Moog One

ddp

Re: Moog One
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2018, 11:04:58 PM »
Yes, I prefer assembly for sound design.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

dslsynth

« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2018, 03:52:07 PM »
My favorite computer joke:

There are 2 hard problems in computers:
1) naming things
2) caching things
3) off by one errors

Its a favorite of mine too. Seen it served as "there are two hard problems in computer science".

Would be lovely if the Moog One voice architecture will be available as a smaller more affordable lower voice count module in the future. Its a pretty neat voice architecture.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:55:02 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2018, 12:00:00 AM »
I think more people are interested in the fact this is pretty much a powerful computer built into an analog synth rather than the sound of the synth itself. Do we really need endless memory for patches? Do we really need endless modulation possibilities? I know I'm in the minority here but honestly if I wanted to have a screen that big and have the ability to organize sounds and see every single parameter...isn't that what a software editor is for? Yeah it's nice to have it all built in but is it really a necessity? Seems like it's more just a distraction to focus on rather than listening to the sounds of the synth. It seems to be everyone's focus. In almost all those live streams that Moog does there's probably less than 10% of the video with actual sound demonstration while the rest is talking about the screen and menus and how powerful the synth is. I don't care about that.  I want to hear and judge for myself. Even the demo at Vintage King Audio was kind of "meh".

I would agree with you Lobo about the screen if Moog sacrificed physical controls to add the screen.  I had the opportunity to see the One in person and it simply has the best designed user interface I’ve ever seen on a synthesizer.  You only need to go to that screen when you want to refine something.  The physical controls are primary and there is no deep menu diving when you get to those screens.  Like the Rev2 you can quickly assign modulation assignments by hitting one button and turning a knob.  Each of the synth sections have a more button if you want to dive deeper.

I am not under the illusion that the One will replace my other analog synths. My Rev2 and P12m aren’t going anywhere as I love them for what they are but Moog deserves a lot of credit for the UI and deep features.  One of the features revealed during the live streams was the voice allocation.  You can reserve a voice count for each of the 3 synths if you want to guarantee a specific number of voices (a feature I would have loved on my Rev2 to allocate 1 voice to one layer for bass or lead leaving 15 for other layer) But you can also define how to do voice steeling independly in each instance.  You can select steal oldest voice, newest voice, or quietest voice.  The envelopes are not only DAHDSR but each segment can be linear, exponential, or logarithmic. They can also be looping essentially becoming additional LFOs if desired.  Speaking of LFOs the 4 LFOs can be per voice or configured to be global.  The LFOs have the standard shapes but can also morph between shapes.

There are many little things that I find missing in other synths that they thought to include in the One.  Yes it is expensive but it doesn’t seem they left much out so it truly is a flagship. 

As for the demos Moog only formally launched the One last Monday.  It was obvious from the sound design live stream that they are still finalizing the presets.  I think they chose to concentrate last week on the internals. Unlike the Quantum that had a long time between the formal announcement and even the optimistic ship date, the One will go from pre-launch to being in the hands of users in under a month.  I would expect the floodgates to open late next week with all kinds of demos.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Moog has some more musical demos themselves this week.  It is obvious that they are looking at the forums and see people asking to hear different types of demos.

I for one am thrilled to see the likes of the Quantum, Prophet X, and One after a long drought of flagship synthesizers.

Well all I’m saying is I hope Sequential doesn’t start putting large screens on their synths. I honestly think it’s totally unceassary, especially with external editors.

Well... would that not require that DSI start to get their asses up, and start creating editors for their synths like MOOG does it then? ... It's still incredible, that the company who created MIDI, and has some of the most advanced engines still do not produce a single editor for their large expensive synths.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2018, 02:39:54 AM »
I think more people are interested in the fact this is pretty much a powerful computer built into an analog synth rather than the sound of the synth itself. Do we really need endless memory for patches? Do we really need endless modulation possibilities? I know I'm in the minority here but honestly if I wanted to have a screen that big and have the ability to organize sounds and see every single parameter...isn't that what a software editor is for? Yeah it's nice to have it all built in but is it really a necessity? Seems like it's more just a distraction to focus on rather than listening to the sounds of the synth. It seems to be everyone's focus. In almost all those live streams that Moog does there's probably less than 10% of the video with actual sound demonstration while the rest is talking about the screen and menus and how powerful the synth is. I don't care about that.  I want to hear and judge for myself. Even the demo at Vintage King Audio was kind of "meh".

I would agree with you Lobo about the screen if Moog sacrificed physical controls to add the screen.  I had the opportunity to see the One in person and it simply has the best designed user interface I’ve ever seen on a synthesizer.  You only need to go to that screen when you want to refine something.  The physical controls are primary and there is no deep menu diving when you get to those screens.  Like the Rev2 you can quickly assign modulation assignments by hitting one button and turning a knob.  Each of the synth sections have a more button if you want to dive deeper.

I am not under the illusion that the One will replace my other analog synths. My Rev2 and P12m aren’t going anywhere as I love them for what they are but Moog deserves a lot of credit for the UI and deep features.  One of the features revealed during the live streams was the voice allocation.  You can reserve a voice count for each of the 3 synths if you want to guarantee a specific number of voices (a feature I would have loved on my Rev2 to allocate 1 voice to one layer for bass or lead leaving 15 for other layer) But you can also define how to do voice steeling independly in each instance.  You can select steal oldest voice, newest voice, or quietest voice.  The envelopes are not only DAHDSR but each segment can be linear, exponential, or logarithmic. They can also be looping essentially becoming additional LFOs if desired.  Speaking of LFOs the 4 LFOs can be per voice or configured to be global.  The LFOs have the standard shapes but can also morph between shapes.

There are many little things that I find missing in other synths that they thought to include in the One.  Yes it is expensive but it doesn’t seem they left much out so it truly is a flagship. 

As for the demos Moog only formally launched the One last Monday.  It was obvious from the sound design live stream that they are still finalizing the presets.  I think they chose to concentrate last week on the internals. Unlike the Quantum that had a long time between the formal announcement and even the optimistic ship date, the One will go from pre-launch to being in the hands of users in under a month.  I would expect the floodgates to open late next week with all kinds of demos.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Moog has some more musical demos themselves this week.  It is obvious that they are looking at the forums and see people asking to hear different types of demos.

I for one am thrilled to see the likes of the Quantum, Prophet X, and One after a long drought of flagship synthesizers.

Well all I’m saying is I hope Sequential doesn’t start putting large screens on their synths. I honestly think it’s totally unceassary, especially with external editors.

Well... would that not require that DSI start to get their asses up, and start creating editors for their synths like MOOG does it then? ... It's still incredible, that the company who created MIDI, and has some of the most advanced engines still do not produce a single editor for their large expensive synths.

It is quite bizarre that there are no in-house editors for DSI/Sequential synths. Having said that, personally, I don’t like having to use a PC and external equipment to manage patches. The fact that all this can be done on the Moog One itself is a huge plus for me. It means I can spend more time creating and less time faffing about.

Gomjab

« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:55 AM »
Patch management on the One is the gold standard in my opinion. It has an onboard relational database.  The fact you can create user spaces that can be saved off to the USB stick is also really slick. The user space captures all your patches and settings and can be loaded on another One without disturbing the local settings there.  It is also useful for creating separate sandboxes on your One for projects.  It will even create random names for your patches if you like.  No more memory numbers to remember. Everything is based on name, type, category, mood, and group. 

It also allows you to create performance sets so you can quickly change patches in proper order when needed.

LoboLives

« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
I got to try both the Quantum and Moog One at Long and McQuade today in Toronto. I personally didn't gel with either of them. They sound good but I spent more time menu diving and less time programing. That's a no go for me. If I can't sit down at an instrument and enjoy it (and for synthesizers that means programing) within 10 minutes then I have no interest in it what so ever.  I actually ended up enjoy more of my time with the Prophet REV2.

dslsynth

« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2018, 04:22:36 PM »
If I can't sit down at an instrument and enjoy it (and for synthesizers that means programing) within 10 minutes then I have no interest in it what so ever.

Wise words to any synthesizer designer: user interfaces and immediacy are extremely important.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

jg666

« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2018, 11:55:22 PM »
If I can't sit down at an instrument and enjoy it (and for synthesizers that means programing) within 10 minutes then I have no interest in it what so ever.

Wise words to any synthesizer designer: user interfaces and immediacy are extremely important.

Indeed, I was the same when I tried the Novation Peak.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Shaw

« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »
I got to try both the Quantum and Moog One at Long and McQuade today in Toronto. I personally didn't gel with either of them. They sound good but I spent more time menu diving and less time programing. That's a no go for me. If I can't sit down at an instrument and enjoy it (and for synthesizers that means programing) within 10 minutes then I have no interest in it what so ever.  I actually ended up enjoy more of my time with the Prophet REV2.
Menu diving on the Moog One???  I haven't touched one yet, but isn't it mostly "knob per function" like other Moogs?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »
Menu diving on the Moog One???  I haven't touched one yet, but isn't it mostly "knob per function" like other Moogs?

It took me a while to figure out how to initialize a patch. It’s just set up really oddly. It makes you feel like there should be a search button or INIT button on the front panel...unless there is and the sales person and I missed it. Then trying to browse sounds wasn’t that enjoyable. Hated almost every sound that came out of the PA. It could come down to unfamiliarity or me not knowing where to find things but I just couldn’t gel with it. 

There is something else, not too important, but the main scrolling dial’s silver center fell off. I felt bad for the sales person who was next to me (he looked shocked and embarrassed because we were just talking about the cost of the thing when it came off lol ) but it should be an easy fix. Still...I will have to give it another go just to be sure.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:34 PM »

Shaw

« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »
There is something else, not too important, but the main scrolling dial’s silver center fell off. I felt bad for the sales person who was next to me (he looked shocked and embarrassed because we were just talking about the cost of the thing when it came off lol ) but it should be an easy fix. Still...I will have to give it another go just to be sure.
You can take the Moog out of the 70s but you can’t take the 70s out of the Moog.   
I’m joking.  Moog has a built name on just two things: well built synths, and dearly priced synths.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2018, 10:22:34 PM »
They sound good

Hated almost every sound that came out of the PA.
You exemplified what I was thinking.... must have been the PA.

And to be fair, most PAs used for synth demos in music stores sound like shit.  Because they use the cheapest speakers they have generally... even to demo the $8k synth.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:24:17 PM by Shaw »

« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2018, 02:48:54 AM »

It took me a while to figure out how to initialize a patch. It’s just set up really oddly. It makes you feel like there should be a search button or INIT button on the front panel...unless there is and the sales person and I missed it. Then trying to browse sounds wasn’t that enjoyable. Hated almost every sound that came out of the PA. It could come down to unfamiliarity or me not knowing where to find things but I just couldn’t gel with it. 

Init patch is a two-button combination like it is on DSI synths (why the combination isn’t silk screened onto the panel is a mystery though).

LoboLives

« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2018, 07:49:16 AM »

ddp

« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »
Solo violin on the Moog One played through the LinnStrument is something else.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

Gomjab

« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »
Solo violin on the Moog One played through the LinnStrument is something else.

I’m looking forward to the update that will add MPE support to the One so the LinnStrument can really make it sing!

Shaw

« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2019, 12:28:49 PM »
So... anyone here take the plunge and buy one of these monsters?
I finally got to play one (One) and I have to admit... I like it.  A lot. 
I wasn't impressed with the early YouTube videos, but after reading the manual and getting to fiddle with one for a bit... it just oozes potential. 
Really curious to hear other opinions from any owners or those with personal experience on the instrument.

LoboLives

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2019, 02:17:42 PM »
So... anyone here take the plunge and buy one of these monsters?
I finally got to play one (One) and I have to admit... I like it.  A lot. 
I wasn't impressed with the early YouTube videos, but after reading the manual and getting to fiddle with one for a bit... it just oozes potential. 
Really curious to hear other opinions from any owners or those with personal experience on the instrument.

I've warmed up to it

I got to play the 8 Voice version a lot at Cosmo Music here as well as the 16 Voice version downtown at Long and McQuade in Toronto. I still personally prefer the 8 voice.

I think most of the factory patches are absolute dreck but the key really, like most synths, is programing from the INIT patch. Voice allocation is a big plus as, even on the 8 Voice you can determine how many voices go to each engine. I think I've warmed up to it like I said and really do appreciate the scope of the instrument and sonically it once you find a sweet spot, it sounds amazing...but I'm not sure it's breathtaking or unique enough sonically for the price. Even with programing from scratch and browsing presets...I just haven't heard anything that would make me go "I'm missing that, I need that."

Honestly, if Deckard's Dream was ever made into a keyboard based synth, I'd take that over the one.

« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
I only got to play the One at Superbooth, which was under less than ideal conditions – lots of noise around and about 10 guys waiting in line behind me. At first sight, I found the UI more overwhelming than I would have thought before. That and the situation didn't quite put me in a relaxed mood to start messing around with sound design from scratch. So I only went through some presets and tweaked a few parameters here and there. I wasn't exactly blown away and there was something about the sonic character I didn't particularly like. Hard to describe really, but I found it a bit too "compressed midrangey." I then went over to the Matriarch and got lost in it immediately for half an hour. In terms of sound and fun I'd choose the Matriarch over the One at any time. On the other hand, such a comparison doesn't make much sense. But I could easily see the One being too much for me. There was one synth in a similar price range whose sound impressed me a lot more than that of the One, though: the River.