Feature requests

Re: Feature requests
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 05:47:11 PM »
Could there be anything added that would deal with the phasing of oscillator samples start points.

Presuming you're referring to oscillators and not samples (your question was a little ambiguous on that front), the fact that they start at arbitrary points is intentional and often useful.  It emulates the free-running oscillators on a conventional synthesizer design.

If you want to defeat this, just turn on Wave Reset on the Osc Shape tab as described on page 27 of the manual.

LoboLives

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »
I made a post about this but got no responses thus far. Anyone's thoughts on this...

It’s a bit of a loaded question/request but one thing I love on the P6 is being able to have the sequencer running and alternating between patches which in turn alternates between different sequences. On the PX, this doesn’t happen. Switching patches just stops the sequencer entirely. It would be a great performance aspect to have, especially on drum based patches. Alternating between sequences and patches with no interruption.

I also noticed that in a split based patch, when I select “Edit Layer B” there is a slight and awkward pause if the sequencer on Layer A is playing.

Is there a way to implement this or somehow improve these awkward pauses or sequencer behaviour with an OS update or is it just the way the samples are implemented that it’s not possible?

laurentluigi

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 07:08:56 AM »
It will be nice to have a Delay time directly on the LFO's menu. Just to use Mod Slot on something else.

laurentluigi

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 06:23:39 AM »
It will be nice to have the possibility to modulate the Sample's "tone" without using the HPF for both Osc and Inst.

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 09:41:00 AM »
i made an account just to post this request:

a shortcut key to copy settings from INSTR 1 to INSTR 2.
Which means: copy the same sample + all settings.

This could be very handy to thicken up a sound, and panning them left and right stereo. It's a hassle to locate the key (stretch sample settings). This will save a lot of time!

i think someone else mentioned this also in the gearslutz forum.

+1

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2019, 09:42:38 AM »
i would love to see those parameters for the FX:

1. HIGHPASS. so important to take out low frequency mud

2. spread from mono to super stereo

3. ability to put FX on one side and dry signal on the other

Agree: digital HP filter FX mode is great. More alternate filter fx like BP/Ntch/comb would be awesome.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:35:24 AM by abstrx »

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
Hello,
it will be cool to have the Fx values moving when they're modulated.

+1

yes, live values when being modulated from a physical source (like MW or touch strip) would be helpful.
-j

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »
4 wishes (other than more digital filter Fx, & displaying live mod values when controlled via physical source)...

1) Would love to be able to record mod motion from Touch strips to Env 3 and 4. Like programming looping ADSR via capturing motion from the strips, like a mini automation. I'm thinking press and hold Env 3 button + Touch 1 to enable it, same for Env 4 + Strip 2.  (( or a quick way of motion capturing any mod source to play back from Env 3/4. I'd even sacrifice Env 4 to have 3 become an 8 segment envelope in that mode if feasible).

right now I stack mod sources and add touch strips to control Amt of Env 3 and 4, works, but would be nice to have it be handsfree after the first run and save with the patch :)

2) some quick way to separate VCF control of Sample voices vs VCO's. Yes, this can be done via Stacking 2 patches, but I frequently want to save different cutoff/res/drive values for Osc's vs samples then save and control them together from then on.

3) #2 reminded me I keep wanting a quick way of changing Octave +/- for sample voices only vs Osc's without having to Stack A+B to separate.

4) ability to copy sequences between patches - like Tempest's copy beat or selective copy feat.

:)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:04:35 AM by abstrx »

laurentluigi

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2019, 07:32:03 AM »
hello,

for me, still same !
Have the choice, same as the Inst 1 and 2, to let Oscillators goes thru the filter or not!

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2019, 12:21:40 AM »
I'd like to be able to switch sounds without the switched-from sound cutting off.  And would be nice to switch patches while holding the sustain pedal and not have the sound cut out.
When all else fails, follow the directions.

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2019, 04:29:22 AM »
  • Chord mode for the arpeggiator
  • Ability to modulate note assigned to sample stretch, so one could, for example, set one of the VS waveforms across the keyboard but then use the mod wheel to scroll through the rest of the keymap

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2019, 04:57:02 AM »
I've written about this in another area of the forum, but my feature requests apply to sampling. The PX has the potential to become the best sound design sampler ever, but is crippled by the way user sampling is implemented. I'd like to see.

Transfer of individual sample instruments directly via USB cable from the computer into chosen slots on the PX.
Deletion of individual instruments via the above.
Rearrangement and renaming of instruments via the above.

For the sampling application (Lady G has addressed some of these issues in the PX editor).

Import of AIFF files and automatic conversion to 16bit 48kHz. External conversion can often lose metadata including loops and root notes.
Proper midi and audio implementation for audition of samples—it would be useful to be able to play these like you would on the PX.
Visual sample looping and some simple processing (EQ, Normalisation etc).

Nord do this very well with their sample/sound manager applications. The PX takes me back to Ensoniq Mirage days.

Stephen

blewis

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 05:00:41 PM »
Free Run Sample Instrument Mode.

Upon patch loading, all allocated sample oscillators will randomly adjust their start point (up to, but not beyond, the loop point) and continuously loop the sample in the background. Beyond the initial random index, the sample continuously loops in the background.

For samples oscillators, this would emulate the natural phase differences of analog oscillators.

This is different than just altering the start point (which currently requires sample edit and breaks the defined loop points). This lets the length of the sample and it’s randomized start point determine the oscillator phase between voices and within a single voice.

Someone has asked for it before, but I haven’t seen it described like this.

Thoughts? This plus slop and we might get sea sick. :-)

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »
AIFF file support isn’t out of the question for PXToolkit.  The format is well specified and should be efficient to convert from.  It’s also surprisingly common, irritatingly enough, for AIFF format files to be given a .wav extension.  I’ve seen it often enough that there’s now a dedicated error message when detecting AIFF content.

Support for 24-bit audio is a little less straightforward since I’d want to do at least basic dithering, but it’s not totally out of the question.  High quality sample rate conversion is computationally intensive enough that you really don’t want to do it over and over on every export.  I did implement a fun workaround in v0.9.8 that supports arbitrary sample rates by letting the Prophet X do the work, but that’s not always ideal.  It is, however, convenient.

drxcm

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2019, 01:27:43 AM »
Simple request for Local behavior  :

I’m using the PX as my master keyboard with Local off, but often I just want to make patches and keep everything else switched off.

A quick button combo for Local On / Off, or putting it in the global menu in the first position, would be super handy.

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2019, 01:20:44 AM »
I'll add these here.

Some form of modulated granular synthesis.

Some way to sweep through specified portions of a sample via a modulation source.

Stephen

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2019, 01:22:43 AM »
Simple request for Local behavior  :

I’m using the PX as my master keyboard with Local off, but often I just want to make patches and keep everything else switched off.

A quick button combo for Local On / Off, or putting it in the global menu in the first position, would be super handy.

Yes!

It's a real pain when you have the DAW fired up. I don't always as I like to use the X standalone.

I wish the synth had a proper 76 note weighted keybed.

Stephen

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2019, 06:30:29 AM »
I vote for a granular option ! Omnisphere can permit this functionality, why do not include it in the PXOS ?

After all... Do you really think there will be an update ?... After one year and the mess with 8dio and the editor, did Sequential give up our precious Prophet X ?

laurentluigi

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2019, 06:51:41 AM »
My G...!.... you're maybe right !!

No news since a long time.... even after all this mess....

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2019, 08:19:57 AM »
I wouldn’t read anything into their silence.  Sequential doesn’t have a team dedicated to each device, they have a talented group of passionate individuals who work on every product they put out.  They’ve already mentioned a new product they expected to announce later this year, and are doubtless hard at work on getting it ready for its turn in the spotlight.

... but Sequential has shown, time and again, that they are willing to go back and invest in making the most of the hardware they’ve already shipped, too.  Witness the big update for the Pro 2, adding linear FM late in the product’s production lifetime.  I expect Sequential has plenty of ideas for where they might take the Prophet X next, too.

As always it’s best to buy an instrument for what it is today.  Every day we see a new sample pack from 8Dio, a third party like Goldbaby, or from the community like our own VCO Pack, it just gets better as is starting to feel like it’s hitting its stride.  New firmware features would just be icing on the cake.