Prophet X - just the synth engine

Re: Prophet X - just the synth engine
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
I can understand the curiosity for guys who would want to carry just this to a gig instead of this and a Rev2 or something similar...

Yes, I get that bit, but would you really go without a white noise generator rather than use samples of white noise?  That seems unnecessarily obsessive.

ddp

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
I see no reason not to just sample noise, it's noise after all.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 04:00:58 AM »
I can understand the curiosity for guys who would want to carry just this to a gig instead of this and a Rev2 or something similar...

Yes, I get that bit, but would you really go without a white noise generator rather than use samples of white noise?  That seems unnecessarily obsessive.

True, you can sample what you need... but only if you don't have to sell the synth to finance the PX in the first place ;)

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
True, you can sample what you need... but only if you don't have to sell the synth to finance the PX in the first place ;)

Better yet, you can take advantage of all the content that’s part of the factory sample set.  White, brown, pink, black and various other flavors of noise are already there.  As are ensemble oscillators, VS waveforms, and more.  The samples are just as useful for creating (or recreating) synth sounds as they are for introducing acoustic elements.

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »

Better yet, you can take advantage of all the content that’s part of the factory sample set.  White, brown, pink, black and various other flavors of noise are already there.  As are ensemble oscillators, VS waveforms, and more.  The samples are just as useful for creating (or recreating) synth sounds as they are for introducing acoustic elements.

Now that I have to try... I just need to get my hands on one and try it out!

DMS

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
Damn these pianos and stereo waves sound great CP like the bass is crunch live

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2018, 12:06:11 AM »
I posted this in GS but didn't get any replies:

I've been getting around the Prophet X' synth-side like gangbusters—much easier to get around than my Prophet 08 Rev2 for some reason. I was often scratching my head with my Rev2, but on the PX, that shape pot really dials in a ton of sounds. Again, really loving the synth engine on this thing. It's all-new, right? The digital oscillator-waveshaping and the new per-voice, analog filters? A mix of oscillators and filters unlike any previous DSI synth? (The Pro 2 and Prophet 12 both have digital oscillators, but no waveshaping.)

I had a Prophet 08 Rev2, but returned it. Now that I have an X, I missed its distinctive sound—so I re-bought it! I think the Curtis-filtered '08/R2 sounds worlds-apart from the X' synth engine, and re-bought it specifically because I think it sounds the most different from the X of all of DSI's synths. But to which other DSI synth does the X' synth-engine sound most similar? Or is it totally new-sounding, and unlike any other Prophet?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:12:14 AM by studio460 »

drxcm

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 12:59:52 AM »
But to which other DSI synth does the X' synth-engine sound most similar? Or is it totally new-sounding, and unlike any other Prophet?

Well, it sounds nothing like the Prophet 6 or the Polyevolver, which are the only other DSI synths I've had.  I still have my 6, it's going nowhere!.

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 03:47:59 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I really like the Rev2's sound, especially its much maligned Curtis chip. But I think the 16-voice synth-engine of the PX' digital oscillators, combined with its per-voice, SSM2044 filter re-issues (Sound Semiconductor's new SSI2144s) sound great! Overall, making the X' synth-engine sound much more "neutral" sounding (i.e., not as "dark") than the 08 Rev2's DCO/Curtis package don't you think?

As in the thread's title, I don't think the synth-side of the PX gets as much attention as it deserves. Especially since many have had to decide which of their DSI synths they should sell to afford to buy a PX (and, in my case, I just wanted to know from which DSI synth the PX sounds most different).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 03:54:24 AM by studio460 »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 08:58:43 AM »
Well, it sounds nothing like the Prophet 6 or the Polyevolver, which are the only other DSI synths I've had.  I still have my 6, it's going nowhere!.

To quote myself from another thread: "Have you tried making a similar patch to one on your P6 with the synth engine for comparison? How do the SSM-based filters compare to each other? Are the PX oscillators noticeably digital in comparison?"

drxcm

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2018, 03:24:04 AM »

To quote myself from another thread: "Have you tried making a similar patch to one on your P6 with the synth engine for comparison? How do the SSM-based filters compare to each other? Are the PX oscillators noticeably digital in comparison?"

Not yet, but purely from experience I'd say the PX oscillators are noticeably digital compared to the VCO's of the Pro6.  Perhaps not so noticeable for static patches as much as dynamic ones, but yes - very different sounding.  Not to say either one is "better" sounding.

To me the SSM filter has a 'woody' characteristic which is quite unique.  It's definitely very different to the Pro6, which, lets not forget, also has a HPF.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2018, 05:44:00 AM »
Obviously different, but they're both SSM-based filters; the P6 being a discrete based 2040 & the PX an improved 2044.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:58:44 AM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »
Obviously different, but they're both SSM-based filters; the P6 being a discrete based 2040 & the PX an improved 2044.

The 2144 isn't an improved 2040 design--it's actually a distinctly different topology. The datasheets for both parts are widely available online for anyone who wishes to investigate further.

Just FYI, carry on!
SEQUENTIAL

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »
The 2144 isn't an improved 2040 design--it's actually a distinctly different topology. The datasheets for both parts are widely available online for anyone who wishes to investigate further.

Just FYI, carry on!

Never said it's an improved 2040, said it's an improved 2044. Is the SSI2144 not an "updated and improved re-issue" of the SSM2044?