Will a P6 module fit on a Virus KB?

Will a P6 module fit on a Virus KB?
« on: July 04, 2018, 07:56:04 AM »
I've fallen out of love with my Virus as a synth, but am still fond of the keybed and I feel I'd regret parting with it if I were to let it go. And yet, I find myself badly wanting a Prophet 6. Does anyone know if the Prophet 6 module will fit on the top panel of the Virus? The dimensions seem a bit too big, but depending on the location of the rubber feet, it might work.

Re: Will a P6 module fit on a Virus KB?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 05:29:52 AM »
Found the following specs:

Virus TI Keyboard
Width: 99.5 cm (39.2 inches)
Depth: 37 cm (14.6 inches)

Prophet 6
Width: 54.0 cm (21.25.43 inches)
Depth: 18.9 cm (7.43 inches)

When I look at a picture of the Virus TI Keyboard it looks like the space on the right is just over 50% of the width of the unit which is 99.5cm. The width of the P6 is 54cm, so looks like width wise it would just squeeze on nicely, though the right most knobs on the Access may be left hand only for operation.

Depth wise it looks like the amount the free space takes up is right on 50% of the depth on the Virus which is half of 37cm so looking at around 18-19cm. The depth of the P6 is 18.9cm - so again looks like a very snug fit.

I would advise to get a piece of paper and cut out 54cm x 18.9cm and place it on the space on your Virus to see for yourself how it fits on. By the looks and sounds of it it looks like the pads under the P6 would fit into that space and hence you would have a good fit there, but do try it out first!

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:23:21 AM »
Sorry, I should have given measurements. The free space on top of my Virus is 51.4 cm by 19cm. I'm sure the depth is fine, it was the width I was concerned about; I guess that I'd want the feet to be more than 3 cm from the edges for it to work. It did just occur to me that I could put new feet on, closer together, if I need to :)

Kja

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »
twidththe keys on a prophet 6 is no slouch, they are top of the line. Why not just get prophet 6 keys and sell the virus? It would be easier and you still have great keys.

blewis

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »
the keys on a prophet 6 is no slouch, they are top of the line.

While the TP/9 Prophet 6 keys are wonderful, they are second to top of Fatar’s line and the TP/8 keys of the Virus KB are top of the line and the KB has 5 octaves.

Plus, and this is only 1/2 a joke, there’s a fun Virus game we play called “what’s the ultimate thing I can out on my Virus shelf?”  It’s never ending. :-)

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:38:00 AM »
Well, I'll find out tomorrow when my prophet arrives!

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 04:45:55 PM »
It does, in fact, fit... but just barely. It sticks off the end, and almost touches the Virus’s knobs, but it does sit solidly on the metal panel.

Kja

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
the keys on a prophet 6 is no slouch, they are top of the line.

While the TP/9 Prophet 6 keys are wonderful, they are second to top of Fatar’s line and the TP/8 keys of the Virus KB are top of the line and the KB has 5 octaves.

Plus, and this is only 1/2 a joke, there’s a fun Virus game we play called “what’s the ultimate thing I can out on my Virus shelf?”  It’s never ending. :-)
the tp8 keys are not better, they are just a different action with a different size and pivot point. Neither is better, one is faster, the other is more expressive.. Dsi could have chose the tp8 of the virus but chose the tp9 instead since they make more synth stuff than keyboard romper stuff the tp8 was designed for.

blewis

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
Dsi could have chose the tp8 of the virus but chose the tp9 instead since they make more synth stuff than keyboard romper stuff the tp8 was designed for.

My first 2 synths: ASR-10 and the Virus B were not romplers. Both had TP8. The Waldorf Quantum isn't a rompler; TP8.

Anyway, we can just be friends and say both are "of the highest quality" and call it day?