Moog One

Re: Moog One
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2018, 03:36:27 AM »
If the price is going to be 4-8K it will be impossible for the general user to get their hands on it... though, I would not doubt that this would be the end price somehow... the 4K may be what some users might be able to pay, so I hope, that MOOG choose to make the 8 voice upgradeable with an add on card... like with the REV2... that would allow for users to split the cost over a longer period of time, but still get their hands on the device and use it.

The rumors are more about $6-8k, not $4k.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 04:20:06 AM »
So if one takes a closer look at the alleged front panel PCBs (attached below in higher res), one can definitely identify the following:

• 4 LFOs
  • 3 oscillators with dedicated OLED displays and controllers for frequency, beat, triangle, and pulse width, mod destinations, FM, ring mod, and hard sync
  • selectable noise colors
  • an arpeggiator (with octave, direction, and pattern buttons) and sequencer section (with note trigger, key transpose, and all synths buttons—the latter indicating multi-timbrality)
  • chord on, hold, mono, and unison buttons, the latter of which definitely indicate polyphony
  • a large centered display (probably the one Amos Gaynes and Geert Bevin talked about in their JUCE presentation) with the equivalent of DSI's soft keys and soft knobs above and below, and a few more navigation buttons
  • 3 envelope generators to the right (the 3 rows of pots an buttons) that seem to be based on the Sub series as far as controls go (DAHDSR envelopes with multi-trigger, reset, looping, MIDI sync, latch, and individual control of delay, hold, velocity amount, and keyboard tracking)

As the rightmost PCB is too blurry, one can't really decipher anything related to the filter section.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:25:03 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
I know I’m in the minority here but this whole 8/16 voice options is getting a bit redundant. I’d rather see a company just stick with a number of voices for a synth and call it a day OR if if they are doing polyphony options go big or go home...10/20 voice options.

Also if this isn’t multitimbral then it’s a bit ridiculous. Isn’t the Baloran River a multitimbral Analog and less expensive than this?

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
Also if this isn’t multitimbral then it’s a bit ridiculous. Isn’t the Baloran River a multitimbral Analog and less expensive than this?

Well, according to the rumors and the PCB there's going to be multi-timbrality. So this might be the analog workstation you've been asking for.

LoboLives

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »

Well, according to the rumors and the PCB there's going to be multi-timbrality. So this might be the analog workstation you've been asking for.

We will just have to wait and see if this is all just hot air.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 01:49:06 AM »
4K$ seems pretty "cheap" for a 8 voice Moog, how much where the voyagers in the States?

blewis

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 11:05:46 AM »
The rumor has it at $6k for 8 voices and $8k for 16.

Voyagers were about $3200-3500 new. I got mine for $2k when everyone sold them for the Model D.

blewis

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
I posted this over on GS, but the Moog One thread there is locked because it descended into politics (its now impossible to say Moog over there without saying Behringer all over the thread).

But I think my comment there might be interesting to people hanging out here:

“Yes, there is a lack of restraint or an apparent attempt to make “one synth to rule them all”. It’s simultaneously worrying and mesmerizing.

Last night, because of the rumored filter specs, the enevelopes, the 4 LFOs, and the sequencer, I was thinking of this as an polyphonic analog VCO Pro-2. Then I got to thinking about the $1750 I spent on the Pro-2. If I estimated $1000 for the chassis, front panel, screen, knobs, keybed, and power - that leaves an estimate of $750 per voice. Well $1000 + ($750 * 8 ) = $7000! So $6k doesn’t sound as outrageous from that measure. Very expensive, but comparable. ”

LoboLives

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »
Still cheaper than a CS80.

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »
The rumor has it at $6k for 8 voices and $8k for 16.

Voyagers were about $3200-3500 new. I got mine for $2k when everyone sold them for the Model D.

Ah, 6k sounds more "reasonable"

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 04:32:43 AM »

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2018, 06:02:29 AM »
Fascinating specs, but I want a bit more detail about the modulation matrix and to hear the oscillators and filters before I plunk down that kinda money.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 06:40:22 AM »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 07:06:06 AM »
This piece of kit will only interest those with a lot of money... 8000k is simply insane... even if I had the money I'd not use that much on it, no matter how good it was, that's a 100% certainty...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »
It's certainly not meant to be a mass market product, rather one for the few, not the many. But everyone who was asking for a no compromise multitimbral analog super polysynth with Eventide effects is covered with this I guess. They certainly didn't save on the hardware side of things. Of course it'll be interesting to know details about its mod matrix and its sonic capabilities.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:21:56 AM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 07:23:57 AM »
Well, it's certainly not meant to be a mass market product, rather ONE for the few, not the many. But everyone who was asking for a no compromise multitimbral analog super polysynth with Eventide effects is covered with this.

Sure... but I doubt they'll be making much better music compared to a 2-3k synth with it anyway... you are simply paying for a bit more quality costing about the same... 2-3k... the FX part is really not that big a deal in my point of view anymore... external FX can do the trick, and plugins are getting much much better... there is a reason we're not seeing many hardware FX boxes made anymore from TC/Lexicon etc...

I think it's simply wrong to say, that you'd be making "something better" just because you spend that much on a MOOG... you may be able to do stuff that sounds "different" to anything else, but the old discussion about what "sounds best" is really silly these days... you could make just as good music with a simple one-voice synth if you recorded it right... the term "better" does not apply anymore in my point of view... it's much more important what brain is using the gear they have...

But sure... those who has the money, and feel they need this to be productive... all the power to them :) (and their wallet he he)...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »
Sure... but I doubt they'll be making much better music compared to a 2-3k synth with it anyway...

Certainly not, yes.

you are simply paying for a bit more quality costing about the same... 2-3k... the FX part is really not that big a deal in my point of view anymore... external FX can do the trick, and plugins are getting much much better... there is a reason we're not seeing many hardware FX boxes made anymore from TC/Lexicon etc...

I agree insofar as I personally don't care much about internal effects either with the exception of how the delays have been implemented in the Evolvers and the P12/P2. They're mostly practical for live purposes. Other than that, what effects one prefers is a highly subjective thing.

I think it's simply wrong to say, that you'd be making "something better" just because you spend that much on a MOOG... you may be able to do stuff that sounds "different" to anything else, but the old discussion about what "sounds best" is really silly these days... you could make just as good music with a simple one-voice synth if you recorded it right... the term "better" does not apply anymore in my point of view... it's much more important what brain is using the gear they have...

Definitely. Nevertheless, I find some of the already known features interesting, not least because we haven't seen an analog polysynth with a ring modulator in a while. And not many come with 2 different filters either, let alone complex EGs with adjustable curves per stage to name just a few examples.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
Jeepers, I'd love to incorporate a bit of the Moog sound into my own overall sound, but the company certainly isn't making it easy.  It's a bit of a leap from a Subsequent 37 to a One, isn't it?  That Voyager/Minimoog slot needs a permanent occupant.  Moog's synthesizers are either too small or far too expensive.

The Moog One is the magnificent sort of synthesizer that you sell all your other instruments in order to finance.  That's about the size of it for many of us.  Oh well....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:09:01 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »
I'll be in the minority on this one but man I can't believe how uninspired that synth is. It is almost knob for knob to the Quantum.

Also I'm a bit over the 8 voice/16 voice version gimmick unless they are going to make them upgradable like the REV2 and even still...why not just go 10/20 at that price point?

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 08:27:20 AM »
One thing that has me more intrigued as I think about it is the built-in effects. If aspects of them appear as modulation destinations, it can make them integrated into the sound and more than the sum of their parts. The DeepMind 12 has that quality--without the effects, it's just a nice (YMMV) Juno-106 revision. But with them and all the modulation you can do, it makes it a much deeper synth...even if I wish for a saw on the second oscillator rather a lot.

OTOH, I can buy a Modal 008 with effects and an H9 Max for less than this.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!