My experience since I bought the REV2 a few weeks ago.

My experience since I bought the REV2 a few weeks ago.
« on: July 15, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »
Until this weekend I only used the REV2 to play with it. It is an expensive toy for me. I don't make a living with music and I don't have a lot of time next to my other hobby; always training for marathons.

So I spent some time to get everything set-up (I only have the REV2 for about a few weeks).
This is my setup in Cubase (multimode on, local off):

1 vst track for the editor
1 midi track for channel 1
1 midi track for channel 2
1 audio track for channel 1
1 audio track for channel 2

a few struggles:
If you want to have a separate output for both sounds (in multimode) you need to use the 2 stereo outputs. Normally when you don't use the right it is mixed with left. Not here.
While figuring this out I had to restart the rev because sometimes it just stoppped making sound on one of the channels.
In my case I had a gated sequencer in channel 1 (Equinox 5 to see it can actually make soft sounds too). The sequencer is very nice but boy it is hard to let it behave when syncing with cubase.

My conclusion:
The rev 2 is a VERY nice synth if you use the pure synth part. Effects are a bit so so. And the digital part (split/stack/sequencer) can be improved. I think I'll probably just use all voices on one layer and do the sequencing in cubase. Gated sequencer is super nice but hard in performance mode (rather than in recording mode).

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: My experience since I bought the REV2 a few weeks ago.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
Syncing via MIDI has always been a nightmare, and that goes for probably all synths I've had (and that is A LOT!) ... the weak point is many times the DAW... they are simply not tight enough... if you connect hardware to hardware it's usually a lot more stable... so if you work with a DAW, and that is how you want to work, do as you wrote yourself: Sequence it via the DAW sequencer, note by note... trying to sync the sequencers (poly or gated) will only give you misery in the long run... so do not blame the synth alone, there is a lot more to it than that.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »
Until this weekend I only used the REV2 to play with it. It is an expensive toy for me. I don't make a living with music and I don't have a lot of time next to my other hobby; always training for marathons.

So I spent some time to get everything set-up (I only have the REV2 for about a few weeks).
This is my setup in Cubase (multimode on, local off):

1 vst track for the editor
1 midi track for channel 1
1 midi track for channel 2
1 audio track for channel 1
1 audio track for channel 2

a few struggles:
If you want to have a separate output for both sounds (in multimode) you need to use the 2 stereo outputs. Normally when you don't use the right it is mixed with left. Not here.
While figuring this out I had to restart the rev because sometimes it just stoppped making sound on one of the channels.
In my case I had a gated sequencer in channel 1 (Equinox 5 to see it can actually make soft sounds too). The sequencer is very nice but boy it is hard to let it behave when syncing with cubase.

My conclusion:
The rev 2 is a VERY nice synth if you use the pure synth part. Effects are a bit so so. And the digital part (split/stack/sequencer) can be improved. I think I'll probably just use all voices on one layer and do the sequencing in cubase. Gated sequencer is super nice but hard in performance mode (rather than in recording mode).
I'm not sure what your audio set up is but in Multi-Mode you can use one mono out, 2 mono outs (1 per layer), 2 A stereo outs in which case layers A and B are summed but in stereo, or 4 stereo outs with layer A coming from outs A and layer B from outs B. I believe if you use mono out from A and B then you get layer A and B summed from output A and B from B. But you can always hard pan the parts if you want mono outs per layer.

You might also want to upgrade the firmware as some Multi Mode bugs were fixed in past versions.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 12:15:40 AM »

I'm not sure what your audio set up is but in Multi-Mode you can use one mono out, 2 mono outs (1 per layer), 2 A stereo outs in which case layers A and B are summed but in stereo, or 4 stereo outs with layer A coming from outs A and layer B from outs B. I believe if you use mono out from A and B then you get layer A and B summed from output A and B from B. But you can always hard pan the parts if you want mono outs per layer.

You might also want to upgrade the firmware as some Multi Mode bugs were fixed in past versions.

I first tried to only use the mono (left of both layers) outputs. I thought the right would be merged into left (like when you only use the main left). In that case I had layer A sound on output A and Layer B sound on output B and A as well. When I use both outputs (i.e. full stereo per layer) it solves the problem. So no layer B sound on Output A.

I'm up to date with the firmware.