OB-6 Desktop

Re: OB-6 Desktop
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
There's going to be one: https://youtu.be/zjy_6lH3IxQ?t=5m11s

Dave is almost "cynical" about subtractive synthesis, it sounds like he has other ideas up his sleeve but thinks "hey, this is what people relate to"

I didn't get that: he just seems to think that the subtractive synthesis architecture has matured into something that is familiar now and that has stood the test of time, like different classic electric guitar designs. He is saying that musicians needs several different synths for their individual character and interface, assuming we have large enough pockets! :)

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
Desktop good. Rack sounds interesting, but I wouldn't count on it - not enough reuse from P6. (And I'd prefer a real rack - even with a dreaded external supply like P12)

No way we're getting an extra LFO.

Desktop format is fine for me, and I can't see how they would fit all the controls onto a standard rack space? Maybe DSI could consider 'expander' voice card rack units that would double the polyphony of an OB6 (and provide dual/split capability), or also provide the sound engine of the OB6 without the controls (like the Matrix 1000) if tweaking isn't required for stage use. You could use the OB6 to program it back in the studio... or even use a computer editor (yuk!).

blewis

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2016, 10:09:14 AM »
They seem to carry some kind of emotional scar from the PER rack reissue that didn't go well.  8) Doubtful you'll see that.

Shaw

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2016, 11:08:45 AM »
the Matrix 1000)

My favorite 3 words... I had one years ago.    I'm going to find one on Reverb or eBay and then layer with the OB6.   Will report back... Though we all know the sound will be creamy goodness.

Cheers!

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock“n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

Re: OB
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »
They seem to carry some kind of emotional scar from the PER rack reissue that didn't go well.  8) Doubtful you'll see that.

What was the issue with the Poly Evolver Rack?  Was it the difficult interface?  I guess I've seen it exclusively as an easy way to expand a Poly Evolver Keyboard.

blewis

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 12:17:42 PM »
Dave once mentioned in one of these online video interviews that he'd only done one re-issue in his career and that he'd never do it again.

I may have mistakenly attributed this, but I thought I recalled on a forum someone saying that he'd re-issued the PER by popular demand and then no one bought them.

Internet hearsay?

I love mine (chained to a MEK) and I love the idea. But it does really require either a dedicated hardware programmer (MED/MEK/PEK) or software (which DSI punts on).

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 12:38:35 PM »
I remember when the PEK was first discontinued, and when DSI unexpectedly announced they had produced a new batch, but I wasn't aware that few people bought the new units.  I believe my PEK is from that second batch.  But I agree, the interface is terrible for so complex an instrument.  I never need to touch mine, though, since I do all the programming from the Keyboard panel. 

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
When the PER was announced as discontinued, we had a huge influx of requests to bring it back. So, after about a year, we did. About 30 of them sold right away, which we assume were the number of people that truly wanted to buy one that hadn't yet.

The rest sat, and sat, and sat, for a long time. It showed us that when an item is discontinued it's not worth bringing it back for the small amount of people that would rather purchase a new unit. Even now, it's not too difficult to find one on the used market if you need one for your setup. That experience was enough for Dave to decide to never do it again.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »
That experience was enough for Dave to decide to never do it again.

And I was just about to ask you to do it again....

Yes, you can still find PEKs here and there, although they are one of the rarer items on the used market.  For whatever reason, I find myself regularly watching for Evolvers.   But there's nothing like a brand new, hot-off-the-press, freshly baked synthesizer! 

Now what would it take to bribe you, Robot Heart, to make me one more PEK?   Just one more? ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:31:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »
Now what would it take to bribe you, Robot Heart, to make me one more PEK?   Just one more? ;D

I wouldn't suggest you go that route, Sacred Synthesis. Technology progresses over time and I am very sure you would much prefer something like a merger of Prophet-12/Pro 2 oscillators and Prophet-6/OB-6 oscillators/filters. In other words: look forward! If you are really into bribing DSI - which I am pretty sure would be completely pointless - I would suggest sending your money in the direction of a new design that you would actually like: sound and modulation.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
Shucks, I'm just having a little fun.  There's no possibility that DSI would make another PER, anyways.  And with all my searching, do you really think I'm not looking at new instruments?  I'm dizzy from reading spec sheets!  That's all I've been looking at, but with not a lot of satisfaction.  Hence, a little peripheral vision is called for - both ahead and behind, just to be thorough. 

I might add that my quest for the ideal monophonic synthesizer has produced nothing, and it turns out that the PEK and P'08 remain the closest things to the fulfillment of my ideals.  That wasn't my hope or intention, believe me, because I was quite eager to get a new piece of equipment into my music room.  But I won't buy something new, just so that I can say, "I've got something new, fellas!"  It's got to serve my musical needs or it's not needed or welcome.  Unfortunately, "new" is not a synonym for "better."  So, I remain a fan of the first generation of DSI synthesizers, even as I keep my eye out for developments in the DSI line up.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:41:24 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »
Hi,

I'm very happy to hear Dave confirming a desktop version of the OB-6 will be available later this year !

Now.. I wonder what they are planning to release next  ;)

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »
Next will be a big one, but it won't be until 2017.

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2016, 12:03:11 PM »
Shucks, I'm just having a little fun.  There's no possibility that DSI would make another PER, anyways.  And with all my searching, do you really think I'm not looking at new instruments?  I'm dizzy from reading spec sheets!  That's all I've been looking at, but with not a lot of satisfaction.  Hence, a little peripheral vision is called for - both ahead and behind, just to be thorough. 

I might add that my quest for the ideal monophonic synthesizer has produced nothing, and it turns out that the PEK and P'08 remain the closest things to the fulfillment of my ideals.  That wasn't my hope or intention, believe me, because I was quite eager to get a new piece of equipment into my music room.  But I won't buy something new, just so that I can say, "I've got something new, fellas!"  It's got to serve my musical needs or it's not needed or welcome.  Unfortunately, "new" is not a synonym for "better."  So, I remain a fan of the first generation of DSI synthesizers, even as I keep my eye out for developments in the DSI line up.

Really the PEK is a great collection of four mono synths, 4 notes poly was never quite enough but 4 mono synths are very nice to have.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2016, 05:05:49 PM »
Really the PEK is a great collection of four mono synths, 4 notes poly was never quite enough but 4 mono synths are very nice to have.

True - the PEK is basically four MEKs.  But, if you play bass pedals, then four keyboard voices become at least nearly adequate.  Or else, if your feet play the bass, your left hand plays a poly synth, and your right hand plays a PEK, then the PEK becomes more than adequate.  As a lone instrument, the PEK's four voices are too few, but in an ensemble, it's a pretty impressive polyphonic monster.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:08:36 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
Voilą:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
Beautiful - the module, I mean.

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »
I'm holding out for the OB-12 Desktop, that is if they decide to make one, which would hopefully be multi-timbral. Rack mount would be preferred, though.  I need more than 6 voices   :'(
Keith
www.beststyxtribute.com
Kurzweil PC3x | Muse Receptor 1C running VB3 and OP-X Pro | Novation SL-MkII 61 | Roland Ax Synth | Roland VP-7 Vocoder | EHX V256 Vocoder | Behringer XR-18 |  Digital Music Corp MX-8 Midi Patchbay | Prophet 5 | Ensoniq VFX-SD | Yamaha TX-7

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2016, 07:24:15 AM »
Why not get two OB-6 Modules?  You'd have either six-voice bi-timbrality or twelve voice mono-timbrality.

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »
Why not get two OB-6 Modules?  You'd have either six-voice bi-timbrality or twelve voice mono-timbrality.

Will take up two more channels (my entire rig is in stereo) on my already almost overwhelmed mixer, will take up more space that I don't have as I already have little space for the desktop (hence my preference for a rack model), more midi channels and wiring on my midi patchbay, more stuff to hookup during setup if it is not pre-wired in my rack.  Also, you would think that the cost of adding the 6 voices to the OB-6 would be a lot cheaper than another full set of knobs (pots), switches and memory plus the 6 voices.  On the flipside I would guess there has to be enough of a market for the OB-12 for it to make sense to produce.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:56:07 AM by wagscpa »
Keith
www.beststyxtribute.com
Kurzweil PC3x | Muse Receptor 1C running VB3 and OP-X Pro | Novation SL-MkII 61 | Roland Ax Synth | Roland VP-7 Vocoder | EHX V256 Vocoder | Behringer XR-18 |  Digital Music Corp MX-8 Midi Patchbay | Prophet 5 | Ensoniq VFX-SD | Yamaha TX-7