OB-6 Desktop

Re: OB-6 Desktop
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2016, 08:28:29 AM »
@DavidDever and Shaw: You're both located in Nashville? - I live about 10 minutes away from Corner Music.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2016, 08:47:31 AM »
You guys might want a referee.  :P

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »
Have you tried the Prophet-6?  I'm just curious if you would find it more flexible and to your liking.

Yes, although not side by side. It was a couple of months ago at another GC in the same city, but the environment was less than ideal, to say the least. And I had a similar experience. I felt like there was a lot of tonal ground shared by the P6 and my Pro 2 and Tetras. They have their nuanced differences, of course (the bass response in the Prophet was a little more warm and chewy, for example). But again it was difficult for me to justify the expense for what seemed to be very little sonic gain. I haven't written off either of these instruments, but these experiences have taken the edge off somewhat.

The OB-6 sounded thin and only mildly interesting, which just did not jive with the online demos I've heard

I thought the same thing. The demos I heard online sounded beefier than what I was hearing in person. As Shaw pointed out, the headphones may have been part of the problem. I was kicking myself for forgetting my studio phones, but I figured that my ear buds would suffice since I do listen to music on them. Perhaps the sound would have gotten hold of me more with better phones. But there's still the problem of value--what will the OB-6/P6 add to my current palette of sounds, and is it worth it?
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

Shaw

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
@DavidDever and Shaw: You're both located in Nashville? - I live about 10 minutes away from Corner Music.

I see the First Annual Beer Meeting of the Nashville Chapter of the DSI Forum in our future....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
I live in Indianapolis, but drive through Nashville on an almost monthly basis - and I very much believe in supporting those retailers who put products on demonstration (and do it right).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2016, 09:58:14 PM »
On DSI synths I have found the headphone output to be lacking. The sound is somewhat thin and bright compared to using the same headphones through an external amplifier connected to the main outs. Switching outputs will probably not affect the decision of whether to purchase one of these units, but it certainly makes the sound more pleasing.

Also, these synths really come alive when tweaking the parameters. They respond in a smooth, dynamic way that I have yet to hear from any digital synth, which is more of a "sweet spot" hunt and preset machine. Coming from digital I was surprised how "alive" the basic sound could be, and how inspiring that was to sculpt and play. That is what convinced me.

If these units had sounded too similar to gear I already owned it would not have justified the expense. Then again, I could live happily on just the P6 and OB-6 (or either if need be) and use soft synths for everything else. I can't say the same for my other synths.

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »
So, are we still on track for early fall release on these puppies?
(2) P6 Desktops, Prophet VS Rack, P10 Desktop, OB6 Desktop

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »
Yes  :)
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2016, 05:18:35 PM »
Excellent!!
(2) P6 Desktops, Prophet VS Rack, P10 Desktop, OB6 Desktop

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2016, 08:12:46 PM »
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:30:09 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
Yeah, I have to admit that I'm really inclined to buy the OB-6 Desktop after watching that; I was already lusting after a duo-/poly-phonic SEM-style unit after a few weeks with the MIDI-to-CV SEM. I've learned to work around the SEM's hard-wired limitations as it stands; the DSI implementation opens those possibilities a bit wider.

IMHO the desktop version looks better (similar to Matrix period, with minimal stripes) than the keyboard version. (With all due respect to the person who laid out the blue panel stripes, they just don't look proportionally correct when compared to the OB-Xa / OB-8, sorry.)

And I'm inclined to seek out a five-octave Xk (or an inexpensive Matrix-6 keyboard) for use of the Oberheim-style pitch / mod levers, which are a personal preference. But who knows - maybe I'll find myself a few hundred dollars poorer and an octave short.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:22:25 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2016, 08:32:24 PM »
It is a tantalizing review, with many sounds that sound wonderful. 

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2016, 11:37:50 AM »
I was going to buy a SEM or 2 until the OB6 came out now i have 6 of them with effects and a sequencer and much more for way less cost. VERY happy with my choice!
DSI Synths: OB6 Module, OB6 Keyboard.

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »
Hi,

I am new to synths. I bought a OB-6 Desktop. Is there a way, I can use my USB keyboard that I use in logic to trigger the sounds in the OB-6? Ideally, I would like to connect my AKAI MPK25 midi controller, to logic, then My OB6 Desktop to logic VIA USB as well, and usb my MIDI out from the OB-6 to connect to all my external gear. Any thoughts? and is there a specific midi keyboard i should use with the OB-6?

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
Hi,

I am new to synths. I bought a OB-6 Desktop. Is there a way, I can use my USB keyboard that I use in logic to trigger the sounds in the OB-6? Ideally, I would like to connect my AKAI MPK25 midi controller, to logic, then My OB6 Desktop to logic VIA USB as well, and usb my MIDI out from the OB-6 to connect to all my external gear. Any thoughts? and is there a specific midi keyboard i should use with the OB-6?

You might consider an external USB MIDI interface for your external gear - I really like the iConnectivity products (I use an iConnectMIDI4+ which provides multi-device USB connectivity), but your mileage may vary depending on your requirements.