Knob Broke off at the post

Knob Broke off at the post
« on: July 02, 2018, 06:43:29 AM »
 So sad. My LFOs "Amount" knob broke off at the post on my Prophet08. What should I do to fix it?  :( 
Thanks!

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Knob Broke off at the post
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:03:57 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:41:13 AM »
Moinmoin,

there s a second possibility, which I applied when our Trumpet-player hit the very important "Param1" knob :-(

The knobs themselves sit on the axle of the pots / encoders (of course). These axles themselves however are - at least in my case - not massive, but feature a hollow shaft. Its diameter is not perfectly round, but has a flat side.

• So first try to get the knob itself from the rest of the broken shaft still sitting in it.
  • If You can - or know somebody who does, like e.g. a hobby builder of model cars - try to make a piece of plastics, that fits into the hollow space of the pot / encoder and links it to the broken part.
  • If You manage a tight fit, You will not even need cement to fix the pot's / encoder's axle.
  • Then simply put the knob itself at its place again.

Still works for me, after a while the knob felt a little bitt sloppyer than its siblings, which was cured by carefully applying a bit of cement (not at the knob, but within the axle)

HTH

Martin

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:56:57 PM »
MartinM's suggestion is a good one. If you'd like to replace it and you're handy with a soldering iron, we'll send you a new pot or encoder free of charge by contacting our dedicated support channel as Sacred Synthesis suggested.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 04:57:53 PM »
 Wow! Very cool.... 8) I just received the knob and pot in the mail. The DSI support guy asked for some photos of the damage which I emailed and with in less than 1 week, the replacement parts arrived. Thanks DSI!  Thanks for the good advice too guys!

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 01:50:01 AM »
Moinmoin,

+1 !

I received a new encoder for free (even sent to Germany without charging me) and replaced my "encoder shaft repair". Not really necessary, but the real thing...

I once participated in a sales workshop, learning that the goal of sales is not to sell, but convert customers into sales people by making them actively spread best news about product and company.
Put me on that list 8)

Martin