MEK vs Pro 2?

4dubs

MEK vs Pro 2?
« on: July 25, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »
Hello guys.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both of these machines.  I'm a current Pro 2 owner, but I know someone selling an MEK (potentiometer edition) at a good price.  If you check my equipment list below, you'll see I need another mono synth like I need a hole in the head, but I'm considering the MEK as a replacement for the Pro 2.  The Pro 2 is great, but I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.  I've never really liked the oscillator section.  Despite the massive amount of control, for me, it takes too much work to make them sound big.  On the other hand, I absolutely love the filter section, and I'm afraid I'll really miss that if I get rid of it.  I also love the Pro 2's paraphonic capabilities. 

I realize this is all very subjective and there is no right answer . . . just looking for opinions.  If it helps, I tend to work with more traditional "analog" style sounds as opposed to the really out there sound design stuff.  Also, I'm assuming the MEK can be poly chained with desktop or rack mount Evolvers to add voices?

Thanks guys!
DSI:  Prophet 6, Rev 2 16v, Pro 2, OB6
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

Sacred Synthesis

Re: MEK vs Pro 2?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:23:55 PM »
You might consider adding a module to your Pro 2 to give yourself the best of both worlds.  Say, a Korg ARP Odyssey, a Vermona Mono Lancet, or some other analog instrument to be controlled by the Pro 2 keyboard?  Or even an Evolver Desktop?

And yes, a MEK and a Desktop can be poly chained.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:25:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

4dubs

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:28:45 PM »
You know, I had a modest 6U eurorack system, which is actually why I originally purchased the Pro 2 . . . because of it's CV ins and outs.  But over time, modular wasn't quite for me, and I sold off the whole system. 

I've worked with synths for a really long time, and as I've gotten older, I guess I've come to appreciate limitations.  I'm usually not so impressed by a synth that "can do every thing".  I like the ones that do a small few things really, really well . . which is why I like your ARP Odyssey suggestion . . . haha!

Anyway, that's why I posted the thread in the first place . . . the Evolver seems like a synth with a lot of character, which is what I'm always on the lookout for.  Thanks for the response. 

Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

chysn

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 05:58:57 AM »
No sense in keeping an instrument you don't love, right?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »
Chysn is right. If you don't gel with the basic sound of the Pro 2 as much as with the Evolver sound, then there's little reason to keep it.

And yes, both sound quite different, which is also due to the Evolver being a true stereo instrument. The latter adds a lot of depth to the sound, also analog-only sounds, which is why I always considered the Evolver series to sound far more dynamic than the Prophet '08 and/or the Mopho with their mono signal paths.

I happen to like the sound of both the Evolver and the Pro 2, but I eventually decided to sell my MEK+Evolver Desktop combo for a Pro 2, which I didn't do in a lighthearted manner. Before the Pro 2 was announced, my original plan was to add a PER to my MEK, but I already found used PER prices to be rather steep a couple of years ago. So the paraphonic mode became the final argument in favor of the Pro 2 that pulled me over. And albeit I immediately clicked with the Pro 2, I never had the impression that I truly replaced anything. Ultimately, both are totally different synths with almost no sonic overlap, despite the overlapping functionality.

4dubs

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »
No sense in keeping an instrument you don't love, right?

Very true, which is why I wound up dumping my little modular system.  As cool as it was, I just didn't love it. 

On the other hand, there are aspects of the Pro 2 that I do indeed love, and it certainly does things that my other instruments cannot. 

Thanks for the responses folks! 

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 02:44:56 AM »
For me, the appeal of an MEK lies with its stereo architecture; there's a tremendous amount that you can do with a single voice and some reverb (as well as with a bit of creative panning at the mixer, say 10 and 2 o'clock). I also appreciate the immediacy of the 16 step-sequencer encoders. The Curtis filters can be quite good, though my only complaint is that the 2-pole mode's resonance is a bit weak (compared to other, later DSI synths).

I moved from a Pro-2 + Prophet-12 desktop to a Prophet-12 keyboard (love those latchable sliders!) + MEK (having owned the Evolver Desktop in the past, I stuck with the rotary encoders). I still love the sound of the Pro-2, especially the SEM filter path, but I wasn't getting as much utility out of it as I had in the past and felt that I needed to change things up a bit.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 09:02:44 AM »
I love my MEK, it’s quite special!
The only thing needed for it is a Desktop Evolver to double the voices!

The Feedback delay is a very unique feature and can be used to add texture between the cycles of the oscillators.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 09:18:13 AM »
The Feedback delay is an amazing feature, just the other night I made a patch that sounds like a hot rod engine revving by turning both the feedback and oscillator 3 FM amount
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com