Prophet X divided by 2 = Tempest 2.0

Prophet X divided by 2 = Tempest 2.0
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »
I'm going to state the obvious, why not take 1/2 of the Prophet X and make the Tempest 2.0 that a lot of us have been wanting?  And get a great 8-voice synth in the process as well, that would be easier on the wallet than the Prophet X.  It seems like the required Tempest 2.0 sound engine with sample import is all there.  I would skip a desktop version of the Prophet X and go straight to the Tempest 2.0 that could function as 1/2 of a Prophet X, with 8 voices, that would still be a totally useful polysynth.  I don't know, maybe I'm crazy?
Moog Voyager, Novation Peak, Waldorf Microwave XT, Nord Wave, Emu Audity 2000, Yamaha SY85 & TG500, Waldorf Pulse+, Yamaha FS1R, Sequential Pro One, Korg Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha CS-15, MFB Tanzbar, Crumar Bit-99, Emu Emax I, Casio FZ-20M, 12U of Eurorack.

dslsynth

Re: Prophet X divided by 2 = Tempest 2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »
I think roberth909 have a point with the voice architecture ingredients. It makes very much sense for DSI to make multi-timbral synthesizers that can do both poly duties and play drum sounds well. Supporting sample playback and having multiple envelope modes would be useful.

The trick is then that drum machines should be able to sequence such synthesizer modules well while the synthesizer modules are not all that far away from what DSI already can do. Best way to go if you ask me!

:-X . o O ( wishful thinking )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 03:08:53 AM »
I’d make a hybrid Analog/Digital Tempest and basically a standalone station to finish complete creations!One machine to carry at your live gigs..Enough with all the modular hype and monster studios.It’s 2018 and things supposed to be more compact and efficient.
Imagine how creative people could get by focusing and learning by heart one machine.In the technical area i imagine this hybrid Tempest to be able to switch voices the way it fits someone’s workflow.For instance transform from a fully analog 16voice beast to an 8voice analog/64voices sample loading digital station with on-board high quality FX!And while you’re at it if we could get a mobile mode by using an internal charged battery like the MPC Live and have input processing with live looping and recording then this would be a one company show and will destroy any competition!
IMHO that’s the future!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:20:16 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
Actually since 8Dio is going into the hardware realm with the PX, I mentioned to them that perhaps they might also want to look into doing a drum machine as well. They have some fantastic sounding drum samples in the PX and in their libraries and it would be nice to do a sampler drum machine (with Dave's filters of course) and perhaps some input with Roger Linn with his Linnstrument technology.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »
Rather than waiting for something to magically happen in the future, I've decided to try using an MPC Live for now.  It seems to fulfill a lot of song creation purposes for me, that can then be brought into the studio setting for refinement, final recording and mixing.
Moog Voyager, Novation Peak, Waldorf Microwave XT, Nord Wave, Emu Audity 2000, Yamaha SY85 & TG500, Waldorf Pulse+, Yamaha FS1R, Sequential Pro One, Korg Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha CS-15, MFB Tanzbar, Crumar Bit-99, Emu Emax I, Casio FZ-20M, 12U of Eurorack.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:52:28 AM »
Yep for me too!Yesterday i’ve played a new track to my band mate at the place i DJ and told me it was the best track i’ve wrote so far..Told him that literally wrote and finish this one on my couch exclusively on the MPC Live..The mobility and convenience of this thing is phenomenal!
Rather than waiting for something to magically happen in the future, I've decided to try using an MPC Live for now.  It seems to fulfill a lot of song creation purposes for me, that can then be brought into the studio setting for refinement, final recording and mixing.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »
I'd never trust DSI with something that's 'firmware heavy' (e.g. a complex sequencer or sampler) again.

I might, possibly, buy another analog synth from them but for some reason nothing they've done since the Tempest really pushes my buttons sound-wise. Basically I don't rate or trust their DSP chops (that character module sounds awful to my ears).

At the moment I'm pretty happy sequencing Tempest and other gear with my Deluge and dipping into modular when I can afford it. If someone finally brought out a proper sampler with analog filters per voice I'd be interested in that - or a properly multi-timbral Brute would be nice!

No desire for Tempest 2.0 though. DSI would screw it up.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »

Personally I also look at the SP-16 as the "NEW" Tempest. Sure it doesn't have an analog synth engine but it seems quite capable as a drum machine/main sequencer.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »
SP-16 is nowhere near the MPC Live...A few finish touches that will introduced in the upcoming updates like Disk Streaming and Multi Midi mode and it’s a classic!

Personally I also look at the SP-16 as the "NEW" Tempest. Sure it doesn't have an analog synth engine but it seems quite capable as a drum machine/main sequencer.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
SP-16 is nowhere near the MPC Live...A few finish touches that will introduced in the upcoming updates like Disk Streaming and Multi Midi mode and it’s a classic!

Sorry updates for the MPC or SP-16?

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 01:08:29 AM »
The MPC

Stoss

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 09:54:47 AM »
Roger Linn’s vision is what I love about the Tempest. Let’s pair him up with someone like Rohan at Synthstrom Audible and make some magic happen. Being a willing participant in the beta testing of the Deluge has shown me what promising and delivering looks like.

I love my Tempest, but 2.0... nobody wants that. DSI cannot handle it. Honestly, I saw the Prophet X and my first thought was how dicey a situation it must be for them to be working with anything remotely different than an analog synth again.

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »
Roger Linn’s vision is what I love about the Tempest. Let’s pair him up with someone like Rohan at Synthstrom Audible and make some magic happen. Being a willing participant in the beta testing of the Deluge has shown me what promising and delivering looks like.

I love my Tempest, but 2.0... nobody wants that. DSI cannot handle it. Honestly, I saw the Prophet X and my first thought was how dicey a situation it must be for them to be working with anything remotely different than an analog synth again.

That's why collaborations are so great. Each party handles their respective strengths. Right now we are seeing a lot of software and VST companies partnering with hardware companies. 8Dio and DSI with the Prophet X and Slate and Pearl with the Mimic Drum Module. I spoke to Roger about this and said that it would be nice if he came out with a module that featured MPE supported sounds. His fear is a lot of the sounds are already available on a computer so why would anyone pay more for hardware...but with the Prophet X, Mimic and others we are seeing that more people want to
1.) Get away from relying on the computer.
2.) Take a lot of the strain off of their CPUs as opposed to having loads of VST's open or having to open a VST each time. Something like a Sample Modelling/Roger Linn version of the Integra7. Which would be used in conjunction with his own Linnstrument.

As far as a drum machine....well I mean who could Roger really partner with and what exactly could he bring to the table at this point that can't be done with the MPCs?

dslsynth

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »
As far as a drum machine....well I mean who could Roger really partner with and what exactly could he bring to the table at this point that can't be done with the MPCs?

3D controller features and a very good functionality/UI designers creativity. There used to be a note on his site about a next generation LinnDrum II design with LinnStrument features. Could end up being a far more interesting machine than the original LinnDrum II design if you ask me.

Collaborations: well, there are several options of which Pioneer is an obvious candidate given their focus on extending their DJ market.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »

3D controller features and a very good functionality/UI designers creativity. There used to be a note on his site about a next generation LinnDrum II design with LinnStrument features. Could end up being a far more interesting machine than the original LinnDrum II design if you ask me.

Collaborations: well, there are several options of which Pioneer is an obvious candidate given their focus on extending their DJ market.

Or Toontrack.

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 06:04:15 PM »
Yes!!
I was thinking the same thing while watching X demo videos.
This could be a great foundation for the next Tempest

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »
:) good idea!

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
How about just dropping the synth engine (& keys ofc) and in its place adding in a drum machine section, but leave the rest as is? In place of the synth area add 16 pads or buttons, add more drum samples, & whatever else is needed. I'm sure a lot of us would prefer using our analog DSI synths in conjunction with the sampled instruments.

Well that would blow my mind at least.  :P

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 10:11:00 PM »
Did a video with the PX demoing some beats I programmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za-t76oOtlc&lc=z23fwr4bdumddjo5u04t1aokgoh3zxm1du404jwfv3tzrk0h00410

Certainly some great drum sounds in the PX that would be great in a stand alone drum machine....but like I said I guess you could sample them into your SP-16 or MPC.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:14:04 PM by LoboLives »

LoboLives

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 10:12:10 PM »
How about just dropping the synth engine (& keys ofc) and in its place adding in a drum machine section, but leave the rest as is? In place of the synth area add 16 pads or buttons, add more drum samples, & whatever else is needed. I'm sure a lot of us would prefer using our analog DSI synths in conjunction with the sampled instruments.

Well that would blow my mind at least.  :P

Nah that gets into workstation territory which the PX is not.