Prophet X divided by 2 = Tempest 2.0

Sleep of Reason

Re: Prophet X divided by 2 = Tempest 2.0
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 11:19:28 PM »
Coming from the guy who uses the PX as a rompler... Don't be giving me no "subtle."  ;)

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
Coming from the guy who uses the PX as a rompler... Don't be giving me no "subtle."  ;)

Sorry that I don't enjoy programing sounds of aliens trapped in a bathroom. ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 09:03:42 PM by LoboLives »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »
https://youtu.be/lGez_3jqgCI?t=523

Welp, Dave said it's a possibility...

Got to say, having just bought the Tempest new, I hope if the TX does become a reality that it's its own thing. I would personally still prefer the original to an all digital front-end machine. Also, I really love the Curtis filters for drum machine purposes.

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »
https://youtu.be/lGez_3jqgCI?t=523

Welp, Dave said it's a possibility...

Got to say, having just bought the Tempest new, I hope if the TX does become a reality that it's its own thing. I would personally still prefer the original to an all digital front-end machine. Also, I really love the Curtis filters for drum machine purposes.

I've been using the PX for some percussion and drum sounds for a bit and I got to say I absolutely love it. That being said...one could theoretically sample some of the PX sounds into a MPC or Elektron now. Still...it would be cool to see a new drum machine from Sequential and pair it alongside the original Tempest. I'm still waiting to see what Roger has up his sleeve though.

Pym

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 09:35:09 PM »
It isn't quite that simple. There are a lot of bottlenecks that prevent realtime streaming of samples, not to mention loading of files and all the various audio-rate effects we allow, with a 4-8 part multi-timbral instrument (which the Tempest would be). With the PX hardware we couldn't do a Tempest 2
Sequential

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 02:22:52 AM »
The same probs with Disk Streaming and multitumbrality are facing the AKAI coders as we speak Chris ;) I own the MPC Live and people are all over them to implement these features in the upcoming updates and as they stated it’s coming so...Tick tack..Who will lead the way? :D
Bet more companies will get involved to this all around,DAW style,machine that finishes tracks type of business..
With the latest addition of Air FX’s Pro Tools FX and side chain support inside their machines AKAI have raised the bar hard but....and i say but...if you guys would realease a machine that does all that with the addition of analog filters and OSCs i’d be willing to sell all my stuff and go solo with your machine..Just my 2 cents ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:26:24 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 01:50:47 AM »
The same probs with Disk Streaming and multitumbrality are facing the AKAI coders as we speak Chris ;) I own the MPC Live and people are all over them to implement these features in the upcoming updates and as they stated it’s coming so...Tick tack..Who will lead the way? :D

Synthstrom Audible. Deluge now streams all samples and reads multisamples really well ;)

Personally I don't think it's FX are anything to write home about but everything else about it is great - properly portable, CV/gate sequencing, excellent arranger and a very workable VA and FM synth engine. It's not far off being the perfect studio 'brain' (for my purposes anyway).
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 05:11:51 AM »
Synthstrom Audible. Deluge now streams all samples and reads multisamples really well ;)

Personally I don't think it's FX are anything to write home about but everything else about it is great - properly portable, CV/gate sequencing, excellent arranger and a very workable VA and FM synth engine. It's not far off being the perfect studio 'brain' (for my purposes anyway).

Personally i’m more into linear sequencing instead of step sequencing that’s why i went with AKAI plus i can jam on those gorgeous pads all day long something that Deluge or Octatrack (i used to own one) doesn’t deliver..
A question...Can you play simultaneously 2 different sounds with multiple controllers hooked to Deluge?For example a QuNeo playing the drums and a Midi keyboard a synth sound?AKAI calls it Midi Multi Mode and is one of the things that can take my band’s jams to the next level..Hopefully is on it’s way..A lot of flame as we speak from users in the AKAI forum on this one + Disk streaming..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:25:35 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 06:10:35 AM »

Personally i’m more into linear sequencing instead of step sequencing that’s why i went with AKAI plus i can jam on those gorgeous pads all day long something that Deluge or Octatrack (i used to own one) doesn’t deliver..

Not sure what you mean by linear vs step. To my mind the Deluge gives the best of both worlds as it can act like a 'piano roll' and/or 'xox' style sequencer - as well as do standard recording.

True about the pads though, they're not velocity sensitive and very small so it's not the most 'playable' instrument in the world.

A question...Can you play simultaneously 2 different sounds with multiple controllers hooked to Deluge?For example a QuNeo playing the drums and a Midi keyboard a synth sound?AKAI calls it Midi Multi Mode and is one of the things that can take my band’s jams to the next level..Hopefully is on it’s way..A lot of flame as we speak from users in the AKAI forum on this one + Disk streaming..

I'm pretty sure you can do this though I have never tried it explicitly. You can 'learn' any onboard track to any external MIDI source so it should work, you're not limited to one 'master controller'. Many users want more of a 'master controller' type mode where one MIDI source controls whatever track is selected but it doesn't currently work that way.

It'll also record MIDI (including cc) from any source. Firmware updates are coming thick and fast.

My biggest bugbear with it at the moment (I'm not bothered about the FX quality, not what I bought it for) is the lack of a facility to loop a section of the arrangement similar to cycle regions in a DAW or even something as basic at the Tempest's
'loop screen'. You can only loop entire patterns but that starts to become unmanageable at 8+ bars IMO.

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 06:44:29 AM »
Not sure what you mean by linear vs step. To my mind the Deluge gives the best of both worlds as it can act like a 'piano roll' and/or 'xox' style sequencer - as well as do standard recording.

Linear is like a DAW style unlimited steps sequencing.How many steps are available for Deluge.Octatrack for example has up to 64 steps.

I'm pretty sure you can do this though I have never tried it explicitly. You can 'learn' any onboard track to any external MIDI source so it should work, you're not limited to one 'master controller'. Many users want more of a 'master controller' type mode where one MIDI source controls whatever track is selected but it doesn't currently work that way.
Cool!So in your scenario let’s say you hoop up a master controller keyboard that has also pads onboard.Are you able to assign keys and pads to different channels in the Deluge and play them simultaneously?

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 08:00:55 AM »
Linear is like a DAW style unlimited steps sequencing.How many steps are available for Deluge.Octatrack for example has up to 64 steps.

Unlimited

Cool!So in your scenario let’s say you hoop up a master controller keyboard that has also pads onboard.Are you able to assign keys and pads to different channels in the Deluge and play them simultaneously?

Providing the keyboard allowed the pads and keys to be assigned to different MIDI channels then I'm 99% sure the answer's 'yes'.

If they were on the same MIDI channel then the Deluge wouldn't be able to differentiate between them so you get conflicts (they'd both be controlling two channels at once). I can't see how any device would handle that though - I guess some might handle multitimbrality via note ranges but AFAIK you can't do that on the Deluge (yet).

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »
You’ve got me covered muleskinner!Wow cool machine!

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGez_3jqgCI

8:50

"Would be fun to make a drum machine based on this kind of technology, not that we're doing that immediately, but... "

;)

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
"Would be fun to make a drum machine based on this kind of technology, not that we're doing that immediately, but... "

;)

I like the bit just after that where he says something like 'Of course we've got lots of new stuff coming out, that's what we do'!

Rather than maintain, update and/or finish the 'old' stuff!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 04:47:21 AM »

;)

I like the bit just after that where he says something like 'Of course we've got lots of new stuff coming out, that's what we do'!

If Sequential REALLY wanted to, they could fix the Tempest... I'm certain of that... it may be that the samples-chip is hard to change the samples in, but I'm sure they would have the tools to do this in house if they wanted to... and if they wanted they could just offer users to send in their Tempest, and have their chips reflashed with a sample set without any clicks in the single cycle waveforms... and if they are running out of codespace, they could rewrite the code again from the ground up, and take out a lot of those extra features that was not even meant to be in there from the time they designed the machine... i recall Linn saying that it now has more features than he would have done himself, suggesting that they simply stressed the Tempest beyond it's capabilities.

They COULD fix Tempest... but they won't... there is no profits to be gained by it, and that's probably the real reason nothing more is happening with it.

If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 06:42:55 AM »
They really should fix that apparent issue if at all possible, especially considering the Tempest is still on the market. It's not like a requested feature that's not owed, it's an inherent feature that's flat out janky.

LoboLives

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 07:57:09 AM »
I’d rather see a successor to the Tempest rather then them trying to improve it. Much like they did with the P08 and likely will do with the P12.

Pym

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 08:26:41 AM »
If we had the tools in house we would have added the feature because, lemme tell you, it was high on our list. But the reality of the chip we chose and the tradeoff of fixed part cost vs. development cost (due to lack of good tools and needing to program entirely in assembly among other things) just made it a really bad idea in the end. We learned from our mistakes and have changed our approach since, which is why the Prophet X is more solid, we have more control over the dev process now

I ended up spending vastly more time into Tempest development than was required, lots on my own after hours, and fixed numerous timing and other problems but eventually it became a battle with an underpowered chip and my own inexperience. I'm confident I can do 10x better now but that was my first time doing a complex OS on my own, honestly I'm pretty happy with how well it turned out given all the constraints we had

Just saying, try not to make assumptions, there are a lot of things behind the scenes we don't share but it doesn't mean we're only concerned about making money. This is a labor of love for us first and foremost, we are all artists and musicians here and want to see our vision come to fruition, but sometimes we shoot a bit too far, personally I'm glad we keep challenging ourselves and taking risks

;)

If Sequential REALLY wanted to, they could fix the Tempest... I'm certain of that... it may be that the samples-chip is hard to change the samples in, but I'm sure they would have the tools to do this in house if they wanted to... and if they wanted they could just offer users to send in their Tempest, and have their chips reflashed with a sample set without any clicks in the single cycle waveforms... and if they are running out of codespace, they could rewrite the code again from the ground up, and take out a lot of those extra features that was not even meant to be in there from the time they designed the machine... i recall Linn saying that it now has more features than he would have done himself, suggesting that they simply stressed the Tempest beyond it's capabilities.

They COULD fix Tempest... but they won't... there is no profits to be gained by it, and that's probably the real reason nothing more is happening with it.
Sequential

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 09:18:21 AM »
Not too comforting to someone who just bought one new... Plus this all sounds very familiar...

https://youtu.be/_U9RpS_2RSk?t=3374
https://youtu.be/_U9RpS_2RSk?t=2658

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9RpS_2RSk

C'mon now.

LoboLives

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 11:42:49 AM »
Not too comforting to someone who just bought one new... Plus this all sounds very familiar...

https://youtu.be/_U9RpS_2RSk?t=3374
https://youtu.be/_U9RpS_2RSk?t=2658

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9RpS_2RSk

C'mon now.

So sell it. One should never buy an instrument because of what they want it to be but because of what it is. If you are going to keep demanding and expecting an update for an 8 year old instrument then perhaps it’s time to move on to an MPC or Elektron product and leave the Tempest to those that are fine with it.