Moog One

LoboLives

Re: Moog One
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2019, 02:58:47 PM »
I only got to play the One at Superbooth, which was under less than ideal conditions – lots of noise around and about 10 guys waiting in line behind me. At first sight, I found the UI more overwhelming than I would have thought before. That and the situation didn't quite put me in a relaxed mood to start messing around with sound design from scratch. So I only went through some presets and tweaked a few parameters here and there. I wasn't exactly blown away and there was something about the sonic character I didn't particularly like. Hard to describe really, but I found it a bit too "compressed midrangey." I then went over to the Matriarch and got lost in it immediately for half an hour. In terms of sound and fun I'd choose the Matriarch over the One at any time. On the other hand, such a comparison doesn't make much sense. But I could easily see the One being too much for me. There was one synth in a similar price range whose sound impressed me a lot more than that of the One, though: the River.

Yes! The River sounds absolutely incredible as does The Matriach.

Wow...just wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taOKrFoOd_I
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:01:03 PM by LoboLives »

Shaw

« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2019, 04:25:29 PM »
The River certainly sounds nice, but having to send it to France if it needed repairs would be a nightmare.

In case you missed some more recent (and better) One demos...

https://youtu.be/ptCQLhxdBgg

https://youtu.be/4qO-DWLIIV4
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2019, 04:39:09 PM »
Yeah, I'd take a Moog One over The River and Matriarch combined any day.

« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »
The River certainly sounds nice, but having to send it to France if it needed repairs would be a nightmare.

Sure, I understand that. Laurent seems to be very reliable, but the prospect of having to send the instrument across the pond just in case is not very appealing. FWIW: I'm also no potential River buyer, as it would be too expensive for me and not add anything substantially new or different to my arsenal. I just thought it sounded nice, that's all.

In case you missed some more recent (and better) One demos...

These are indeed some more promising demos and I've watched snippets of these before. Like I've written above: I checked it out under less than ideal conditions, so I'm still careful with my overall assessment. At that moment, though, I didn't quite connect with the One's sound or rather the sound of the patches I've skimmed through – big difference, I know. I'm sure it can be a sound designer's dream and I'll have another go at it once it hits more stores.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:28:08 PM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2019, 02:34:08 AM »
Honestly... to my ears, those last demoes certainly sound good, but I can also hear that the main strength if compared to say; a REV2 is that it's FX engine is a hell of a lot better than the REV2's ... I've been stating quite often, that Sequential should start rethinking their FX engine in their synths... more parameters, better quality and flexibility in the available parameters... A REV2 with that FX engine (the ONE FX engine) would boost the REV2 to new heights, and might easily threaten the ONE a lot more in that case.... yes yes, it's "the MOOG sound"... and yes, the ladder filters is preferable to the Curtis, but in my humble opinion, that depend on what you actually want to use a poly synth for... if it's booming basses, then yes... ONE will kick REV2 butt, but when it comes to pads and that stuff, I'm not so sure anymore because that generally comes down to the flexibility of the engine as well, a department that MOOG (until now) has not been giving it's users very much off...

If the ONE was in module form, and about half the price, I may be tempted to get one, otherwise the money would be much better spend on other synths, and I'd choose a QUANTUM over ONE any day for ambient polysynth duties... For those users that just want the MOOG sound and a poly, sure... this is it... but for someone who wants a very deep engine polysynth with lots of sonic variation capabilities, my opinion is that there are lots of other way cheaper solutions that will give you the same flexibility...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2019, 05:15:11 PM »
Honestly... to my ears, those last demoes certainly sound good, but I can also hear that the main strength if compared to say; a REV2 is that it's FX engine is a hell of a lot better than the REV2's ... I've been stating quite often, that Sequential should start rethinking their FX engine in their synths... more parameters, better quality and flexibility in the available parameters... A REV2 with that FX engine (the ONE FX engine) would boost the REV2 to new heights, and might easily threaten the ONE a lot more in that case.... yes yes, it's "the MOOG sound"... and yes, the ladder filters is preferable to the Curtis, but in my humble opinion, that depend on what you actually want to use a poly synth for... if it's booming basses, then yes... ONE will kick REV2 butt, but when it comes to pads and that stuff, I'm not so sure anymore because that generally comes down to the flexibility of the engine as well, a department that MOOG (until now) has not been giving it's users very much off...

If the ONE was in module form, and about half the price, I may be tempted to get one, otherwise the money would be much better spend on other synths, and I'd choose a QUANTUM over ONE any day for ambient polysynth duties... For those users that just want the MOOG sound and a poly, sure... this is it... but for someone who wants a very deep engine polysynth with lots of sonic variation capabilities, my opinion is that there are lots of other way cheaper solutions that will give you the same flexibility...

It would be a very interesting experiment to do some recordings of a 16 voice REV2 or Prologue and run them through an Eventide H9 pedal and label it as "Moog One recordings?" and see if anyone could actually tell they weren't authentic.

« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2019, 04:56:10 AM »

It would be a very interesting experiment to do some recordings of a 16 voice REV2 or Prologue and run them through an Eventide H9 pedal and label it as "Moog One recordings?" and see if anyone could actually tell they weren't authentic.

Aside from the ability to add a suboscillator, there are a few things that one can do with a third VCO that might definitely stand out in a demo (as well as things required to keep 48 VCOs happy in terms of stability and gain staging).

There is a polished "big-ness" of The One that reminds me of the Memorymoog, and suggests the Andromeda, which in the right hands could be put to excellent effect (Eventide processing notwithstanding). But the River strikes me as a chaotic handful of snakes that doesn't want to be managed, and might require a bit more processing to fit into a mix (but would certainly be fun to "workshop" on).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »
I now have a One. It and the Quantum have been my main synths lately, as most of my energy has been going into sound design on them. The thing that bugged me on all the demos is that they immediately use one of the more unique features: the blend between the saw/tri and pulse core oscillators. Unfortunately, unless you're careful, it ends up just sounding like doubled octaves, and so every patch gets this harpsichord/organ vibe in which it's tough to tell the difference between the fundamental and the first harmonic. Finally I heard some of Jamie Morden's patches on it, as well as Mr. Firechild's piece with it, and I realized it had a lot more range than the default patches gave it credit for. (Jamie was contracted by Moog to produce a set of classic sounds which are available for registered owners free now.) So that convinced me to pull the trigger.

In some ways it reminds me a lot of the Prophet 12, but with better sounding oscillators for the traditional waves. The voicing is intentionally thin in some areas to get it to sit in a mix better than the Memorymoog did (so they claim, I've never had a MemoryMoog). But with three oscillators, the effects, and all the modulation sources, it's easy to thicken it up. So you can do traditional Moog (or Oberheim or Polysix or...) sounds, including a nice ring mod and sync controls. FM, too, but it's harder to control. It reminds me the most of the Prophet 12 in that there are so many performance options as well as neat tricks you can do--the X/Y pressure pad does a lot of what the two ribbons on the 12 do. The two filters take some work to get to know, but because the multimode 12db filter is actually also a dual filter with separable peaks and configurable in parallel or in series, you can actually get triple-filter sounds. That makes a lot of the standard filter sweep sounds a lot more interesting and subtle. Because the voice is complex, I rarely ever make layered sounds (this was true on the 12 as well).

It is more chameleonlike than the River or Deckard's Dream, but there are some definite Moog One-ish sounds, often involving the dual filter and mixed oscillators. But it can also double as a generic analog poly with some funky extras, as well. It does pair well with the Quantum, and I think it would with the PolyEvolver, because it has a complimentary character.

The damn thing will strain your back, though.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2019, 05:46:54 AM »
Two videos that start to influence my initial negative opinion about this synth. One by the keyboard player of Jamiroquai, Matt Johnson, one by Katsunori Ujiie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQeWIWnkNOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmOvc2txzXY

Shaw

« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2019, 05:57:20 AM »
Two videos that start to influence my initial negative opinion about this synth. One by the keyboard player of Jamiroquai, Matt Johnson, one by Katsunori Ujiie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQeWIWnkNOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmOvc2txzXY
Sit with one for a while... you’re negative opinion might change quicker.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jok3r

« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »
Katsunori Ujiie could sell me any synth. He can make anything sound good and he's a keyboard player out of hell. I don't make my decisions by musictrackjp demos, because they don't represent what an average player like me could do with an instrument.  ;)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »
Katsunori Ujiie could sell me any synth. He can make anything sound good and he's a keyboard player out of hell. I don't make my decisions by musictrackjp demos, because they don't represent what an average player like me could do with an instrument.  ;)

Lisa Bella Donna is in that category for me, as well. She has amazing chops, a deeply musical sensibility, and better sound design skills than I have. I might catch up some day in the sound design department, but I'm never going to get close in the other two at this age.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

ddp

« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2019, 10:24:07 PM »
I think she's really good too, I met her at Moogfest two years ago.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2019, 06:10:53 AM »
The “intro” video.

https://youtu.be/irlptRTpmMk

Had had a One to myself for 30 mins or so. One day.... 8)

OceanMachine

« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2019, 04:22:16 PM »
Always love Nick's sound design choices and this is the best I've heard out of the synth. Ah, now I want One... Sounds incredible.

jg666

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2019, 01:27:59 AM »
There's a long review from Loopop who always does great reviews in my opinion :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314JyJX6xdU

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
[ https://youtu.be/8HvV1jQxQsU

Sonicstate review finally available. It looks like there are still quite a lot of things to fix in the firmware and the first unit he was sent had problems which meant they had to send him another one. Honestly I wouldn’t expect problems with a synth that costs this much.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2019, 09:31:42 PM »
[ https://youtu.be/8HvV1jQxQsU

Sonicstate review finally available. It looks like there are still quite a lot of things to fix in the firmware and the first unit he was sent had problems which meant they had to send him another one. Honestly I wouldn’t expect problems with a synth that costs this much.

Agree 100%. At least not to the point of where you have to find a whole new replacement.

« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2019, 07:01:19 AM »

Agree 100%. At least not to the point of where you have to find a whole new replacement.

I think the reviewer captured the spirit of the device incredibly well. Moog is a very small company that tries to make a real difference. I had a few issues with my Model D re-issue beyond the warranty date and their response was incredibly generous.

Re. the Moog One, they delivered the hardware platform, now there is something called "software" they have to get right. They will get there eventually I am sure. I feel a bit guilty/like a free rider though, sitting on the side line waiting and not supporting them though. If it works, I might get one, if it doesn't, well, their problem.

Shaw

« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
Just to provide an alternate viewpoint... my Moog One is solid. Does it have some software niggles that need to be ironed out... yes (and Moog already released a pretty substantial update that addressed quite a few issues).  But in the same breath, is it a complete and functional instrument unlike anything else on the market... hell yes. It has quickly become one of my favorites, and at the risk of sounding cliché, it is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

Maybe this isn’t really an “alternate viewpoint”... I want and expect the software to be perfected (and honestly, our beloved Sequential does this too), but my experience with the Moog One is positive. No regrets on this purchase at all.