There's going to be one: https://youtu.be/zjy_6lH3IxQ?t=5m11s

Sacred Synthesis

Re: OB-6 Desktop
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
Excellent!

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »
Excellent!

Please don't abuse it as a mono synth.  ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 02:53:15 PM »
Heh-heh-heh.  You know me too well.  I'll enslave that OB-6 to the mono position, no matter how it cries out for mercy!  :P

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »
Heh-heh-heh.  You know me too well.  I'll enslave that OB-6 to the mono position, no matter how it cries out for mercy!  :P

It'll break you, trust me. In the end you will cry out for mercy if you can't use it polyphonically.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
Aw shucks.  Enough, already.  If I get an OB-6, I promise to play a chord on it once a day, okay?

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 02:59:24 PM »
Aw shucks.  Enough, already.  If I get an OB-6, I promise to play a chord on it once a day, okay?

You'll end up modulating your way through harmonies all day.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
By the way, you failed to comment on the OB-6's sawtooth lead patch!  What, did you forget all about me just because I haven't been posting much lately?

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »
By the way, you failed to comment on the OB-6's sawtooth lead patch!  What, did you forget all about me just because I haven't been posting much lately?

What patch you do mean? Are you saying I should have dialed up a specific patch or should I have edited one from scratch while testing the OB-6 yesterday?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »
My main test patch for every synthesizer is the sawtooth lead that I so often use: two sawtooths closely tuned, static filter setting, moderately slow VCA attack, and with delayed vibrato.  It has to be pure, simple, and with no other modulation or distortion.  Seriously, it's one of those sounds that bluntly reveals the character of an instrument and doesn't allow it to hide behind any wells or whistles.  Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLQIjG03cCE

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
My main test patch for every synthesizer is the sawtooth lead that I so often use: two sawtooths closely tuned, static filter setting, moderately slow VCA attack, and with delayed vibrato.  It has to be pure, simple, and with no other modulation or distortion.  Seriously, it's one of those sounds that bluntly reveals the character of an instrument and doesn't allow it to hide behind any wells or whistles.  Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLQIjG03cCE

I know, I know. Well, I could try to record that in store and upload it afterwards. It'll be no surrogate for testing in person though.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 03:26:38 PM »
I'm just razzing ya.  I didn't expect you to.  I actually have no doubt it would be excellent.

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 11:38:42 PM »

As said not 19" rack-able. :-(  @ 5:30,   ~ 800U is bit extreme perhaps.

Did some drawings and calculation that should make a 19" rack workable
The OB6 has one filter section and distortion section (and knobs) less than P6, that should free up some space
if the Clock , App, Seq and Effects on the top row width fits in 19" (~ 432mm) perhaps it could be workable.
Move the switch board switches a little bit close to each other too.
Move the power adapter outside.
If the outer case makes it > 432mm wide, then use the approach like the Moog mother 32 to have a separate desktop case to mount the module in. if electronics  need some more space,  make it a bit deeper, there is sufficient depth space in a 19" rack. (alike Moog RME)
Probably DSI has time constraint with all that is going and reuse the P6 case and board with minor layout changes. but well.. who am I.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:46:11 PM by musicmaker »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 09:59:36 AM »
To state the obvious, having both 6s in keyboard and module form means you can combine one keyboard with the other module for one dandy little synthesizer with a nice wide palette.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »

Dave is almost "cynical" about subtractive synthesis, it sounds like he has other ideas up his sleeve but thinks "hey, this is what people relate to"

dslsynth

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:30 AM »
Dave is almost "cynical" about subtractive synthesis, it sounds like he has other ideas up his sleeve but thinks "hey, this is what people relate to"

I have only heard the interview once but my impression is that if you want advanced filters please look elsewhere.

Will see what happens at next NAMM Show! ;)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

lt773

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »

I have only heard the interview once but my impression is that if you want advanced filters please look elsewhere.

Will see what happens at next NAMM Show! ;)

I agree, with the success of the P6 and OB6 Dave & Co. will now have more $$$ and freedom to do some crazy shit

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 03:39:06 AM »
Hi,

Love the sound of the OB-6, I was wondering if you will be making a desktop version like you have with the Prophet 6. (I'm running out of space and have nowhere to put another synth).

Also in one of the NAMM videos I watched, it was mentioned that Tom has made a limited number of the SEM osc, does this mean that the OB-6 is a limited edition or will Tom make more if the demand for the OB-6 is high enough?

Thank Jeff

I don't think there will be a problem with availability of components, as this is a new PCB design based on the original SEM circuits. Would definitely be interested in a desktop Xpander (sorry) version of the OB6 though, particularly if it allows for a 12-voice OB6 controlled from the keyboard version. :)

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 03:41:51 AM »
IMO the modal stuff is a really expensive, and a little bit weird too. The racks lack all the knobs.
I'm yet to be impressed by anything I've heard from the Modal 008 so far.  The hard panned output would drive me nuts as well. The rack doesn't look much fun to program either. A browser-based interface is no substitute for an array of knobs and buttons.

As a P6 keyboard owner I'm definitely going to have to wait out for an OB-6 desktop. No room here for another keyboard and I like all the ones I'm keeping.

Panning issue is sorted now they have a digital IO module on the 008, but the OB6 certainly gives the 008 a run for its money if you are happy with the limited modulation options, and don't need 15 different types of filter :)

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 08:24:42 AM »
PS I'd love to see parameter sequencing on the OB6-R, like Korg have implemented on the Minilogue (or on the Modal 008). :)