Is it possible to pan out layers in Prophet 12?

Is it possible to pan out layers in Prophet 12?
« on: June 29, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »
Hello does anyone know if it is possible to pan out layers in Prophet 12?   Can you pan Layer A to the right and pan Layer B to the left?  Or is this not possible because it doesn't have stereo filters?  What can be panned in the Prophet 12?

Re: Is it possible to pan out layers in Prophet 12?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
Howdy!

Yes, set two mods, 1 per layer, both with DC as source, destruction set to Pan, set 1 to -127 and other to +127

Cheers.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »
Howdy!

Yes, set two mods, 1 per layer, both with DC as source, destruction set to Pan, set 1 to -127 and other to +127

Cheers.
What is DC?

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 06:42:08 PM »
It’s a mod source.

Basically it’s just a constant value, whereas a LFO for instance cycles from lower to higher values if, for example, it was set as the source triggering Pan, creating a sweeping from one speaker to the other, DC being a constant value just moves it toward to that speaker (when used as source for destination Pan in the mod matrix).

Think of DC as DC electricity and a LFO as AC electricity. Constant value vs changing value.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 04:13:36 PM »
It’s a mod source.

Basically it’s just a constant value, whereas a LFO for instance cycles from lower to higher values if, for example, it was set as the source triggering Pan, creating a sweeping from one speaker to the other, DC being a constant value just moves it toward to that speaker (when used as source for destination Pan in the mod matrix).

Think of DC as DC electricity and a LFO as AC electricity. Constant value vs changing value.
I see, it worked out well thanks!  Any other panning tricks in the Prophet 12?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 04:36:58 PM »
My personal preference is always to use the B Outputs on the back panel to send each layer to different mixer channels, and then to pan them at the mixer.  The obvious disadvantage of this method is that it places the instrument in a permanent state.  The advantage is that it's simple and requires no programming or loss of modulation; plus, you can center the channels and have it almost back to normal.  This arrangement can create some fabulous stereo effects.  Here's a short sample (No delay was used in the first patch; it was entirely the result of panned layers with differing filter settings.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HhpoZW838
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 04:49:24 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Gomjab

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
That sounds fantastic.  I need to try that trick on my Rev2 16 voice.  As long as I don’t need a split or stack of very different voices it will make a great 8 voice stereo synth.

I guess the stereo capabilties of the new Prophet X are similar (8 stereo or 16 mono) with added advantage that you don’t need to use stacking so you don’t sacrifice multitimbrality.

My personal preference is always to use the B Outputs on the back panel to send each layer to different mixer channels, and then to pan them at the mixer.  The obvious disadvantage of this method is that it places the instrument in a permanent state.  The advantage is that it's simple and requires no programming or loss of modulation; plus, you can center the channels and have it almost back to normal.  This arrangement can create some fabulous stereo effects.  Here's a short sample (No delay was used in the first patch; it was entirely the result of panned layers with differing filter settings.):

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 01:48:21 AM »
I run my P12 in quadraphonic mode. I run outputs A and B through 2 stereo volume pedals, and sometimes use 2 expression pedals to change the pan so I can move the sounds around in 3 dimensional space. If voice A and B are similar and a little reverb depth is added to one of them quite a good emulation of full spacial control is possible (but it's best to have 2 speakers high up in opposite corners and 2 low down).

Another good stereo trick is to pan 'A' R-L, and 'B' L-R on the same expression control. This works well with two different long sounds which blur together as they swirl through each other (it also works best with slow panning maybe you could control the pan with a slow LFO or envelope to save manual controls for other things).

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 01:02:06 PM »

How do you send a layer to the B outputs?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
Using the B Outputs separates the layers.  Layer A alone is then sent through the regular outputs jacks, and layer B alone is sent through the B outputs.