Demo-Weary

Re: Demo-Weary
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2019, 07:56:50 PM »
I dont see the point of putting up blogs, youtube channels and wasting time in the whole social media world trying to get validation. Bottom line for me music is a way of earning a living. I got an Electrical engineering degree and somehow ended up with a studio :) long story. I enjoy what I do and get a paycheck for it, thats more than enough for me.

People need to stop worrying about what other people do or trying to get social media pats on the back. Its a waste of time. Spending Hours a day watching people testing instruments seems counterproductive. Much better to spend that time elsewhere like honing your skills and improving your trade or go out and smell the flowers.

You have people who put up youtube channels and they get upset because they get few views, like somehow having lots of views validates thier existence these individuals are stressed and upset because other channels get more views and they feel that they are the superior channel with better content but somehow society fails to recognize thier great skills. Stop wasting your time with such nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:59:44 PM by cornonthecob »
Moog Modular Model 15,Korg Prophecy,Korg Z1,Nord Modular Keyboard,DSI OB6,DSI P12,DSI Rev 2 16voiceMoog Minimoog D,SEM Modules,Moog Slim Phattys,Alesis QS 8.1,Alesis QSR,Roland Integra 7,Genelec 8341s,8040,8030,Novation Peak,Kawai K5000R,Eurorack Modulars,etc..

LoboLives

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
I dont see the point of putting up blogs, youtube channels and wasting time in the whole social media world trying to get validation. Bottom line for me music is a way of earning a living. I got an Electrical engineering degree and somehow ended up with a studio :) long story. I enjoy what I do and get a paycheck for it, thats more than enough for me.

People need to stop worrying about what other people do or trying to get social media pats on the back. Its a waste of time. Spending Hours a day watching people testing instruments seems counterproductive. Much better to spend that time elsewhere like honing your skills and improving your trade or go out and smell the flowers.

You have people who put up youtube channels and they get upset because they get few views, like somehow having lots of views validates thier existence these individuals are stressed and upset because other channels get more views and they feel that they are the superior channel with better content but somehow society fails to recognize thier great skills. Stop wasting your time with such nonsense.

Well there's a few ways of looking at this.

1.) Not everyone is making money doing what they love. You are very fortunate that way. I'm still waiting on unpaid invoices from clients for soundtrack work I've done for their films. I've had checks bounce. I've had people dismiss me almost immediately with the very mention of an original soundtrack before even asking me my rate because they want to go with what's the cheapest thing possible. The reality of being a composer for film and television is we are the last ones in at the party and first ones out the door. There's no other position in the film industry that can be dismissed with four simple words "We'll use stock music."

2.) A lot of synth YouTubers from around the world got to fly to Germany recently and meet up at Thomann's Synth Reactor. I don't know what the exact criteria was, but I'm sure number of views/followers had something to do with it. I have no illusions that my channel is going to get anywhere near the amount of followers BoBeats or Synthmania or Dawless Jammin have, I know it's not and I've accepted that. My stuff is too niche, my videos are bland and my content isn't marketable. I don't do EDM or Acid jams or Eurorack synthscapes. I don't do Depeche Mode or Genesis covers. I do cult film soundtracks and I know that most people who play synths aren't into them. Most synth players don't care about those soundtracks or what synths were used. Hell, I was at the Composers Guild Of Canada a week or so ago and more than half the composers there don't even listen to soundtracks let alone synth based ones. It's just not a popular thing.

I was one of the first people to do Prophet X videos on YouTube. None of those demonstrations got shared. They barely got any views. I'm not on any artists roster. I've never been asked to do an artist interview. I just do what I do for fun now because it helps me avoid going into a depression. It just helps me get through the day and strive towards something. Sometimes that's more worth it than a paycheck. Still...makes me kind of sad to see my name on a movie poster and have the film win an award and see no change in my bank account and no requests for future soundtrack work.

So while it would be nice to make money off of music. It's just not the reality for a lot of us and in many cases, it never will be.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:57:38 PM by LoboLives »

jok3r

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2019, 01:59:02 AM »
I'm just looking at all the cool vids from the Thomann Synth Reactor... and I like it very much to see all the more or less famous Youtubers having the same fun in Treppendorf that I have regularly. Especially when they go "wow look at all the stuff thoman has!"

This is my favorite gem

It not only show's the fun the people had in these days, but also show's the strength of our local German (especially Franconian) beer ;-)  I can't stop watching this. Marc Doty is such a funny person ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »
Since the thread derailed from demo-weary to beer-thirsty, I decided to split the topics from here on.