Firmware update problem

Firmware update problem
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:55:52 AM »
Has anyone had any issues updating the PX with the latest two firmwareupdates?

When trying to update with the bin file I've had issues with both versions; V1.1.0.0.0 and V1.1.1.0.1. The firmware update process appears to run OK but on restart the PX bootloader fails and eveything is locked up. In the first instance I got in touch with DSI support, who responded almost immediately, and sent me the sysex version of V1.1.0.0 and running this via the debug bootloader update process I was able to install the firmware OK. This morning I tried to update with the latest version V1.1.1.0.1 via the bin file and again this failed, the same as the first firmware update. I have raised a support request with DSI and now await the outcome. I guess I will not hear back until sometime on Monday. I've only had the PX 5 days and hope this is just a software glich.

I'm posting here for information and interested to hear if anyone else has had similar issues,although I guess at the moment there's not too many people out there with a PX as yet.

ddp

Re: Firmware update problem
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »
Both updates were successful here.  I used a SanDisk iExpand USB thumb drive.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that you're still encountering update troubles Johnts.  I would suggest that you load the 1.1.0.0.0.syx file I sent to you previously through the bootloader to try and get the unit back up and running.  Then I would suggest that you try to either update with the 1.1.1.0.0.1.bin file again, or use 1.1.0.0.0.bin to downgrade.

Hopefully that will get the PX back up and running this weekend and we can follow up with you this week for further support.

Let me know how this goes for you.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that you're still encountering update troubles Johnts.  I would suggest that you load the 1.1.0.0.0.syx file I sent to you previously through the bootloader to try and get the unit back up and running.  Then I would suggest that you try to either update with the 1.1.1.0.0.1.bin file again, or use 1.1.0.0.0.bin to downgrade.

Hopefully that will get the PX back up and running this weekend and we can follow up with you this week for further support.

Let me know how this goes for you.
Ok, I've managed to get the PX back up and running by using the 1.1.0.0.0.syx file and running this through the bootloader. The PX is now back operating at this level. All attempts run the the firmware update via the bin file fail both 1.1.0.0.0 and 1.1.1.0.0.1 levels. I have checked the bin file downloads for errors, used different USB sticks but repeated attempts to update via the bin files fail. By all accounts the firmware updates runs without any error messages but on restart the PX fails to boot properly. I have to say I'm at a loss as to what else to try or investigate.

If by any chance I can get the syx file version of 1.1.1.0.1 over the weekend I can at least try the update with this as per the first failure. Otherwise I'm going to have to wait until Monday pm for me to follow as I'm in the UK and 8 hours in front of you.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
Just to report back that the firmware update issues I have been experiencing have now been fixed with help from DSI support. Involved loading a syx file version of the latest firmware update, then backleveling using a bin file of the previous version and then a fresh update using the latest bin file version. My PX is now up and running, encoder skipping fix working nicely and ready to rock and roll as they say. I'm very pleased with the responsive customer support from DSI, well done. One very happy customer.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
Delighted to hear it, John.  They've certainly been incredibly responsive to my quibbles as well, with the encoder behavior being the most notable.  The v1.1.1.0.1 firmware doesn't just improve the situation a bit, it's absolutely a night and day difference.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »
Looks like I'm another one to experience this.  Updated per instructions, and upon reboot of the Prophet X, I just get  flashing OSC LEDs and a flashing FX LCD ... just sitting there confused.

HELP.

Hammond C2/L122, lamm memorymoog, minimoog Voyager (Rudi Linhard mod), Prophet 5, Prophet 6, Prophet 12, Andromeda A6, Roland A-80, muse research Receptor, Yamaha DX7IIFD/E!, Motif ES6, Montage 8

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:51:15 AM »
Looks like I'm another one to experience this.  Updated per instructions, and upon reboot of the Prophet X, I just get  flashing OSC LEDs and a flashing FX LCD ... just sitting there confused.

HELP.

My problem was the same, contact DSI support, they helped me fix my issue very quickly. Very responsive support from DSI.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »
All sorted. As reported above, Sequential was fabulous and quick in getting me into Boot Loader mode, and setting me up with v1.2 to load via SysEx.  All good here!
Hammond C2/L122, lamm memorymoog, minimoog Voyager (Rudi Linhard mod), Prophet 5, Prophet 6, Prophet 12, Andromeda A6, Roland A-80, muse research Receptor, Yamaha DX7IIFD/E!, Motif ES6, Montage 8

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »
I'm glad they've got you sorted out but ... v1.2?  I see it's listed on the product page for the Prophet X as well, just no notice of it in this forum!  Interesting.  No release notes or other indications of what has changed.

ddp

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 08:32:08 PM »
Seems to work.  Wonder what's in it?  :-)
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
The sysex sent to treason is the same as the Main OS version that bundled with the production 1.2.0.0.0.bin that's downloadable from the website: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-prophet-x-os/

BETA 1.1.1.0.1 is the same as 1.2.0.0.0--we increment the version number for production.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »
Thanks for the clarification!

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 11:50:25 AM »
No problem! FYI the changelog is always the LATEST BETA thread here on the forum. We don't include a changelog doc with OS download.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »
Just to report back that the firmware update issues I have been experiencing have now been fixed with help from DSI support. Involved loading a syx file version of the latest firmware update, then backleveling using a bin file of the previous version and then a fresh update using the latest bin file version. My PX is now up and running, encoder skipping fix working nicely and ready to rock and roll as they say. I'm very pleased with the responsive customer support from DSI, well done. One very happy customer.

So what EXACTLY did you do? Here's what I just did, twice, without success:

1. On very first boot-up: 80% of sampled instruments' names are labeled, "ERROR," and emit no sound.
2. DSI sent me "PX_Main_1.1.1.0.1.syx" which I successfully downloaded into the Prophet X via MIDI DIN.
3. After SYSEX download, upon re-start, the PX displayed the exact same errors as on first boot-up.
4. After upgrading firmare to "PxUpdate_V1.2.0.0.0.bin" via USB, the PX is bricked (all screens display "snow").

The Prophet X is currently frozen and makes no sounds. Re-downloading "PX_Main_1.1.1.0.1.syx" vis MIDI DIN into the PX only reverts it back to its original error-state.

If I understood your post correctly, you did the following:

1. Downloaded "PX_Main_1.1.1.0.1.syx" into the Prophet X via MIDI DIN.
2. Then "back-graded" the firmware using the .BIN version of an earlier firmware version (filename?) into the Prophet X via USB.
3. Performed a normal firmware .BIN update using "PxUpdate_V1.2.0.0.0.bin" via USB drive inserted into the Prophet X.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:52:19 PM by studio460 »

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »
It definitely sounds like there's something more serious going on, which is unfortunate.  I am positive that DSI will take care of you, but it has to be frustrating to get your Prophet X and be unable to enjoy it day one.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
It definitely sounds like there's something more serious going on, which is unfortunate.  I am positive that DSI will take care of you, but it has to be frustrating to get your Prophet X and be unable to enjoy it day one.
Thanks for the words of support! DSI has been helping me via email, and I am one step closer. There is a way to reload sample names via an internal menu. This was successful and the synth now plays all sampled instruments properly. I'm still having trouble upgrading to 1.2 (I had to reload the original SYSEX file to get the synth working again), and will wait for DSI's reply before proceeding further. In the meantime, I have a working Prophet X!

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »
Okay, from my own observations, apparently the issue now is upgrading to firmware version 1.2 from a manually downloaded PX_Main_1.1.1.0.1.syx re-load via MIDI DIN, which results in a system-freeze.

DOES NOT WORK:

• PX_Main_1.1.1.0.1.syx → PxUpdate_V1.2.0.0.0.bin → System freeze (all OLEDs flashing snow).

If I understood others' experiences correctly, I'm inferring/assuming/guessing that the following two procedures have proven successful for several others according to recent posts to this and other forums (note that I'm guessing at the specific filenames):

WORKS: [ONLY INFERRED FROM OTHERS' POSTS—NOT PERSONALLY OBSERVED]

• PX_Main_1.1.1.0.0 disk image [default OS as-shipped] →  PXUpdate_V1.1.1.0.1.bin → PxUpdate_V1.2.0.0.0.bin.

• PX_Main_1.1.1.0.0 disk image [default OS as-shipped] →  PxUpdate_V1.2.0.0.0.bin.

For those whom example one applies, perhaps obtaining PX_Main_1.1.1.0.0.syx, and replicating the sequence in example three, solves the issue? (I can't test assumptions #2 and #3 myself since historical SXS/BIN files aren't publicly available.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:20:46 AM by studio460 »

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »
Everyone here who used the sysex install method did so because a prior attempt to do the normal .bin firmware upgrade had failed, so there's clearly more to it.

• Did everyone format their USB media originally using the Prophet X?  I did, and I'm pretty sure you did, so that's not likely an issue.
  • Is there a problem with a certain capacity of USB media?  I'm using a 1GB HP branded device that I had kicking around.
  • Is there a common operating system in the mix that winds up creating file system structures on USB media that are misinterpreted by the Prophet X?  I've had no problems and have been using macOS (various Mojave betas at different times.)
  • Has everyone followed good disk ejection hygiene?  If a USB storage device is removed after writing to it without properly ejecting / unmounting it then the files written can be corrupted.  Does the Prophet X verify the file before attempting to install it?

Lots of variables.  I'm sure DSI is trying to figure out the common cause right now.  I was able to successfully update from 1.0.0.0.0 to 1.1.0.0.0 to 1.1.1.0.1 (and the back down to 1.1.0.0.0 and up again to test a theory) and finally to 1.2.0.0.0 using the .bin method with no problems at any stage.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:02:12 AM by Lady Gaia »

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 03:24:31 AM »
SUCCESS!

DSI support sent me the v1.2 update in SYSEX form (rather than the .BIN file). I sent the update to the Prophet X via MIDI DIN using SysLibrarian on the macOS, and everything worked! Kudos to DSI support, especially CMBD, who patiently helped me work through the issue.

• PX_Main_1.1.1.0.1.syx → Px_Main_V1.2.0.0.0.syx
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:33:11 AM by studio460 »