Midi Remote Pad Play

Midi Remote Pad Play
« on: July 07, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »
Hi...

I'm trying to set-up my equipment so that midi is coming from Ableton into my Tempest, triggering individual pads [as per the pads already mapped on the 'Midi Remote Pad Play' menu.

I think I'm on the cusp of making the break through I've been trying for all day but still can't get the set-up to work as desired. At present I have sequenced some pad plays on Ableton, mapped them to pads on the Tempest but this does not play the sequence running on Ableton, instead it plays the sequence recorded on the tempest which is not the desired sequence and is not playing individual pads as desired - it is activating all pads. The only way for me to activate pads individually is by doing it manually via the mutes button on the Tempest. 

Inevitably I want to have the midi sequence recorded in Ableton, have it activate the tempest pads individually and then for the sound to return to Ableton so I can add effects in a live scenario.

If anyone can please help with this issue I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks.

Steve

Re: Midi Remote Pad Play
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »
Make sure 'pad to note mode' on the Tempest is set to 'sounds'.

Make sure Tempest is not set to slave to Ableton's ciock. Set the master/slave option to 'off' (can't remember what it's called off hand).

That should work.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 06:18:04 AM »
Hi Muleskinner...

Thanks for taking the time to respond - much appreciated. I have the 'pad to note mode' set to 'sounds', but no joy and I have since turned the midi clock off, but again, no joy. It's a strange one this, there seems to be something fundamental wrong in hows it communicating as the tempest isn't responding to messages from Ableton. You can see from the pic below that my Ableton is sending the midi. It is also receiving audio but only when I play the tempest manually or press play when it is in master clock mode.

I have also attached a pic of my preferences settings incase something is wrong here...?

The settings on my Tempest are as follows;

MIDI REMOTE PAD PLAY

Remote Pad IN Channel - 10
Remote Pad OUT Channel - Off
Pad to Not Mode - Sounds
Midi Note: Pad A3 - E3 [for which midi has be programmed on Ableton in the line E3 also]

MIDI CLOCK

MIDI: Clock Mode - OFF
MIDI:Clock IN Cable - None
MIDI: Clock OUT Cable - None

What other settings do you think might affect the communication - either on Ableton or the Tempest?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
Those Ableton settings look a bit weird to me but maybe that's just how Ableton does things.

It says 'midi from' which to my mind indicates processing midi from the Tempest rather than sending to the Tempest - but I don't know Ableton I'm afraid.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
Hahaha...

Yeah man. I ain't got a clue whats going on. Hopefully some legend comes on here soon and solves all my problems.

Cheers for having a look though. I've messaged DSI support and explained the issue so hopefully they'll be able to help me out.

Thanks and all the best.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »
Why in the world you have sequences running on both the Tempest and Ableton?In your case erase all notes from Tempest's sequencer and write your sequences in Ableton.Posting a video of the settings soon...Cheers!

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 02:02:15 PM »
Hi...

Thanks for your response. My intent is obviously not to have sequences running in both but I do find it more fun and engaging to write them on the tempest, record them on Ableton and then play them back through the tempest. Thats how I envision using it.

I have already deleted the sequences on the Tempest, but I'm sure there is problem elsewhere with how I have set it up.

Look forward to the vid.

Thanks man.

Steve.

Ps... I'm a real novice on the Tempest/music production in general, I'm learning as I go along so forgive me for my lack of knowledge of the workings of the equipment.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »
I thought you wanted something like this...https://youtu.be/YPQqfui0Hzs

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
Record what?Midi?Audio?More details please...Are you looking for the Local Control option inside Tempest settings maybe?If you set it to OFF then you won’t hear any sounds playing the pads on the Tempest but you’ll still be able to send Midi data in Ableton.Not on my Tempest right now but maybe that’s what you want?
write them on the tempest, record them on Ableton and then play them back through the tempest. Thats how I envision using it.

No worries that's why we're here for ;)
Ps... I'm a real novice on the Tempest/music production in general, I'm learning as I go along so forgive me for my lack of knowledge of the workings of the equipment.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:43:18 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
Hi...

Thanks for your vid :) I have since carefully copied all the settings you show in vid but still not joy. Have a look at my pics so you can see for yourself.

Maybe you can have a closer look at my 'External Instrument' settings and 'Midi to Tempest' settings to see if these are set up correctly?

In terms of cables, I have two USB cables, one running from the Tempest to my laptop, the other running from my audio interface to my laptop. I also have a midi cable running from my interface to my Tempest midi in [but not sure if this is doing anything]. I then have my audio cables running from my tempest to my interfaces inputs and from there to my speakers.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Thank-you for help.

Steve

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »
I’m using a USB cable to connect Tempest to my PC so there’s no need for the Midi cable..In your instrument track choose Tempest and the channel set it to “None”.I use it only for audio input as it has lower latency than a normal audio track.
For Midi duties that’s why there’s the “Midi to Tempest” track and there you can write and play your sequences.Make sure to choose the right notes in the piano roll...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:05:35 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »