Moog One

jg666

Re: Moog One
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
Just to provide an alternate viewpoint... my Moog One is solid. Does it have some software niggles that need to be ironed out... yes (and Moog already released a pretty substantial update that addressed quite a few issues).  But in the same breath, is it a complete and functional instrument unlike anything else on the market... hell yes. It has quickly become one of my favorites, and at the risk of sounding cliché, it is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

Maybe this isn’t really an “alternate viewpoint”... I want and expect the software to be perfected (and honestly, our beloved Sequential does this too), but my experience with the Moog One is positive. No regrets on this purchase at all.

That’s good to hear :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2019, 09:41:11 PM »
Just to provide an alternate viewpoint... my Moog One is solid.

Congrats!

« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2019, 08:01:59 AM »
my Moog One is solid.

Hi Shaw, may I ask, did you purchase the 8 or 16 voice and are you pleased with the choice? Thanks

Shaw

« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2019, 11:08:21 AM »
my Moog One is solid.

Hi Shaw, may I ask, did you purchase the 8 or 16 voice and are you pleased with the choice? Thanks

16v and purchased from Sweetwater which gave me peace of mind because Sweetwater will let you return your purchase for any reason... i.e. “I don’t like the smell”.  So I had literally zero risk.

As for pleased with it? Absolutely.  I don’t think I would be happy with the 8v version because I have grown to love making patches that utilize 2 synth timbres with slight variations panned left and right... it gets really thick real fast, but with the 8v version, you’d essentially have a 4 voice synth.  And consider the price difference between the 8v and 16v versions. Less than 2000 for 8 voices of Moog monstrosity!!! (I say “less than 2000” because I’m factoring in the inevitable discount you’ll negotiate for).
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jg666

« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2019, 05:34:48 AM »
The Moog One appeals to me because of the immense scale and depth of the thing but then all the demonstrations and reviews I've seen, I've preferred the sound of the Matriarch to what I've heard them playing on the One. The problem for me though is that I don't really want a synth that doesn't have presets so the Matriarch is not something I'd want to spend that much money on.

Can the Moog One sound like the Matriarch I wonder? If so then I'd better start saving up the £s !
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »

OceanMachine

« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2020, 05:04:18 AM »
Incredible.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2020, 05:08:48 AM »
It's always good to see someone making full use of a single instrument.

« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »
Doesn't appear that the wobbly stand under that beast is making him nervous.  How? :o
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2020, 05:59:45 PM »

I got mine about a week ago and I’m really loving it.

OK, there are some things that aren’t my favorite. The XY pad is cool but I think a hard surface would work better. It’s really heavy–about 45 lbs. I have no plans playing live with it but even getting to the back to patch cables requires effort. The much-discussed fans aren’t bad in low mode but it’s not summer yet so we’ll see…Otherwise the thing is built really well with hardware as solid as you’d expect.

The sounds are gorgeous. I guess I didn’t realize when it came out that it had a SVF on it, which was one of the deal sealers. And there are so many little things that make for such rich sounds. For example each voice can have variances of a number of cents you can control for those per-voice differences that you get in all-analog synths. And the SVF is actually 2 filters in series for which you can space the cutoff for phasey-type sounds. I would have thought that a ladder filter would be too muddy for a poly but it works really well especially with the various pole settings. Being able to combine the filters is almost like build-your-own-filter functionality! I’m really liking the various FM and ring mod tones. Blending them subtly can really enrich a patch. There’s even control over the noise limiting so you can go full-hiss if you want!

Each of the modules seems to give you almost all of the options you’d want, for example the envelopes let you loop, add hold time, adjust overall timing, change between linear and exponential per stage, etc. Any time I think a feature isn’t there I can almost always find another way of doing it. The layout and combination of hardware and soft knobs makes sense; the most-used stuff is on the panel with everything else just a click away.

Overall, I’m super happy to have this thing. I liked the Rev2 for lots of things but wasn’t always able to get meaty tones and this does that so well in addition to just about everything I liked on the Rev2. It’s super pricey but apparently the Minimoog would be around $60K in 2020 dollars so you do the math!

« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2020, 01:31:07 PM »
Sounds fun.  Please post some sounds once you get used to it.  What's SVF stand for?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

jg666

« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2020, 01:32:49 PM »
State Variable Filter would be my guess :)