Moog One

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Moog One
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2018, 05:43:23 AM »
I've listened to the official demo's on Soundcloud today... and even if I know from my own experience, that you should never judge a synth on factory sounds, then those demos does NO JUSTICE to this synth, if it's really 8k worth... really... and I mean that... I heard nothing in those demos that I felt sounded "better" for what I use my REV2 for to be honest, even the FX did not impress me which is kind of strange considering it's Eventide FX.

Sorry to say, but I stand by my previous concern, that this synth is NOT worth 8k... at least in my opinion... I'd definitely have to hear better demos of it to change that opinion... i will agree that it may have an advantage in the sound character, but this is only if you really are after the "MOOG Sound", which in my opinion does NOT tell anything about being "the best sound"... just DIFFERENT sound.

Don't get me wrong, I like MOOG products, I've had quite a few of the lower range devices myself over the years, but 8k!? ... divide this amount by 3 and we might be at a more logical price in my opinion. With the Prophet X and Quantum out in this price range (the divided by 3 that is), the MOOG One will surely be a hard sell to many who just want a 8-16 voice hybrid/analog synth with good engine depth... I mean... who would want to get a ONE, if they can get both Prophet X, Quantum and a third synth in that price range for the same price as one ONE?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:46:42 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2018, 06:10:48 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I like MOOG products, I've had quite a few of the lower range devices myself over the years, but 8k!? ... divide this amount by 3 and we might be at a more logical price in my opinion. With the Prophet X and Quantum out in this price range (the divided by 3 that is), the MOOG One will surely be a hard sell to many who just want a 8-16 voice hybrid/analog synth with good engine depth... I mean... who would want to get a ONE, if they can get both Prophet X, Quantum and a third synth in that price range for the same price as one ONE?

I'm happy to send you a check immediately if you're able to build a One for about $2,666.

Shaw

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2018, 06:14:06 AM »

I'm happy to send you a check immediately if you're able to build a One for about $2,666.
My check is ready too... you can go into mass production!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2018, 07:37:50 AM »
The build price is not the question here actually... I'm not questioning if it cost that much to produce at all, I'm questioning how much it can do and how it sounds, compared to OTHER DEVICES costing about a third of that, and I'll stick to my opinion on that... for me, it's not worth 8k as things stand right now :) ... the big question is then, how many other people will think the same, because that is the ultimate end-goal for MOOG i would guess... no matter how much it cost to produce, if they do not sell enough units because of the steep price, then what is it worth to them?

But allright... with that price, I would suspect that they do not need that many customers to "weigh it out" :D ... with that price they can afford to loose two out of three customers I guess :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:41:43 AM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
The build price is not the question here actually... I'm not questioning if it cost that much to produce at all, I'm questioning how much it can do and how it sounds, compared to OTHER DEVICES costing about a third of that, and I'll stick to my opinion on that... for me, it's not worth 8k as things stand right now :) ... the big question is then, how many other people will think the same, because that is the ultimate end-goal for MOOG i would guess... no matter how much it cost to produce, if they do not sell enough units because of the steep price, then what is it worth to them?

But allright... with that price, I would suspect that they do not need that many customers to "weigh it out" :D ... with that price they can afford to loose two out of three customers I guess :D
I agree.  For the price, a Rev2 16V and a Rev2 16V module would kill it.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2018, 08:33:01 AM »
Just listening to the 20 minute video now, it does not blow me away.
Hopefully I can try one for real sometime (probably not in TLV though...).

This instrument maybe requires a different type of playing/sound design?

1) Not your typical 2-bass plus 3 chord, but maybe interesting 2-note combinations (i.e. less polyphony but fatter sound of individual notes???).

2) Pushing the effects more to the extreme???.

Don't know.

Let's hope that we have not discovered the true potential yet!

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
There are demos on SoundCloud as well:

https://soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/sets/moog-one

It's still early days, though. Sweetwater's Daniel Fisher will do a demo later. And Amos Gaynes from Moog will also do a live demo at 12:30PM Asheville local time.

blewis

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
I get the need for hyperbole, but neither the Prophet X nor the Quantum are $8k/3. Why even write that? Makes it sound like a rant.

Okay fine, they are about 1/2. Neither have any VCOs either.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
Sounds incredible to me & would no doubt sound even better in person. I'm sure a lot folks who can't afford that kind of expenditure will want to write this off. It's out of my league, but I'm not the kind to dismiss the unattainable. 

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2018, 12:11:54 PM »
I get the need for hyperbole, but neither the Prophet X nor the Quantum are $8k/3. Why even write that? Makes it sound like a rant.

Okay fine, they are about 1/2. Neither have any VCOs either.

I initially wrote ALMOST a division by three... but you're right, it's a little more than twice the price of an X or Quantum... anyway, and still... you could get both the X and Quantum for less than one ONE... and you'd have much more versatility and probably just as much depth... you'd have sampling, VA, wavetable, granular, FM... the ONE will only give you analog oscillators and NONE of the digital features... I still stand by my opinion here... the MOOG does not offer anything special these other two machines do not, except for the "MOOG sound"... and that's unfortunately not enough to impress me :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:21:07 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »
Sounds incredible to me & would no doubt sound even better in person. I'm sure a lot folks who can't afford that kind of expenditure will want to write this off. It's out of my league, but I'm not the kind to dismiss the unattainable.

Why do people always think, that when we write something off, it's because we do not have the money? ... yes it IS expensive, and would take some time to save up for (in my case), but it's certainly not because i cannot afford it in time... but I sure as heck would buy both an X and Quantum before sheding this kind of money for a synth with these specs... I'm not sure I'd even ever reach a point where i had that kind of money no matter how long I saved up because at next NAMM show, there will probably be something else that would reach my interrest before the ONE... and I would probably always feel that way every year new gear is out...

Still... don't get me wrong, I like MOOG, and I'm only presenting my own personal feelings about this ONE... if anyone think this is the bomb, and would want to shed that kind of money, i'd not even say that those people were stupid... it's their choice of course what kicks their GAS...

I'm just not impressed.... yet... I need to see what this expensive piece of kit can give me, that a REV2 + Prophet X and Prophet 12 cannot... sure it will give me something only the ONE can do, but is it enough to warrant an 8k investment? ... it will have to show me better what's so special about it, other than the MOOG logo and discrete oscillators :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:23:05 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
by the way... i do not know why I initially calculated the price as three times an X... i see now that it's more likely twice the price, and then a little more than that... that makes more sense as a MOOG top model... the initial three times an X simply just made me drop my jaw... I know that MOOG synths are always quite expensive, especially for the features they provide to the user which is usually much less than any DSI/SCI or Waldorf gear in the same price range... I'm not fully familiar with the ONE specs yet, but if I'm right, it's specs would probably compare (to me at least) to a Quantum or Prophet X in complexity and flexibility (though not exactly the same of course)... which is why I have a hard time taking it serious as it cost about the double... in fact it could be better compared to a REV2 which is also a real analog synth with 16 voices, and that is even cheaper in comparison... I'm sure that compared to a REV2 it would probably kick the REV2's ass... but if comparing prices... well... not really...

Maybe it's silly to compare it to anything when it comes down to it... it's probably going to be unique in it's own right... the question is maybe more, if it's worth it's cost, and I think that must be down to personal opinion... no one is right or wrong in this regard...

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »
Amos Gaynes and Daniel Fisher have given a first glimpse of the specs:

https://youtu.be/QV9AO2t67H8?t=2070

https://youtu.be/ZQK2YiB1kjQ?t=140

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2018, 01:24:13 PM »
Again, it’s like three synths in one and costs approximately a grand less than three OB-6s. You’re getting REV2 level modulation and much better effects. It’s also like getting both the P6 and OB-6 because you’re getting two different filters that are comparable to those. You’re getting better keys too with the TP/8S. Plus the wood and build is tops. If anything it’s a good deal compared to DSI/Sequential’s VCO offerings.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
Amos Gaynes and Daniel Fisher have given a first glimpse of the specs:

https://youtu.be/QV9AO2t67H8?t=2070

https://youtu.be/ZQK2YiB1kjQ?t=140

Alright... I found one point for the ONE... the dual filter options of having both a Ladder and State Variable filter with options to route different sources to one or the other or both is something I'd like to have in an analog synth... I often miss a state variable filter on the REV2 as a per voice option :)

Another point is for the added parameters of the oscilltors giving that many more raw timbral options, as this is usually the biggest problem with analog synths; they do not have enough variety in the oscillators before the filters in most cases... so another point for that :)

I actually think after seeing Amos showcase it a bit, that I could be tempted at some point... I'm just afraid that other options will come along before I ever have saved up the money for this thing... I'd have to save up for at least one year, and I need a Prophet X before this thing for sure, as I need sample usage more than yet another analog synth to be honest.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
Again, it’s like three synths in one and costs approximately a grand less than three OB-6s. You’re getting REV2 level modulation and much better effects. It’s also like getting both the P6 and OB-6 because you’re getting two different filters that are comparable to those. You’re getting better keys too with the TP/8S. Plus the wood and build is tops. If anything it’s a good deal compared to DSI/Sequential’s VCO offerings.

I'm not questioning if this is a superb synth, and that it does all those things... what I'm putting it up against is if it will add something to my current palette of options that I'd get with a REV2, P12 and X... would I miss out on something incredible possibilities by not having a ONE in this case? ... in my case I do not think so... I'd be able to create just as good Ambient music with these three as with a ONE... I'd actually have less options if I had just the ONE and none of the other ones.

But seeing the Amos presentation, i surely can feel the GAS poking at me... but it's not because I NEED it to do what I want... but hey... you could do music with a single mono synth if you wanted to. I would maybe buy one at some point after seeing Amos presentation... it will be quite some time before it happens though :)

LoboLives

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »
It sounds really nice but I do agree with Raz that as far as the sound goes, as massive as it sounds, there are a lot of more economical 16 voice alternatives for analog polysynths such as the Prologue (Which also has a digital oscillator with wavetable and FM capabilities) and REV2. There are also a lot more versatile synths that cost less than this, Prophet X, Quantum, Modal 002, John Bowen Solaris. I'd go as so far to say even comparing something like the Moog One to the Alesis Andromeda, the Moog One pales in comparison.

That being said. The sound is phenomenal. I've been listening to Daniel Fisher's presentation of it and it does have a really rich and warm sound to it. As nice as it is though, I'm not sure I'd pick one up. It's absolutely justified in it's price considering the work put into this thing but right now unless Sequential comes with another VCO based Poly (especially if it's a double keyboard like the Prophet 10) then currently I'm all about FM, Wavetable, Sampling type tones.

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
It sounds really nice but I do agree with Raz that as far as the sound goes, as massive as it sounds, there are a lot of more economical 16 voice alternatives for analog polysynths such as the Prologue (Which also has a digital oscillator with wavetable and FM capabilities) and REV2.

The Prologue is said to have massive tuning issues and would not even be comparable without them.

There are also a lot more versatile synths that cost less than this, Prophet X, Quantum, Modal 002, John Bowen Solaris. I'd go as so far to say even comparing something like the Moog One to the Alesis Andromeda, the Moog One pales in comparison.

Apples and oranges. The One is an analog poly synth with a digital control platform that is up there with the most sophisticated digital or hybrid synths. If anything it's rather like a VCO synth version of the P12 + one more layer + more mod slots per layer + effects + one 64 step sequencer with up to 16 mod destinations per layer (or more?—I forgot) + vocoder, etc.

LoboLives

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2018, 03:04:00 PM »
It sounds really nice but I do agree with Raz that as far as the sound goes, as massive as it sounds, there are a lot of more economical 16 voice alternatives for analog polysynths such as the Prologue (Which also has a digital oscillator with wavetable and FM capabilities) and REV2.

The Prologue is said to have massive tuning issues and would not even be comparable without them.

There are also a lot more versatile synths that cost less than this, Prophet X, Quantum, Modal 002, John Bowen Solaris. I'd go as so far to say even comparing something like the Moog One to the Alesis Andromeda, the Moog One pales in comparison.

Apples and oranges. The One is an analog poly synth with a digital control platform that is up there with the most sophisticated digital or hybrid synths. If anything it's rather like a VCO synth version of the P12 + one more layer + more mod slots per layer + effects + one 64 step sequencer with up to 16 mod destinations per layer (or more?—I forgot) + vocoder, etc.

Oh for sure it's powerful on paper but I'm not hearing anything unique in any of it's demos.

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
Oh for sure it's powerful on paper but I'm not hearing anything unique in any of it's demos.

That's of course always a matter of taste. I just wanted to point out that this was obviously a massive undertaking for Moog which clearly shows in the overall design and sets it apart from what we've seen so far.

I found the 3rd live stream quite impressive. It also gives a good insight in how the interaction via the display works:

https://youtu.be/zbfSxOqYJL4?t=1448