Feature requests

Kevin

Re: Feature requests
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
I really liked the Moog One approach of having delay + fade in time + fade out time defined for each LFO.  As you note, this saves on modulation slots, but it also cuts down out needing to devote an envelope to the task.

The 70's-80's Roland's have LFO delay, Juno's, Jupiters, SH's. It's fantastic.

J_P_P

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2020, 07:24:44 PM »
Feature Request :
By a long distance what i believe is severely lacking in the Prophet X is with the Samples "Edit" ...The representaion of the Samples as it it is,  just a simple bar with a 1 to 1000 End and Start point ...is rather basic and not satisfactory IMO.

I would definitely find this useful, less expensive or full-featured products have a waveform view with a real-time playhead that really help with editing samples. I'm honestly a bit surprised this feature isn't present.
Additionally having non-arbitrary representation for the Start, Size, Center, and End values—something like milliseconds and/or seconds instead of just 0-1000 regardless of sample length.

And one last idea I've been thinking about is having some kind of single-cycle-waveform browser instead of loading them like normal samples. Can't go back and change the past but for instance the VS waveforms would be significantly more useful if one didn't have to do the sample stretch and could instead browse them one-by-one in their own sample category.

Yeah..i agree...but the trouble i see in that (changing from 0-1000) is that it would probably change the Presets a lot...maybe an option of choosing ?

But even just a simple representation of the Sample Waveform would be a lot useful ! I still don't understand why they included only a "bar" . I really like the Prophet X , but why they did this, i have no ideia !

Regarding the Prophet VS yes...i agree too. Maybe they did this way , to save some space ? Does it ?  You can work your way around it, but...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:28:28 PM by J_P_P »

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2020, 11:35:31 PM »
Two small things that have I have thought would be nice are:
  • The ability to save a patch with "Edit B Layer" pre-selected. It would be really useful for live use as I like to have a bass or drone that doesn't require tweaking in the left hand and a lead in the right that i can tweak on the fly. Currently Layer A is always the default. Or even being able to flip the split so Layer B is in the left hand

Having the B layer selected is doable now. Make sure you've selected Edit B Layer, then save the patch. It should default to the B layer, then. (Unless I misunderstand that part of the request.)
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

junkmale

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2020, 03:32:12 AM »
Two small things that have I have thought would be nice are:
  • The ability to save a patch with "Edit B Layer" pre-selected. It would be really useful for live use as I like to have a bass or drone that doesn't require tweaking in the left hand and a lead in the right that i can tweak on the fly. Currently Layer A is always the default. Or even being able to flip the split so Layer B is in the left hand
Having the B layer selected is doable now. Make sure you've selected Edit B Layer, then save the patch. It should default to the B layer, then. (Unless I misunderstand that part of the request.)

Strange, I would have thought this would be the default behaviour. I just tested it. I create a new patch with 2 contrasting layers. Set it to Edit B Layer, hit Save, then hit Save again after the naming screen, it then turns Edit Layer B off. This happens if i set it to Split, Stack or Normal mode. I'm on firmware 2.2.0. Is this different to they behaviour on your unit?

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2020, 08:48:19 AM »
This time no feature wish, just bugs.

1. Slope 3 and 4 are done to simulate analog voltage inconsistencies. But their initial value is set way to huge. For example, if you route them to instrument tune.

2. Random LFO which starts on keysync routed to instrument tune in the mod matrix has an audible lag. On every other synth I know, there is no lag on keytriggered LFOs. You hit a key, and something like a very short portamento bends the not from its initial tune to the randomized value.
OB6 desktop x2, DSI Rev2 16, Toraiz AS-1, Prophet 12, Pro 2, Vermona 14, Roland System 8, Matrixbrute, Jomox Sunsyn MKII

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2020, 06:17:55 PM »
Strange, I would have thought this would be the default behaviour. I just tested it. I create a new patch with 2 contrasting layers. Set it to Edit B Layer, hit Save, then hit Save again after the naming screen, it then turns Edit Layer B off. This happens if i set it to Split, Stack or Normal mode. I'm on firmware 2.2.0. Is this different to they behaviour on your unit?

That is odd. I wonder what's different. My Prophet XL is also on the 2.2.0 firmware and it worked for me.

Tried both modification of an existing patch: pressed Edit B Layer, pressed Save, pressed Save again to save in the same location. Worked. And from a basic patch with the same button sequence and it worked for me. In both cases, it was in normal mode (no Split nor Stack). I think I had tested a Split mode at one point, too, but would have to verify, again. In these examples I used U3 P128 (originally also F3 P128).

J_P_P

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2020, 07:14:30 PM »

That is odd. I wonder what's different. My Prophet XL is also on the 2.2.0 firmware and it worked for me.

Tried both modification of an existing patch: pressed Edit B Layer, pressed Save, pressed Save again to save in the same location. Worked. And from a basic patch with the same button sequence and it worked for me. In both cases, it was in normal mode (no Split nor Stack). I think I had tested a Split mode at one point, too, but would have to verify, again. In these examples I used U3 P128 (originally also F3 P128).

Check Globals - A new save edit layer state Global command has been added. When enabled, this command automatically remembers which Layer was active for editing when a program was saved.

Doesn't it work ?

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2020, 08:53:38 PM »
Check Globals - A new save edit layer state Global command has been added. When enabled, this command automatically remembers which Layer was active for editing when a program was saved.

Doesn't it work ?

That'll fix the issue for kevvinm & junkmale. Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about that and definitely have had my Save Edit Layer State global option set to On for a while.

Kevin

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2020, 09:54:00 PM »

Doesn't it work ?

Perfection! That works. Thanks J_P_P & composerjk.

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
And one last idea I've been thinking about is having some kind of single-cycle-waveform browser instead of loading them like normal samples. Can't go back and change the past but for instance the VS waveforms would be significantly more useful if one didn't have to do the sample stretch and could instead browse them one-by-one in their own sample category.

Turn on sample stretch then use the Stretch Key parameter to browse through the samples. Instant waveform browser.

drxcm

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »
This time no feature wish, just bugs.

1. Slope 3 and 4 are done to simulate analog voltage inconsistencies. But their initial value is set way to huge. For example, if you route them to instrument tune.

2. Random LFO which starts on keysync routed to instrument tune in the mod matrix has an audible lag. On every other synth I know, there is no lag on keytriggered LFOs. You hit a key, and something like a very short portamento bends the not from its initial tune to the randomized value.

Can you please report these bugs to sequential support

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2020, 11:12:37 AM »
Feature Request :
By a long distance what i believe is severely lacking in the Prophet X is with the Samples "Edit" ...The representaion of the Samples as it it is,  just a simple bar with a 1 to 1000 End and Start point ...is rather basic and not satisfactory IMO.
It really "needs" or would benefict a proper Sample / Wave visualzization.
IThe ADSR env for example have a simple buf very useful Graphical representaion on the Display, i'd sugest something similarGraphical also. No idea if it's difficult to implement ...but it would be wonderful to have it.

A waveform view would be nice, but which waveform should be displayed? The last key, velocity layer and round robin played? It could be more confusing than helpful since instrument parameters apply to all waveforms in a keymap — not only the one on screen.

I think more drastic changes would be needed before a waveform display makes sense. On the other hand, if someone can spell out how this would work in detail maybe it increases the chances of having it implemented.

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »
Feature Request :
IThe ADSR env for example have a simple buf very useful Graphical representaion on the Display, i'd sugest something similarGraphical also. No idea if it's difficult to implement ...but it would be wonderful to have it.

A waveform view would be nice, but which waveform should be displayed? The last key, velocity layer and round robin played? It could be more confusing than helpful since instrument parameters apply to all waveforms in a keymap — not only the one on screen.

I think more drastic changes would be needed before a waveform display makes sense. On the other hand, if someone can spell out how this would work in detail maybe it increases the chances of having it implemented.

Excellent points on the multisamples, I hadn't thought of that! I think just a playhead indicator on the current display and the position markers in milliseconds would personally help me a great deal (unless different samples for each key/layer can also have different lengths... which I guess explains why it's the arbitrary 0-1000).

J_P_P

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2020, 04:42:27 PM »
Feature Request :

Excellent points on the multisamples, I hadn't thought of that! I think just a playhead indicator on the current display and the position markers in milliseconds would personally help me a great deal (unless different samples for each key/layer can also have different lengths... which I guess explains why it's the arbitrary 0-1000).

Maybe a way to select / cycle manually between the different Samples Waveforms ? There are lots of buttons above / bellow the Main Led screen.
Or for example...press the key and the relevant Wave from the Key / Velocity will appear ? Any sort of option that allows the option of seeing the Wave instead of just that bar, would be a improvment.

LoboLives

« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2020, 07:44:54 AM »
Sequencer transpose without having to hold down the Rec button. I know this was implemented in Unison mode on the Prophet 6 and OB6 but it would be a very helpful performance feature on the PX. Especially in split mode where you are transposing a bass sequence with your left hand and doing pads or a lead with your right hand.

Kevin

« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2020, 01:52:05 AM »
Late last year I transitioned from the OB6 to the PX for shows as I need to get more sounds in 1 box for touring (whenever that happens again). One thing I really miss is the program change buttons on the OB/P6. I have set up the playlists which are helpful but one thing that annoys me is when I adjust a parameter, the screen jumps out of playlist mode and the quick select buttons are gone. In general I will just have to get used to the PX and navigating it more intuitively but I think that when playlist mode is selected, the synth should be locked in playlist mode and not jump out of it when say the filter is adjusted. It really makes performances that require quick program transitions hard.

« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2020, 08:58:18 AM »
Something I've been thinking about is the ability to browse the samples by type across banks. I purchased all of the 8DIO samples when they are on sale and when I'm looking for a synthesized string sound or different triangle waves, I forget which banks have which kind of content.

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2020, 07:40:59 AM »
Features id like to have are:

1: Random and audio out mod sources like in the P12.

2: A mode where a sample is triggered with a key press and doesnt stop playing until the end. No more samples on the instrument engine in question would be triggered on subsequent keypresses before the sample is finished. This way you could play on top of longer samples. I know workarounds are possible with turning "key follow" off, or using multiple layers, but it would be very convenient anyway. And i think it would synergize well with everything that is possible on the instrument.

3: Bypassing option for oscillators and instruments individually to bypass the LPF and/or the effects. I have to say that the Prophet X is maybe the most sonically versatile instrument ever (no wonder since you can litterally put any sound into it), but with a filter and effects bypassing option for oscs and instruments it would be even more sonically versatile and sound sculpting hands on. I would looooove this option, but hey, the instrument is sooo good anyway, so it feels humbling to even suggest features.

You Sequential guys are AWESOME ❤️ Thank you for your hard work, and new congratulations on the Prophet 5! Im sure its gonna be great and do well 😊🎊

« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2020, 06:05:15 AM »
Really loving the prophet x - the combination of samples and oscillators with a ton of modulation possibilities is amazing.  There's a few things I'd really love to see in an update:

* linear FM/thru zero of the samples and oscillators
* less glitchy modulation of center location for samples - this doesn't really act as I expected, and I'm wondering if it's a matter of having a sample length that corresponds right to the prophet that would do the trick.  What I'd really love to be able to do is load some samples ala Ensoniq Transwaves and modulate them (somewhat) smoothly.  Barring an across the board fix, is there any way to create an app for instance that can help users create wavetables similar to the pro 3 that work in a similar smoother manner?  Maybe there is a new loop mode that is something like splitting the sample into N number of parts and people could make samples that have exactly N cycles to modulate through and the prophet properly smooths out the transitions and loop points.
* more waveforms for the oscillators - these could be accessible only via the menus and show up as all lights on or something.  One of the most promising things is modulating Sine shape with a sample - you get a sort of additive synth version of the sample, but it doesn't get bright enough - so I'd love to see some variations of Sines added - e.g. sines that morph into FM of that sine (similar to some wavetables on the Pro 3), triangle and sine with wave folding, etc. 
* a phase control for the oscillators that could be modulated - this would let you do phase distortion synthesis ala the Casio CZ series, and would be very powerful with samples as modulators
* an EQ - I _think_ the signal path is all analog with effects added, so this might only be possible in the digital domain, but perhaps a way to enable EQ that routes through digital (but doesn't use an effects slot) that's 2 band shelving with frequency control - the VCA has a blank slot that would be perfect for this. 
* slew/smoothing for modulation sources
* log/lin/exp (ideally a knob to morph through all) for the envelopes
* note num is very useful as a modulation source per voice, but I think it's perhaps last note priority when used for a single source (e.g. effects) - adding highest/lowest note as another option for note number would allow some better modulation of effects (e.g. highpass) from chords
* ability to change polarity of oscillators and instruments - being able to cancel each other out can help a lot with some types of sound design

Keep up the great work!

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2021, 03:41:59 PM »
More modulation destinations required please including:
BPM
Clock Divide
All arpeggiator functions
Sample Reverse
Oscillator Fine Tune