Tips & Tricks

Tips & Tricks
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
There is a thread for this over at dsiforum.com but I couldn't find one posted here so I figured I create one myself.

Alright:

Monophonic stereo sound

As of OS 1.3 you can create monophonic sounds with wide stereo image using only a single layer, leaving the other layer free for other uses. This is due to the improved unison modes which allow you to use anywhere from 1 to all voices.

• Make sure Unison is on.
  • Set Mode to 2 voices.
  • Set Pan Spread to 127.
  • Done. :)

• If you want more variation between the left and right voices you can use modulation slots to affect LFOs, envelopes, pitch, and other destinations using the Random Mod source.
  • Enabling WAVE RESET on oscillators will make them start of mono and drift towards stereo provided that Slop isn't 0.
Prophet 12

Re: Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:08:58 AM »
Obvious once it's been pointed out, but what a good idea!

Thanks HESpook!  8)

Martin

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I will say that I found a bug on oscillator 8 that appears to detune faster than all the other voices.  I confirmed this bug with support and they have it on the docket to be fixed.  To see what I mean perform these steps:

- Create a Basic Program
 - Hold down Edit Layer A+B to edit both layers
 - Turn on Unison
 - Use 6 voice mode
 - Turn Detune to 40
 - Turn on Stack
 - It is at this point that both should pretty much sound the same as far as detuning goes.  They don't however.  Continue with next steps
 - At this point if you were to turn off Stack and switch between A + B the detuning would sound perfect because the first 6 voices are being used for both Layer A and B independently.
 - To truly test the detuning issues force Layer B to use voices 7 - 12 by itself by turning on Midi Multi Mode
 - At this point you can now switch between A and B layer with A using voices 1 - 6 and B using 7 - 12. (I use this mode a lot as I am typically using all 4 outs fed to quadrophonic speakers)
 - If you listen, Layer B on voices 7 - 12 are not as in tune as Layer A using voices 1 - 6.  I have to reduce Layer B's unison mode to 20 to bring it back in line.
 - I suspect a weird voice 8 because when I go from 1 voice to 2 programming layer B on voices 7 - 12 it is pretty much out of tune at 40.  Not all of the rest of the voices have this problem that I can see.
Fantom 7 | Moog One | Pro3 | Summit | OB-X8 | Digitakt | Digitone | Syntakt | Iridium KB | 7u x 104hp Eurorack | H9000 | A&H SQ5 Mixer

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:06:39 PM »
Very interesting. So this is a bug on all P12s then? To be clear -- the issue is that, when using detune in unison mode, voice #8 detunes more drastically for the same value as the other voices?

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:15:01 PM »
Very interesting. So this is a bug on all P12s then? To be clear -- the issue is that, when using detune in unison mode, voice #8 detunes more drastically for the same value as the other voices?

That is what I've found.  Follow my exact steps and see if this happens to your 12?  This has been tested at DSI as I gave them these exact instructions.  They found the same problem.
Fantom 7 | Moog One | Pro3 | Summit | OB-X8 | Digitakt | Digitone | Syntakt | Iridium KB | 7u x 104hp Eurorack | H9000 | A&H SQ5 Mixer

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »
Just FYI, the latest patch, still didn't fix the above problem.  I've opened a support case.