Trying to experiment with the Glide function

LoboLives

Trying to experiment with the Glide function
« on: July 19, 2018, 09:46:37 PM »
I'm trying to find the right Glide setting to give non fretted instruments (or even vocal samples) a more natural sounding portamento. I tried each setting and I find either it's not noticeable to the sound at all or it's way too noticeable where it's totally unnatural sounding. Any tips?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Trying to experiment with the Glide function
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 01:40:50 AM »
I read somewhere, that glide is not possible with samples unless they are stretched... also, if you are using glide with a polyphonic program, it may sound like shit if the X is using the same way of doing it as any other DSI synth, with the pitch gliding in all directions...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
I read somewhere, that glide is not possible with samples unless they are stretched... also, if you are using glide with a polyphonic program, it may sound like shit if the X is using the same way of doing it as any other DSI synth, with the pitch gliding in all directions...

Yes that is correct that you need to stretch the same but I noticed that you can either notice the glide drastically or not at all, there’s no happy medium. What setting would be best though? Fixed Rate? Fixed Time?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »

Yes that is correct that you need to stretch the same but I noticed that you can either notice the glide drastically or not at all, there’s no happy medium. What setting would be best though? Fixed Rate? Fixed Time?

I I usually use fixed rate so that no matter how far apart the keys are, they reach the end pitch in the same amount of time... that to me sounds most musical with lead sounds... the glide Rate parameter needs to be drastically different to hear the effect using the two modes... it's most likely because you have not set the rate high enough with the mode you were using I'd say...

I never use glide with polyphonic stuff on DSI synths because it sounds terrible to be honest... it's a hardware thing... only with monophonic material.
If you need me, follow the shadows...