Demo-Weary

jg666

Re: Demo-Weary
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2018, 05:42:57 AM »
I still watch a lot of YouTube synth videos but as soon as they start getting into modular stuff I find that an immediate turn off (usually). There are far too many people messing around with modular gear who have no musical talent at all. I don’t have a problem with that, if you’re enjoying what you’re doing then that is fine, but trying to pass it off to the World as musical talent then I draw the line.

I’ll probably upset a few people saying this !!
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
Music is sport.....

chysn

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »
Music is sport.....

Music is wiggly air.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 09:54:44 PM »
Music is sport.....

Music is wiggly air.

LOL!  Yes, it is.  It's also subjective.

LoboLives

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 01:22:58 AM »
I have always defined music as focused noise.

megamarkd

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2018, 01:44:47 AM »

Listen to much PWEI?  Heheh, I don't blame you if you say no but are actually lying, I pretend I didn't sometimes ;)

LoboLives

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 09:18:12 AM »

Listen to much PWEI?  Heheh, I don't blame you if you say no but are actually lying, I pretend I didn't sometimes ;)

I haven’t even heard of them until I looked them up after I saw your post haha.

dsetto

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2018, 12:49:18 AM »
Would you agree this thread is discussing two separate notions: Music and YouTube Synthesizer Demos? They are related, and not.

I wish more musicians like myself would take the synthesizer seriously.  What would that look like from a video perspective (since we started out talking about YouTube)?  To describe a setting: a musician sitting at a full-sized polyphonic synthesizer under a desk lamp in front of a music stand playing powerful and expressive solo synthesizer pieces, complete from start to finish; fresh new compositions that are ten or twenty minutes long, with dynamic changes, theme and development, melody, harmony, and contrapuntal or even fugal; preludes, interludes, postludes, and meditations; and every note and nuance scored.  In other words, something totally different.  That's all I'm talking about and wishing for.
That would be interesting. ... I once saw a video of an monophonic ensemble. It reminds me of what you're describing.

I believe the following ...
… I wish more musicians like myself would take the synthesizer seriously.  …
... simply means that Sacred Synthesis wishes that other musicians that share some of the characteristics described in his post would use the synthesizer as their primary instrument of musical expression. It does not communicate that musicians embracing different approaches or goals don’t take their pursuits seriously.

dsetto

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:44 AM »

In this thread several main musical areas have been discussed.

- Form of pitches & "pitch-sequences", aka melodies.
- Their micro-placement in time. Aka, rhythm, or better performed-rhythm, i.e. groove.
- Organized sound. Organized noise. (Aka, Lobo's "focused noise")

Each musical land can have a different combination of emphases of those things. Electrical architects have brought us together, here.

__
Personally, I've gravitated away from written/scored long-form musical expression. (I still and have always improvised, simply.) I was drawn to the synthesizer for its capability of musical expression, including its rhythmically responsive action. And its portability. I convinced myself because of its capability to musically express noise. Otherwise, I had an old piano.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:15:52 AM by dsetto »

dsetto

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
Would you agree this thread is discussing two separate notions: Music and YouTube Synthesizer Demos? They are related, and not.

Yes, the original topic has broken up into two different issues.  I only intended the YouTube theme.  ...
I meant ...
There is a wide variety of motivations & intentions for posting a YouTube video that is explicitly synthesizer-centric. With respect to this thread, these can range from a purely musical expression to a purposefully un-musical demonstration of the gadget. ... I wonder if there exists videos on YouTube that are not linked in any way to synthesizer-related terms, but is synthesizer-centric music that possesses the qualities you seek. And then, I wonder how much of that exists on an audio-only platform?

What I am trying to say is something you know firsthand. "Demos" and musical expression aren't necessarily linked. Perhaps, infrequently linked. ... In writing this, I realize what an interesting notion that itself is. Now I think of the New Orchestra period. The New Piano period. The New Rock Band period. The New Drum Machine period. The New Large Architectural period, presented by sacred human voice only. In a sense, demos. The pervasive screen. The attention span. The new time.

And I'll end with: Have you explored different ways of seeking? ... If you start your blog reporting your findings, send us its link. ... Blogs. Have you tried finding what you seek there?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »

I wish more musicians like myself would take the synthesizer seriously.  What would that look like from a video perspective (since we started out talking about YouTube)?  To describe a setting: a musician sitting at a full-sized polyphonic synthesizer under a desk lamp in front of a music stand playing powerful and expressive solo synthesizer pieces, complete from start to finish; fresh new compositions that are ten or twenty minutes long, with dynamic changes, theme and development, melody, harmony, and contrapuntal or even fugal; preludes, interludes, postludes, and meditations; and every note and nuance scored.  In other words, something totally different.  That's all I'm talking about and wishing for.
That would be interesting. ... I once saw a video of an monophonic ensemble. It reminds me of what you're describing.

I believe the following ...
… I wish more musicians like myself would take the synthesizer seriously.  …
... simply means that Sacred Synthesis wishes that other musicians that share some of the characteristics described in his post would use the synthesizer as their primary instrument of musical expression. It does not communicate that musicians embracing different approaches or goals don’t take their pursuits seriously.

Thank you, Dsetto.  That's exactly correct.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »
And I'll end with: Have you explored different ways of seeking? ... If you start your blog reporting your findings, send us its link. ... Blogs. Have you tried finding what you seek there?

I try to avoid using this forum as a means of promoting my own philosophy.  Once in a while, I fail and say more than is prudent, as on this thread.  My intended approach is always, "Shut up and do it."  I shouldn't bother trying to describe it, nor defend it.  Doing so is always a vain effort.  Besides, this is a DSI company blog, and I try to respect that.  But I do have a blog, which is linked under each YouTube posting.  It's only a beginning, but it does and will describe a very different approach to synthesis. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:02:27 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
I saw a concert some time ago that at times basically sounded like Sacred Synthesis were playing. There are differences though as they were four people on stage featuring drums, vocals, QuNexus operated eurorack for sound effects and of cause quite some analog and digital synths. Their artistic goal is to make synthesized chamber music. So I suggested that they checked out Sacred Synthesis on youtube.

Short summary: There are young artists out there who wants to make synthesized classical music.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
Thanks, Dslsynth.  That's interesting and encouraging.  When I first got back into synthesis in the significant year of 2008(!), I was dreaming of creating a synthesizer ensemble for performing compositions in this style, but much more elaborate.  Not showy, but more musically advanced.  Having been around traditional musicians my entire life, I presumed it would be easy enough to gradually find synthesists and other musicians with similar interests.  Now there's a lesson learned! 

I'm still strongly of the belief that the synthesizer's potential in this musical domain remains nearly untapped.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:51:53 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »
And that is why I just think you should just go for it. Maybe only a few other people can see the light. But who cares!? Your collection of youtube videos shows the musical substance of what you want to create.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
You're right.  Thanks, again.

dsetto

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »
Neat - on a blog discussing what you enjoy about synthesis. ... By the way, what I intended to express with both mentions of "blog" was one that presented links to other people's music. ...

This is the "Off Topic" section of this forum. It is important to this forum that there remain a place for engaging & healthy discussion of music and synthesizers that are beyond gear acquisition. We don't all need to share all the same values. We're each our ever-changing combination.  ...

I'll repeat that reading your thoughtful discussions on the Prophet '08 literally promoted my eventual purchase of a Rev2. Although it sounds strange, the discussions between you and all the other active Pre-Prophet 12 keyboard folk were a positive, in my book, for pursuing a DSI keyboard synth. Different forums have different, vibrant spirits. (The Tempest forum was its own breed. As is the drummer.)

-
I began to very slowly get into hardware keyboards around 2008 as well. Early thing I observed: the permanence of the "cheesy" keyboard demo. A peculiar art-form. And I mean, the salesman at the brick & mortar store. It was exactly as I remembered it as a kid. The "blues" scale. Lots of thrown away, missed keys. As if making 60% sound-to-effort mattered more than 10% quality, intended pitch in time. ... Things have changed, and not.

A demo is a demo.
Music is music.
Some make music as the demo. The Quality Demonstration. It is an interesting notion; one I had forgotten about, until this thread, today.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »
By the way, what I intended to express with both mentions of "blog" was one that presented links to other people's music. ...

Yes, I've many times thought of doing that.  I had such a thread on the old DSI/Prophet forum that linked to YouTube videos of synthesizer arrangements/performances of classical music.  It included some rather spicy discussions.  But it takes an immense amount of time searching through the bowels of YouTube if it's to be done with any completeness - many late nights, so that I decided I wouldn't do it again here or elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:10:11 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2018, 05:20:22 AM »
I have to admit the one channel on youtube that convinced me to investigate synths in more detail was not one tediously "demonstrating" oscillators and filter settings on a bunch of synths, but one that creates actual music, that allowed me to dream of what I perhaps one day could accomplish if only I work hard enough (and even if I can't accomplish it, the journey is more interesting than reaching the goal). If you look for "marc melia music for prophet 08" in youtube you'll find the videos I'm referring to. Not classical music, but incredibly well done.

I too have been disappointed that there aren't a lot more channels like his, showing off finished compositions.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart: we live in times of instant gratification - buy anything online and it's delivered the next day! ("Free of risk" cause you can send it back if you don't like it.) Post a video/picture online and get instant likes! Binge watch an entire season of your favorite series over the weekend instead of waiting for a next episode every week, etc.

Instant gratification is what makes alcohol, drugs, gambling and social media so addictive, and marketeers are happy to exploit the mechanism for short-term profit.

Evidence seems to suggest this very mechanism is one that on the longer term is undermining the fabric of society leading to rise in populism world-wide, increasing depression, burn-out and suicide rates in young adolescents, and crappy synth demos on youtube.

Here's something I found worth my time touching on these subjects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As8XkJNaHbs.

Watch it for some instant gratification and some mid-term agony :)

--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »
Interesting post and one I agree with mostly.

"Undermining the fabric of society" is one way of looking at it and is the basic view once you get older, I for one now say exactly the same things that used to annoy me about the older generation when I was young. I have become one of the people that had a structure to be undermined.

Another way of thinking about It is "changing the fabric of society" which is something that has been happening constantly since the concept of time was invented.

It will all be different soon.