Really frustrated with P6 USB MIDI

Re: Really frustrated with P6 USB MIDI
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 08:43:42 AM »
I want to add that on my p6 module, the BPM when synced to midi fluctuate from -10 to +10 or so bpm. Its all over the map and just won't sync up. It used to work better before the last update.

Hi dmadurski, I don't want to take for granted that you are using USB Midi, or what your master clock source is, only from the topics in this thread. We would need to know these things in order to help you diagnose your issue. -/+ 10 BPM is a lot, and suggests something other than what the users in this thread are reporting. Please contact us directly in support for troubleshooting: support@davesmithinstruments.com
SEQUENTIAL

DiScO

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 03:59:51 AM »
Ever time I connect my P6 to Logic X via usb something bad happens, even when I'm not clock synced. Either the whole unit freezes, effects/bpm don't respond. the sequencer starts playing by itself when I try to record. None of these problems occur with my P12 and I seldom use the 6 to record because of these problems. I was hoping there would be some kind of update to help. Does anyone else have these problems? Also, Is there a MIDI panic option on the 6, that could maybe help.

I am having the same problem although I've yet to check tempo sync. The P6 MIDI is somehow being dropped in Logic X. Is this still happening to you? If so do me a favour, when you lose connection, go straight to the Audio MIDI setup and hit Rescan MIDI (without touching anything) and let me know if it connects back up straight away, cheers.

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 09:31:28 PM »
I have finished the project I was working on and have started migrating to a new maxed out iMac 5k I7 27inch.

Have been testing the P6 with Logic X over USB with this rig and so far so good. Midi seems tight, midi clock is working as it should to the P6 etc etc.

I am wondering if there could be an issue with older Mac's (mine was a 2009) running latest OS and Logic X with P6 over USB.... I will say the performance improvement, responsiveness and feel of the new iMac blows my old Mac Pro tower out of the water in a Logic X environment (and to think it comes with a free 5k 27inch monitor !)

Anyway I'll report back here over the coming week and let you know if things are stable with the P6 over USB, cheers

DiScO

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 02:03:26 AM »
Ok Thanks, I'm running a late 2013 MacPro (Trash can style), so I'ts a fairly modern Mac. This is something odd between Logic and or the P6. Baffled as never had this problem before, even with the P12.

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 10:30:09 AM »
For those of you experiencing MIDI troubles specific to Logic, I wanted to pop in and list some things to try in terms of reconfiguring Logic's settings, one or more of which is often successful in resolving MIDI issues (not just with the P6, I should add). The following list has been compiled from user feedback, including from our own Bob the Dog--thanks!

1. Uncheck all reset messages: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13368?locale=en_US
2. Turn off MIDI Soft Thru: https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26section=26%26tasks=true
3. In the event that Logic thinks there is a controller on the MIDI port you have your synth connected to, try the following: Logic Pro X->Control Surfaces->Bypass all control surfaces.

I hope this helps.
SEQUENTIAL

DiScO

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »
Hi extempo, these are disabled by default in Logic and I have tried the Bypass control surfaces (of which I have none installed) but the problem persists. Thanks for the info though.

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
What might be worth doing just to check what midi is flying around is to install this: https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Make sure you install the driver that allows spying on midi outputs.

Run it up and spy on all inputs and outputs and have a look at the midi messages, does anything look weird?

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 08:01:30 AM »
Ok Thanks, I'm running a late 2013 MacPro (Trash can style), so I'ts a fairly modern Mac. This is something odd between Logic and or the P6. Baffled as never had this problem before, even with the P12.

Hi DiScO

I had same symptoms on Mac Pro2010(10.8.5) , Studio One3.
That's only occured in USB-MIDI.
P6 OS is 1.3.1
Unit sometime freeze may be happens more at tweeking knobs hard .
But , at Pro Tools12.5 is no problem.
I worried which caused by application? or P6?.
I tried to update MacOS 10.11.5 , but not solved.

So I did downgrade P6OS to 1.2.10b , then no trouble at the moment.
I up date to 1.2.12C again, trouble was occured!.

So I think this problem is caused by OS.
I wait and see on 1.2.10 for the present until next OS release.
unfortunately can't use velocity curve 5 is so favorite , but legacy MIDI is little latency than USB.

If it true caused by OS , I hope that will fix next  update.

(sorry my English is not so good  :P)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:11:05 AM by landscape01 »

DiScO

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 05:55:31 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, those were also my findings in the end. It came with OS 1.2.0 which worked fine with Logic until I updated the P6 to 1.3.1. Hope this gets a fix soon.

Cheers.

autoy

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 05:42:58 PM »
Just chiming in to say the very same problem affects my OB-6 with Logic Pro X 10.2 and now 10.3.

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
Just chiming in to say the very same problem affects my OB-6 with Logic Pro X 10.2 and now 10.3.

Autoy and I have a thread open on the OB6 forum with this issue.

OB6 was fine as shipped with OS version 1.0. As soon as I updated, I had the same issues as him.

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:41 PM »
I just wanted to report the same issues with MIDI over USB and Logic Pro X. I "solved" this by switching to MIDI cables and haven't had any bothersome issues since.

Here are my details:

Prophet-6 OS 1.3.1 (s/n 4xxx)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.4
Anker USB 3.0/2.0 hub (Prophet no longer routed through this)
Logic Pro X 10.3.1 (no configured controllers)

Issues experienced:

- LFO sync to MIDI via USB impossible

- MIDI Clock mode setting frequently would default to Slave Thru (rO), no matter what I selected. Global setting simply would not persist.

- Prophet-6 MIDI recording in Logic would frequently fail; no notes detected (restarting Logic and/or Prophet would fix this temporarily)

- Prophet-6 MIDI playback in Logic would frequently fail; despite recorded notes on the track (restarting Logic and/or Prophet would fix this temporarily)

Anyway, I hope this information will contribute to improved OS updates in the future.

I've since switched to MIDI via a Midiplus 4x4 and everything's fine.

Thanks for an otherwise fine instrument.

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »
For those of you experiencing MIDI troubles specific to Logic, I wanted to pop in and list some things to try in terms of reconfiguring Logic's settings, one or more of which is often successful in resolving MIDI issues (not just with the P6, I should add). The following list has been compiled from user feedback, including from our own Bob the Dog--thanks!

1. Uncheck all reset messages: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13368?locale=en_US

I hope this helps.

This has worked for me!  8)

Disabling all Reset messages in Logic has cured the problem. I tested my OB-6 module and P-6 keyboard all morning with Live and they were both perfect - no issues whatsoever. So this afternoon I went back to Logic and turned off all the Reset Messages - no problems for 4 hours! The only thing I have to do is create a Midi region for OB-6 and P6 that just has CC#4 message. This is the Foot Control message which I set to 127 and forget about it. Logic will chase and pick this up everytime you press play. Message is Bn 04 7F  or 04 127 in decimal. I've now saved this as part of my template. I've been using MIDI clock (both set to nSS) as well.

BTW if I delete these messages both synths eventually produce no sound.

To summarise:

OB-6  Firmware 1.2
P-6 Firmware 1.4  (Local Off)
Logic 10.2.4

Both units run perfectly in Ableton Live so nothing wrong with my synths.
Logic runs fine with reset messages turned off but with the CC#4 messages at the top of the song.

I will test with Cubase tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:56:52 PM by vcfvca »

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »

I hope this helps.

This has worked for me!  8)

Disabling all Reset messages in Logic has cured the problem. I tested my OB-6 module and P-6 keyboard all morning with Live and they were both perfect - no issues whatsoever. So this afternoon I went back to Logic and turned off all the Reset Messages - no problems for 4 hours! The only thing I have to do is create a Midi region for OB-6 and P6 that just has CC#4 message. This is the Foot Control message which I set to 127 and forget about it. Logic will chase and pick this up everytime you press play. Message is Bn 04 7F  or 04 127 in decimal. I've now saved this as part of my template. I've been using MIDI clock (both set to nSS) as well.

Update  :(

Setting Param Xmit/Receive to 'nr' the prof crashed as soon as I started editing the Poly Mod section. If I leave it in CC mode it doesn't crash but then you can't edit all the parameters if you have Local to Off. So seems to be NRPNs that are causing the problem in Logic. Can anyone else verify this?

lt773

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 05:26:56 AM »
I have p6 module on nrpn and using it with logic. I also have a ob6 module on nrpn and I am using my Prophet 12 as a master controller. I have had no issues with the ob6 module, but my p6 module crashes about 1 out of 3 times. A recent culprit has been adjusting the cutoff and then suddenly the p6 with stop responding to midi and the only way to get it back is to power cycle. I don't think there's any issue with my midi set up in logic, I've tried pretty much all options suggested on here. The fact that my ob6 module has not had any problems whatsoever seems strange. I do wish there was a MIDI panic/reset option on these modules though.

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 06:13:00 AM »
I have p6 module on nrpn and using it with logic. I also have a ob6 module on nrpn and I am using my Prophet 12 as a master controller. I have had no issues with the ob6 module, but my p6 module crashes about 1 out of 3 times. A recent culprit has been adjusting the cutoff and then suddenly the p6 with stop responding to midi and the only way to get it back is to power cycle. I don't think there's any issue with my midi set up in logic, I've tried pretty much all options suggested on here. The fact that my ob6 module has not had any problems whatsoever seems strange. I do wish there was a MIDI panic/reset option on these modules though.

The 'Reset All MIDI Drivers' under MIDI preferences seems to bring the P6 back without the need to cycle power. Current workaround in Logic is to leave it in CC mode but switch to Local On if I want to edit any parameters that don't have CCs. BTW I had problems with NRPNs in Cubase AI 8 as well but Ableton Live is fine. Maybe Live handles NRPN messages differently.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:23:07 AM by vcfvca »

lt773

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 09:58:48 AM »
The 'Reset All MIDI Drivers' under MIDI preferences seems to bring the P6 back without the need to cycle power. Current workaround in Logic is to leave it in CC mode but switch to Local On if I want to edit any parameters that don't have CCs. BTW I had problems with NRPNs in Cubase AI 8 as well but Ableton Live is fine. Maybe Live handles NRPN messages differently.

Ok thanks, I'll give that a try next time. Hopefully DSI will get this sorted out in the next update.