Moog One

Re: Moog One
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 08:27:35 AM »
I'll be in the minority on this one but man I can't believe how uninspired that synth is. It is almost knob for knob to the Quantum.

Well, Axel Hartmann has been involved in the design of both, but I fail to see how the One is similar to the Quantum. It's an obvious nod to the Memory Moog. It's also objectively not uninspired, as it contains a couple of new developments like the VCOs that are capable of more complex waveforms and 3 loopable DAHDSR EGs with variable curves.

LoboLives

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 08:31:00 AM »
I'll be in the minority on this one but man I can't believe how uninspired that synth is. It is almost knob for knob to the Quantum.

Well, Axel Hartmann has been involved in the design of both, but I fail to see how the One is similar to the Quantum. It's an obvious nod to the Memory Moog. It's also objectively not uninspired, as it contains a couple of new developments like the VCOs that are capable of more complex waveforms and 3 loopable DAHDSR EGs with variable curves.

Yeah I guess you are right. The first thing I thought of when I saw the screen in the middle of a knobby synth is the Quantum.

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »
I can't find any info if the 8/16 is even upgradable or if it's a case of the Prologue's "one or the other" type approach.

On sweetwater it says 8 voices stereo/16 voices mono.

LoboLives

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 08:41:30 AM »
I can't find any info on if the polyphony is upgradable or if it's a case like the Prologue's "One or the other" type approach.

On Sweetwater it says 8 voices stereo/16 voices mono....wait what? I'm confused.

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 08:41:58 AM »
The Moog site isn't even officially ready yet, so there will probably be an official announcement later today alongside a video and/or more.

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
Here's a good read for bypassing the waiting time:

LoboLives

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2018, 08:52:25 AM »
Still cheaper than a Schmidt or even a CS-80.

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
Here's a good read for bypassing the waiting time:

see magazine cover above

...stop describing me accurately.   :'(
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
I wonder if this will be at the Moog stand at the UK Synthfest this Saturday.

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
I can't find any info on if the polyphony is upgradable or if it's a case like the Prologue's "One or the other" type approach.

On Sweetwater it says 8 voices stereo/16 voices mono....wait what? I'm confused.

My Sweetwater rep called me excitedly this afternoon suggesting a newly released polysynth might solve my recent searching for a beefy multitimbral controller with aftertouch.  His excitement was infectious as he described how he got sounds out of it ranging from Oberheim, Roland, and yes, the Prophets.  I had heard of rumors of a polyphonic Moog, but I dismissed them because it's been years of wishing.  He prepared me for the sticker shock, but I'm foolishly thinking how I could finance it.

He mentioned an SSI filter, at which point I actually audibly gasped.  This could explain the 8 voice stereo / 16 voice mono setup, similar to how the Prophet X is setup with its SSI filter.  He didn't mention anything about stereo or mono though, I'll have to ask him about that.  He also said that theoretically Moog could upgrade an 8 voice to a 16 voice, but you'd have to ship it to Moog and it would take a couple weeks.

When I got home, I took inventory of how much I would get for gear I could sell.  I was surprised to find I could easily afford the 16 voice.

Andromeda around $3k
Rev2 for $2k
$2k for MIDI controllers and stands
$1.5k for a couple bass guitars
$1k for an XR18 and a subwoofer
$1k in various TC multiFX units
Matrix1000, Slim Phatty, Boog D
BCF, BCR, Micron, Minitaur

I imagine others will also look at what they can sell.  If you look at it, almost all of the pieces I can sell were simply attempts at achieving the real deal of a beefy, multitimbral polysynth with aftertouch.

I could get rid of the pieces and streamline it all to a giggable Kronos + Integra for bread and butter rompler sounds, a Privia PX5S for piano action and zones, and a Moog One for all that vintage bass, lead, brass, pad, etc.  Goodbye emulations, assorted boxy devices, and the spaghetti hassles of audio MIDI and power cords and warts and stands and controllers.  Hello powerful, flexible, immediate, and reliable simplicity.

Guess I'd still need a multitimbral Blofeld for the wave tables and digital counterpoint.  A Quantum Moog One combo is a bit overkill, right?
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

LoboLives

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »
I heard it's only Tri-Timbral meaning three sounds instead of something like the Andromeda with 16 different sounds at once.

If it's an upgradable option then for sure I'd be interested in the 8....hell 8 might be all I'll need.

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 02:06:49 AM »
It's tritimbral.  First time I ever said that word was yesterday speaking with my Sweetwater rep.  The Rev2 I have from them 3 weeks ago is with their 2 year no interest plan, but I maxed that at 2k.

My Andromeda isn't reliable enough to use for daily inspiration, takes an hour or so before it settles.  But having 16 way multitimbrality is very nice.  I programmed a few multis with splits across 2 keyboards and really dug that.  Damn, now I'm having 2nd thoughts about selling it.

I'm thinking a Moog One with 8 voices should be enough since I would use it mostly live.  My Minitaur with only 2 OSCs holds it own, so 1 Moog One voice for left hand bass is more than sufficient.

If the top voices are overpowering, I could "thin" them out by only using 2 or even 1 oscillator, and add depth back in with subtle waveshape modulation, slow vibrato, and chorus before it hits that Eventide shimmer. 

Hmm. Since the Moog One has multiple audio inputs, I wonder if I could apply Eventide reverbs to my other boards?  One reverb to rule them all! 

Back to the vintage future with Moog phatness layered with DX7 FM tones (via my Kronos) and PPG wavetables (via a Blofeld).  Gnarly, dude.

That combo would definitely outdo a Virus TI2, which I was just auditioning at Sam Ash for $3k, and which I was not impressed with.  Sad.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:15:14 AM by psionic11 »
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »
The $6000 to $8000 price tag seems "reasonable" considering that it is a polyphonic Moog, the premium brand in electronic music instruments. If they can sell Minimoogs for $3500 there will be no problem to churn out polysynths for about twice that price. Battered old Memorymoogs have been selling for more. Potential buyers will probably be put on waiting lists to get hold of one One. 

Gomjab

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2018, 08:18:36 AM »
I can't find any info if the 8/16 is even upgradable or if it's a case of the Prologue's "one or the other" type approach.

On sweetwater it says 8 voices stereo/16 voices mono.
I was fortunate enough to get a sneak peek at the One at Sweetwater’s GearFest in June.  My first question to Moog was if there would be an option to upgrade the 8 voice to 16 down the road.  The answer back in June was “no” which was disappointing as $8,000 is a bitter pill to swallow in one sitting.  I opted for the 16 voice Rev2 out of the gate because I knew I wanted the polyphony so figured I would save money in the long run by buying the 16.  But coming up with $1800 was a lot easier than $8000!

Maybe down the road they will offer the option.  And I guess as previously stated sending it back to Moog which I guess could involve a complete swap of innards. The only photos of the inside that leaked were just the circuit boards for the user interface (knobs, switches, and screens).  Until we see the layout internally to see if there are swappable voice boards we won’t know how involved or even possible an upgrade would be.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:23:59 AM by Gomjab »

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »
If you look at it, almost all of the pieces I can sell were simply attempts at achieving the real deal of a beefy, multitimbral polysynth with aftertouch.
Have you considered the Modal 002? Especially used, you can get them for ~$3K-4K, and it's 12-part multitimbral, and gets both digital and analog waveforms through a very nice custom state-variable filter. It has a Fatar keybed with aftertouch.

It's got some limitations, but as far as doing bass, lead, brass, and pad sounds, it does all those quite well and lets you map stuff all over the keyboard.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
To tell you the truth I hadn't done any research into the various boutique polysynths.  The Modal 002 looks pretty impressive and flexible.  However, and I'll admit this is a bit rash, but I've decided to go ahead and order a 16 voice Moog One.  Sweetwater has been good to me, and I trust them and Moog for quality service.  And tbh, I am after vintage 80s sounds, and when Ben told me excitedly over the phone, out of his own accord, that he was coaxing from it a range of sounds like Rolands and Oberheims, I was sold. 

And to clear up some misinformation, Ben has been told personally by Moog that they won't offer the voice upgrade path, due to the size and expense of shipping, and the upgrade is not something a user could do.

LoboLives

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
To tell you the truth I hadn't done any research into the various boutique polysynths.  The Modal 002 looks pretty impressive and flexible.  However, and I'll admit this is a bit rash, but I've decided to go ahead and order a 16 voice Moog One.  Sweetwater has been good to me, and I trust them and Moog for quality service.  And tbh, I am after vintage 80s sounds, and when Ben told me excitedly over the phone, out of his own accord, that he was coaxing from it a range of sounds like Rolands and Oberheims, I was sold. 

And to clear up some misinformation, Ben has been told personally by Moog that they won't offer the voice upgrade path, due to the size and expense of shipping, and the upgrade is not something a user could do.

Congrats!! Personally like I said I may go for the 8 voice model cause I don't think I'll need the 16 voices but even still I wish Moog include a way to "divide down" the voices so they could be played across the keyboard much like how the original Polymoog did.

Actually that brings me to another topic. Is there a way an analog synth can switch between being polyphonic and paraphonic or is there something that prevents it from switching between the two?

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2018, 08:00:16 AM »
Moog's front page is running a special on the history of their polyphonic models.  The Apollo Polymoog allowed users to alter presets and these were fully polyphonic.  However, the user area where you could edit all parameters was only paraphonic.  The VCF could not be individually retriggered per voice.

Seems to me this was a hardwired limitation.  I'm not sure how modern paraphonics work -- whether it's hardwired, reroutable via digital magic, or some combination of both.  Hopefully when Moog releaseses the manual for the One we'll get more answers.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
I see folks complaining about the price, but considering you're getting three synths in one, it's really not that bad. If you bought three P6s or OB-6s you'd be spending upwards of nine grand and aside from having two more voices, you'd not even remotely get the functionality the One has. Plus it has Eventide effects and the top of the line TP/8S keys. I would certainly buy the 16 voice if I had that kind of expendable cash.

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »
All spec and prices here...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MoogOne8--moog-one-8-voice-analog-synthesizer

I'd LOVE to own this, looks like a colossus to me.
Nice to see that it isn't only Dave Smith/Sequential making aspirational polyphonic analogue synths.

Can't afford it, but it's on my wish list. :)