Moog One

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Re: Moog One
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »

Sorry to say, but I stand by my previous concern, that this synth is NOT worth 8k... at least in my opinion.

That's the thing about Moog kit though, it isn't worth the money compared to other manufacturers, they charge too much.

The upgrade to my Moog guitar for 13 pin midi was around $1500, this is a Ghost system, the same you can get in a similar quality Brian Moore guitar. The only difference is that with Brian moore you get the guitar thrown in for that price as well!

Moog charge over the odds because people will pay, it seems to work for them.

In a way they are the Gibson of synthesizers in that regard.

Good comparison, but let's just hope that the One sells well or Moog may end up in the same boat as Gibson (filing "Chapter 11").  It's a grand endeavour and I imagine they've taken a big risk with it.  I've mentioned before my interest in Moog's instruments is limited, but I believe they need to continue to make outragous synths as they really do inspire the rest of the synth world with their efforts.  Not to mention it would sad to see all of Bob's work in bringing the company back to the glory of their early days go to waste.

LoboLives

« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »

Sorry to say, but I stand by my previous concern, that this synth is NOT worth 8k... at least in my opinion.

That's the thing about Moog kit though, it isn't worth the money compared to other manufacturers, they charge too much.

The upgrade to my Moog guitar for 13 pin midi was around $1500, this is a Ghost system, the same you can get in a similar quality Brian Moore guitar. The only difference is that with Brian moore you get the guitar thrown in for that price as well!

Moog charge over the odds because people will pay, it seems to work for them.

In a way they are the Gibson of synthesizers in that regard.

Good comparison, but let's just hope that the One sells well or Moog may end up in the same boat as Gibson (filing "Chapter 11").  It's a grand endeavour and I imagine they've taken a big risk with it.  I've mentioned before my interest in Moog's instruments is limited, but I believe they need to continue to make outragous synths as they really do inspire the rest of the synth world with their efforts.  Not to mention it would sad to see all of Bob's work in bringing the company back to the glory of their early days go to waste.

Well the Moog One selling well really depends on how many they plan on producing at a time, how many bugs there are, etc. Unfortunately with it being in a specific price bracket, there’s only going to be specific YouTube channels and limited number of videos showcasing the sounds of this synth. The catch is, the sounds represented might not impress or be the sounds that make people more inclined to part with thousands of dollars.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2018, 09:38:02 PM »
Well the Moog One selling well really depends on how many they plan on producing at a time, how many bugs there are, etc. Unfortunately with it being in a specific price bracket, there’s only going to be specific YouTube channels and limited number of videos showcasing the sounds of this synth. The catch is, the sounds represented might not impress or be the sounds that make people more inclined to part with thousands of dollars.

Ooh I forgot at such a price point, they'd be foolish to over-produce in anticipation.
In regards to potential owners, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd want to touch one before parting with 13,000aud even if I had to wait for my own upon deciding to purchase.  I remember pre-ordering a Microwave XTk and the frustration of the wait for that without even really knowing what it sounded like!  At least I knew what it was a descendant of and how it sounded.  And that was a different kettle of fish being 1/4 the cost of a Moog One, but thing I know will be in common is going into an instrument store with cash will bring that price down a few hundred, but maybe that couple of hundred will be needed to hire a security guard to accompany you from the bank to the store!
On a side note, I was invited to try out a Quantum on the day it hits the showroom.  That store learnt my number pretty quick, heheh.  Dunno how I consider the Quantum worth the 6,000aud being asked, but that's still 4k under the 8 voice Moog One.  Maybe a flow-one effect is that other maker's top-dollar synths will seem more attainable?  It certainly makes the Mother 32 seem like an absolute steal for acquiring the Moog sound, and when you look at it like that, the Mother 32 is about a 16th the price of the One (over here at least).  Hey, I just justified the price of the Moog One 16 voice!  Price discussion closed.  ;D ;)

jg666

« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »
I'm in the 'yes it looks and sounds nice but nothing I've seen/heard makes me want one' camp. To me it sounds just like every other Moog, albeit with a bigger polyphonic sound and great effects. Yes I do realise i'll probably get stick for saying this ;)

The user interface and depth of the synth does interest me though, I'd love to see a DSI synth like this :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

blewis

« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
I’m very impressed with the software on the Moog One. I love DSI’s Tempest/P12 OLED screen and interface; I think it’s fantastic.

But...

I am trying to imagine a Poly Pro-2 say with 2 Pro2 OSCs and 2 VCOs (or some mix of 3 oscillators). Then you have the Pro2 filter topology. Then you add some DSI effects. Basically you build up a synth that punches the feature list of the Moog One. You got 8 and 16 voice versions. Maybe bi-timbral instead of tri.

Now assume Sequential does what it does and makes it cost competitive. Where’s the software? Where’s the patch storage, the user spaces, the modulation profiles, the effects presets?

I know they can do it. I have lots of respect for the Sequential team. But man, that represents heaps of R&D for such a small team. And the Moog One UI is a quantum leap for Moog (they started below Sequential IMO)

Of course, it’s reasonable to say “all that pretty eye candy is just fluff and doesn’t matter”. I’d get that too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:02:44 AM by blewis »

LoboLives

« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
I think more people are interested in the fact this is pretty much a powerful computer built into an analog synth rather than the sound of the synth itself. Do we really need endless memory for patches? Do we really need endless modulation possibilities? I know I'm in the minority here but honestly if I wanted to have a screen that big and have the ability to organize sounds and see every single parameter...isn't that what a software editor is for? Yeah it's nice to have it all built in but is it really a necessity? Seems like it's more just a distraction to focus on rather than listening to the sounds of the synth. It seems to be everyone's focus. In almost all those live streams that Moog does there's probably less than 10% of the video with actual sound demonstration while the rest is talking about the screen and menus and how powerful the synth is. I don't care about that.  I want to hear and judge for myself. Even the demo at Vintage King Audio was kind of "meh".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:04:19 PM by LoboLives »

Gomjab

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
I think more people are interested in the fact this is pretty much a powerful computer built into an analog synth rather than the sound of the synth itself. Do we really need endless memory for patches? Do we really need endless modulation possibilities? I know I'm in the minority here but honestly if I wanted to have a screen that big and have the ability to organize sounds and see every single parameter...isn't that what a software editor is for? Yeah it's nice to have it all built in but is it really a necessity? Seems like it's more just a distraction to focus on rather than listening to the sounds of the synth. It seems to be everyone's focus. In almost all those live streams that Moog does there's probably less than 10% of the video with actual sound demonstration while the rest is talking about the screen and menus and how powerful the synth is. I don't care about that.  I want to hear and judge for myself. Even the demo at Vintage King Audio was kind of "meh".

I would agree with you Lobo about the screen if Moog sacrificed physical controls to add the screen.  I had the opportunity to see the One in person and it simply has the best designed user interface I’ve ever seen on a synthesizer.  You only need to go to that screen when you want to refine something.  The physical controls are primary and there is no deep menu diving when you get to those screens.  Like the Rev2 you can quickly assign modulation assignments by hitting one button and turning a knob.  Each of the synth sections have a more button if you want to dive deeper.

I am not under the illusion that the One will replace my other analog synths. My Rev2 and P12m aren’t going anywhere as I love them for what they are but Moog deserves a lot of credit for the UI and deep features.  One of the features revealed during the live streams was the voice allocation.  You can reserve a voice count for each of the 3 synths if you want to guarantee a specific number of voices (a feature I would have loved on my Rev2 to allocate 1 voice to one layer for bass or lead leaving 15 for other layer) But you can also define how to do voice steeling independly in each instance.  You can select steal oldest voice, newest voice, or quietest voice.  The envelopes are not only DAHDSR but each segment can be linear, exponential, or logarithmic. They can also be looping essentially becoming additional LFOs if desired.  Speaking of LFOs the 4 LFOs can be per voice or configured to be global.  The LFOs have the standard shapes but can also morph between shapes.

There are many little things that I find missing in other synths that they thought to include in the One.  Yes it is expensive but it doesn’t seem they left much out so it truly is a flagship. 

As for the demos Moog only formally launched the One last Monday.  It was obvious from the sound design live stream that they are still finalizing the presets.  I think they chose to concentrate last week on the internals. Unlike the Quantum that had a long time between the formal announcement and even the optimistic ship date, the One will go from pre-launch to being in the hands of users in under a month.  I would expect the floodgates to open late next week with all kinds of demos.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Moog has some more musical demos themselves this week.  It is obvious that they are looking at the forums and see people asking to hear different types of demos.

I for one am thrilled to see the likes of the Quantum, Prophet X, and One after a long drought of flagship synthesizers.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:33:00 PM by Gomjab »

LoboLives

« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2018, 09:38:25 PM »

I would agree with you Lobo about the screen if Moog sacrificed physical controls to add the screen.  I had the opportunity to see the One in person and it simply has the best designed user interface I’ve ever seen on a synthesizer.  You only need to go to that screen when you want to refine something.  The physical controls are primary and there is no deep menu diving when you get to those screens.  Like the Rev2 you can quickly assign modulation assignments by hitting one button and turning a knob.  Each of the synth sections have a more button if you want to dive deeper.

I am not under the illusion that the One will replace my other analog synths. My Rev2 and P12m aren’t going anywhere as I love them for what they are but Moog deserves a lot of credit for the UI and deep features.  One of the features revealed during the live streams was the voice allocation.  You can reserve a voice count for each of the 3 synths if you want to guarantee a specific number of voices (a feature I would have loved on my Rev2 to allocate 1 voice to one layer for bass or lead leaving 15 for other layer) But you can also define how to do voice steeling independly in each instance.  You can select steal oldest voice, newest voice, or quietest voice.  The envelopes are not only DAHDSR but each segment can be linear, exponential, or logarithmic. They can also be looping essentially becoming additional LFOs if desired.  Speaking of LFOs the 4 LFOs can be per voice or configured to be global.  The LFOs have the standard shapes but can also morph between shapes.

There are many little things that I find missing in other synths that they thought to include in the One.  Yes it is expensive but it doesn’t seem they left much out so it truly is a flagship. 

As for the demos Moog only formally launched the One last Monday.  It was obvious from the sound design live stream that they are still finalizing the presets.  I think they chose to concentrate last week on the internals. Unlike the Quantum that had a long time between the formal announcement and even the optimistic ship date, the One will go from pre-launch to being in the hands of users in under a month.  I would expect the floodgates to open late next week with all kinds of demos.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Moog has some more musical demos themselves this week.  It is obvious that they are looking at the forums and see people asking to hear different types of demos.

I for one am thrilled to see the likes of the Quantum, Prophet X, and One after a long drought of flagship synthesizers.

Well all I’m saying is I hope Sequential doesn’t start putting large screens on their synths. I honestly think it’s totally unceassary, especially with external editors.

ddp

« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2018, 08:50:28 PM »
What can I say?  The more I read about this, the more I want one.  I'm sorry, Subsequent, it's not you, it's me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:10:33 PM by ddp »
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

ddp

« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »
I ordered one, it's going to be a lot of fun.  I'm going to have to upgrade the Prophet X too, lovely.  Horrible choices.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2018, 03:08:21 AM »
I’ve been looking into getting one too, probably by selling my Subsequent, a bass, paying a big deposit up front and paying off the rest over 10 months. I might just manage it.

jg666

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2018, 05:06:53 AM »
Having watched a few more in-depth videos about this synth, I've changed my mind about it :) If I had the money, I would like one of these!
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »
Well all I’m saying is I hope Sequential doesn’t start putting large screens on their synths. I honestly think it’s totally unceassary, especially with external editors.

On one hand, I agree that bright color touchscreens can be a distraction; on the other hand, the ability to go deep without requiring an external computer or iPad is definitely welcomed.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2018, 11:10:50 PM »

On one hand, I agree that bright color touchscreens can be a distraction; on the other hand, the ability to go deep without requiring an external computer or iPad is definitely welcomed.

Honestly for me it just comes down to the type of synthesis being implemented. If a multitrack sequencer is on board and things of that nature but I fail to see what a large touchscreen can show what a standard OLED can’t for analog synthesis. Even the multiple OLEDs on the PX are fine and multiple mini displays on the Solaris are fantastic. On something like the Quantum, I understand a large touchscreen because you are drawing your own waves and such but on an analog synth? Nah.

« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2018, 11:57:06 PM »

The problem with large screens is that it ages a device very quickly as new technology comes out. Looking at and interacting with the screen on my Akai MPC Live which I got not that long ago makes you realize how spoiled we are with the development of screens and user interfaces. It feels already dated.

« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2018, 06:35:26 AM »
I tried the moog one just now! Its amazing!! Really!! One thing i noticed about it is the attention to detail. Almost everything can be synced, lfos, delays, envelope repeats. Its easy to navigate, although different from how sequential synths navigate. The layers, and how you can edit 3 or 2 layers at once in any combination. Assigning key zones wherever you want. Jeez, this beast is....a beast. And also the sound obviously! Routing individual oscs to any filter as you please. Dedicated noise module with envelope! WHAT?!

The store representative who showed off the instrument and let us play told me that they are in close contact with moog. I live in norway, and the guy told me that moog are waiting with larger shipments overseas because there might be more hardware changes to be made, and they want to reduce potential costs on that by waiting a until like february. Thats why the moog one is shipping in the us first.

The circuits in the moog one are aparently remotely controlled by the digital engine in the middle.(dont know how this works, but thats what he said). He alsosaid that because of this, its easier to make software adjustments that affect the circuits, so i think we can expect allot of updates for this instrument.

The moog one also has an ethernet connection. The guy i spoke to said that this could be used for support to diagnose potential malfunctions in the synth. So instead of sending the instrument for repair, this could happen via the internett. If the malfunction is not mechanical obviously! I think this sounds GENIOUS!

My hat is off moog! My hat is off <3

Re: Moog One Mini
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »
Don't need more keys but would like to have for the sound and functionality it offers.  If Moog could consider a desktop version. This is bad graphics made in 5 minutes but hope you the point. Instead of separate OSC, filter/ Env one section of each  with a selectors switch. More portable, lighter and less fear and weight to carry around.  Probably not everyone's cup of tea. but well. Knobs could be reduced a little bit in size as well. Host USB would be nice and polyphonic after-touch support via MIDI/USB (the keys are gone, so that should help). if they could add RTP-MIDI (ethernet) and remote update/patch saving via Ethernet and a Web-MIDI interface as well, the network connector is right there. ("Moog One Mini")

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:49:27 AM by musicmaker »

ddp

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »
Sweetwater called today to say my Moog One was finally shipping!

ddp

« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
Day two; day one was spent trying to make room for the Moog One, it's physically big, and deep.  Around 3:30am, I realized that I should go to bed.  I was thinking about the Model D or Subsequent above the Moog One, but I don't see the point, the Moog One is that good.  I also don't see the point of keeping the Prophet 6 or the Prophet X, so I packed them up as well.  I'm moving the Minimoog and Subsequent to another room, dubbed the synthesizer annex.   The Subsequent was upgraded from a Sub37 and the Model D is one of the last made, I doubt I will part with either of them.

The Prophet X is a fantastic synth, but the Moog One is more my style.  I'm a software engineer by day, and the Moog is more like assembly language, whereas the Prophet X is like a higher level language, apologies for the obscure mixed metaphor.

It's not a fair comparison.  The Moog One is twice the cost of the Prophet X and I suspect Sequential could produce the same quality of synth if they thought they could sell at that price point.  They're both two of the best synths on the market.

blewis

« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »
The Prophet X is a fantastic synth, but the Moog One is more my style.  I'm a software engineer by day, and the Moog is more like assembly language, whereas the Prophet X is like a higher level language, apologies for the obscure mixed metaphor.

Did you reverse those? You prefer assembly?

My favorite computer joke:

There are 2 hard problems in computers:
1) naming things
2) caching things
3) off by one errors