Something Seems Dreadfully Wrong (With Mine) [SOLVED]

Re: Something Seems Dreadfully Wrong (With Mine)
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 12:55:43 AM »
At 4:14 in the video, it’s coming out of the B outputs because you don’t have the synth in split mode. And that’s why it’s sharing voices as it goes through each note. By default the synth will send half the voices to output B if there’s plugs in it, regardless.

Since the layer B voice is effectively switched off, the synth is sharing the layer A voice between both A and B outputs.
And the same thing will happen if you only have layer B activated; which happens in your video.

I understand your frustration, because that’s just inconvenient to say the least. Basically it will always share voices between both output A&B  if split mode is not active. But if you just leave it in split you should have no worries.

Incedently, this is why I got the 16 voice. I wanted to have Two 8voice synths.

Ok so please guys tell me if this is possible ( I did not take time to try multi yet ) in case you do not exceed the max voices per layer:

- control Layer A in your daw on CH1 , and real time knobs etc tweak of Layer A on the rev2 --- > main output
- control Layer B in your daw on CH2, and real time knobs etc tweak of Layer B on the rev2 --- > second output

Yes

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 01:00:22 AM »
You have two 8 voice synths in a REV2 16 voice... one synth is permanently and physically routed to the A outputs, and the other synth to the B outputs.

If you play in split mode and stacked mode, the two synths are each on their own, working as 8 voice synths, either playing side by side, or on top of each other...

but if you play in 16 voice mode, the two synths are working together to give you 16 voices... they are daisy chained internally, but you have to understand that the two synths are STILL routed to their own pair of outputs...

The problem is that you think too much in layers... you think that layer A should allways play on the A outputs, but this is NOT the case when you play a 16 voice combined program... internally Layer A's program will be copied to Layer B, so that both synths play the same program, giving you the illusion of having a 16 voice synth... you do not... you have TWO synths playing the same program, each with 8 voices routed to their own respective outputs.

The only way to fix this 16 voice mode to come out of only one output is by either mixing the two stereo tracks in your DAW or soundcard, or to remove the plugs from the B outputs so that the REV2 mixes anything going to the B outputs into the A outputs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your REV2 :) ... only thing you need to do to make things the way you want them is to take out the B output plugs when you want a 16 voice program to enter your soundcard on only one stereo input... I know this is not what you expected, but unless you have the means to mix stereo channels on your soundcard into one stereo input pair, then you need to pull the plugs on the B output to get what you want when playing a 16 voice program.

I think everyone understands that when you use a single layer it will be distributed over the 2 stereo outputs if you connect both. The problem is when you have Split, Stack or multi mode on; the sound of the B output ALSO plays on the A output (in my case). I don't always have this problem and it seems that I can solve it by switch the REV2 off and on.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 01:09:16 AM »
You have two 8 voice synths in a REV2 16 voice... one synth is permanently and physically routed to the A outputs, and the other synth to the B outputs.

If you play in split mode and stacked mode, the two synths are each on their own, working as 8 voice synths, either playing side by side, or on top of each other...

but if you play in 16 voice mode, the two synths are working together to give you 16 voices... they are daisy chained internally, but you have to understand that the two synths are STILL routed to their own pair of outputs...

The problem is that you think too much in layers... you think that layer A should allways play on the A outputs, but this is NOT the case when you play a 16 voice combined program... internally Layer A's program will be copied to Layer B, so that both synths play the same program, giving you the illusion of having a 16 voice synth... you do not... you have TWO synths playing the same program, each with 8 voices routed to their own respective outputs.

The only way to fix this 16 voice mode to come out of only one output is by either mixing the two stereo tracks in your DAW or soundcard, or to remove the plugs from the B outputs so that the REV2 mixes anything going to the B outputs into the A outputs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your REV2 :) ... only thing you need to do to make things the way you want them is to take out the B output plugs when you want a 16 voice program to enter your soundcard on only one stereo input... I know this is not what you expected, but unless you have the means to mix stereo channels on your soundcard into one stereo input pair, then you need to pull the plugs on the B output to get what you want when playing a 16 voice program.

I think everyone understands that when you use a single layer it will be distributed over the 2 stereo outputs if you connect both. The problem is when you have Split, Stack or multi mode on; the sound of the B output ALSO plays on the A output (in my case). I don't always have this problem and it seems that I can solve it by switch the REV2 off and on.

ok... that seems strange then... so if both A and B outputs are connected, and you set the REV2 into Multimode, and play the second layer (B), it comes out of the A outputs?

but anyway... what the topic starter is demonstrating in his last video is still normal behavior... that bouncing back and forth between the two outputs happen when he is in a mode where the two synths are combining forces to provide him with 16 voices playing A SINGLE LAYER ONLY... it does not matter if it's the A or B layer he is editing as he shows, both editing modes (A or B) play as a combined 16 voice program in these two editing modes... he WILL get the voices jumping between them... when a voice is triggered on synth 1 it goes to the A outputs, when a voice is playing on synth 2 it goes to the B outouts... hence the bouncing...

If you experience the A outputs playing in multimode, when you play layer B, then there must be a software bug in that regard... especially if it goes away by turning the REV2 off and on again... I'd send DSI support a bug report in that case.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:28:16 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 06:57:12 AM »
Just want to say that I appreciate everyone's input. Raz, I get what you're saying now. You're a real sport in taking the time to spell it out 2x. Thanks for taking the time. The manual however... an edit in the manual would be nice to fully explain this, as well as a tip similar to what I'm about to give.

Working with what's given here, if you would like to work with 4 outputs, and you know you'll be switching patches, utilizing a single layer in a patch while in the other patch Split and Stacked (Split and Stack work perfectly), you should work in Split Mode when wanting to play a single layer without having it jump channels(you. To avoid having to change the split point on the fly, save a patch with the layer of interest with the split point set at the minimum or maximum key, depending on the layer you would like to access.

It's truly frustrating to know that if you wanted to enter the synth world, you'd have to base your plans off of owning several generations of instruments and the experience that comes with that. I wouldn't call this a 16 voice synthesizer as it is advertised. Just like I would never call 2 Mother-32's a Duophonic synth even though I can set them up to be that way and put them in a rack together. This is actually the Prophet Rev2 8-voice synth X 2 in the same box  8). I guess this is the perspective that forms when you put 4 outputs on equipment and don't explain limitations properly.

It's still a beautiful piece of equipment and I definitely love it. Again, I thank everyone for their time and input. Razmo, thank you for your expertise and care in explaining. Support did an okay job explaining and wasn't trying to be misleading, but definitely could have used more clarification. The bit that really helped was knowing ALL the line behaved like this. Not something you're going to know when you're researching the manual and how it sounds online, before you put your faith in buying something.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »
Just want to say that I appreciate everyone's input. Raz, I get what you're saying now. You're a real sport in taking the time to spell it out 2x. Thanks for taking the time. The manual however... an edit in the manual would be nice to fully explain this, as well as a tip similar to what I'm about to give.

Working with what's given here, if you would like to work with 4 outputs, and you know you'll be switching patches, utilizing a single layer in a patch while in the other patch Split and Stacked (Split and Stack work perfectly), you should work in Split Mode when wanting to play a single layer without having it jump channels(you. To avoid having to change the split point on the fly, save a patch with the layer of interest with the split point set at the minimum or maximum key, depending on the layer you would like to access.

It's truly frustrating to know that if you wanted to enter the synth world, you'd have to base your plans off of owning several generations of instruments and the experience that comes with that. I wouldn't call this a 16 voice synthesizer as it is advertised. Just like I would never call 2 Mother-32's a Duophonic synth even though I can set them up to be that way and put them in a rack together. This is actually the Prophet Rev2 8-voice synth X 2 in the same box  8). I guess this is the perspective that forms when you put 4 outputs on equipment and don't explain limitations properly.

It's still a beautiful piece of equipment and I definitely love it. Again, I thank everyone for their time and input. Razmo, thank you for your expertise and care in explaining. Support did an okay job explaining and wasn't trying to be misleading, but definitely could have used more clarification. The bit that really helped was knowing ALL the line behaved like this. Not something you're going to know when you're researching the manual and how it sounds online, before you put your faith in buying something.

Believe me... I've had my "moments" with the way DSI does things in the past as well... in the end, you realize that they DO make some of the best programmable analog/hybrid synths out there... you can always find something that is not to your liking, but I can assure you, that you will find that with ANY manufacturer... actually DSI is rather good with their support, makes reasonable OS updates (with a few exceptions that I don't want to go back to... long story)...

Always study manuals very carefully, always read forums on gear you want to get, to learn of any caveats before buying, and NEVER EVER expect more than what the synth can do when you buy it... and still be prepared to run into a bug here and there... that's just how it is with todays extremely complicated synths. Also, if you have the patience, wait buying until the most severe bugs has been addressed (that's the hard part hehe).

Regarding the double stereo inputs, all you really need to do in your DAW is handle everything the same way as the REV2 does it... just put the same FX/EQ or whatever you need on both of your stereo input channels... it may seem a little stupid when you use the synth in 16voice mode i know, but it do give you the best flexibility when you have both stereo outputs connected, but you would probably be using different FX on the two channels anyway when you use SPLIT, STACK or MULTIMODE... you would have to record both stereo inputs at the same time too of course...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Re: Something Seems Dreadfully Wrong (SOLVED)
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »
Solved.