Testing the 6 voices tuning Prophet-6: cycling the voices e.g. with apreggiator?

I am trying to test the tuning precision of my Prophet-6 because I think I have an issue with one voice.

Q1: If I hit a single note repeatedly, does it cycle through the 6 voices? It sounds like it does but I'm not sure.

Q2: If I do a 1 note arpeggio with the arpeggiator and put it on hold, does it cycle through the 6 voices?

I tried having a sound with sustain high (near 10) and creating a 1-note arpeggio and putting it on Hold. If pan spread is turned up, the notes appear in different places in the stereo image so I presume the P6 is cycling through the voices.

I did this in Live Panel mode (Preset button not lit) with all modulation switched off and pots involved in any modulaiton centered or zeroed.

I am using simple sawtooth or simple square (pulse width = 50% or 5 on scale 0-10), also trying triangle but this is too mild. High pass filter fully open and low pass cutoff at various positions.

If I have Osc1 and Osc2 up at equal levels and detune them from each other a certain amount, I can hear the beats varying from voice to voice (I think) and perhaps one voice sometimes comes up with a very different frequency of beats (i.e. different detuning). Also I can sense occasional notes are off pitch - maybe every 6th one but not 100% certain because it seems to come and go a bit.

Now I am glad the beats vary a bit because it's a VCO synth but I have a suspicion that one voice is going out of shape sometimes and giving some "sour" sounding notes and/or chords. This happens from time to time and particularly biut not always with sound 370 and patches I have derived from it, with effects on or off.

I may be able to post a video of some sounds later on YouTube and link to it.

Would the above confirm if there is a problem with one voice of the P-6?

Any advice appreciated!

Best regards,

Dave in the UK.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:05:23 AM by DaveP6guy »
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

Dave,

The answer to Q1 is yes, did you calibrate the oscillators did it go through them all with no issues?

Is slop at 0?

Dave,

The answer to Q1 is yes, did you calibrate the oscillators did it go through them all with no issues?

Is slop at 0?
Yes and Yes. Calbration takes about 27-30 seconds consistently and shows no kind of errors at all.

I did email tech support at DSI yesterday and I picked up Andy's reply today with some suggestions as to what to do next. Nice quick reply. Cheers Andy!

He also answered my questions. Both were Yes. The synth cycles through the voices if you play a note repeatedly and also cycles through them if you set up and hold a 1-note arpeggio. I suspected so and that makes testing for any problems with a voice's tuning a lot easier actually.

Of course, since I have contacted DSI the synth has worked perfectly! It "knows"!!
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

Dave,

The DSI support we’re great when I had a voice issue. Whenever I tested voices I always used an initialised patch so there was no modulation risk and disconnected all midi/usb - connection to DAWS can sometimes cause issues!

Ian

Teo

Hi,
I have the same problem...each 4th note (voice) both oscillators+sub octave+nois jump to left stereo only
AND
each 2th note (voice) oscillator 2 pitch jumps out of tune
SO when apreggiator is on it jumps around out of controle.

I can not play my Prophet 6 decently in polyphonic stereo. (When Unison is on the problem does not occur.)

(Updated to 1.5.9 / calibrated oscillators multiple times /Also when i test with a basic preset (preset+write) in live mode with most basically settings)

is there a solution? want to fix this so bad

Hi,
I have the same problem...each 4th note (voice) both oscillators+sub octave+nois jump to left stereo only
AND
each 2th note (voice) oscillator 2 pitch jumps out of tune
SO when apreggiator is on it jumps around out of controle.

I can not play my Prophet 6 decently in polyphonic stereo. (When Unison is on the problem does not occur.)

(Updated to 1.5.9 / calibrated oscillators multiple times /Also when i test with a basic preset (preset+write) in live mode with most basically settings)

is there a solution? want to fix this so bad

I'm having the same issue as far as I can tell. I don't know which voice is which but if I press the key 6 times, on the 6th press the note goes sharp by several semi tones and pops over to the left side of the stereo field. I just noticed this today. I've disconnected midi, re calibrated tuning, and reset globals to default. Doesn't seem to do it on unison mode. This is really obnoxious and is essentially rendering my prophet use less for most things.... PLEASE HELP!

*edit: it seems to be only effecting osc 2 unless I sync osc 1, then both osc's are effected.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:22:53 PM by steeler89 »