Moog One

Moog One
« on: June 28, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »

Shaw

Re: Moog One
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »
Can’t wait for photos!

Ha!  I meant photos of the final product...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:26:52 PM »
I think this will be virtual analog though.

And “Moog’s first poly synth?” Huh?

ddp

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »
I hope I want one!  :-)
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:51:29 PM »
$6k to $8k

Unrestricted number of presets....

Built in Eventide Effects...

I think this is all a big nothingburger.

dsetto

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 01:49:58 AM »
Years ago I was given a hint my curiosity for a polyphonic Moog would be addressed sooner or later. Recently, I wrote that off figuring the increase of polys changed things. If this does come to fruition the landscape gets even richer.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 03:56:14 AM »
I will be curious how it will sound. I own a Minimoog and multi-tracking the individual voices in a recording does not always sound great. Too much raw power in the oscillator somehow. A high quality digital reverb makes total sense. I always add one at the back of my dry analogue synths.

If Moog makes it happen, it could be a "do-it-all" synth, encouraging people to ditch other gear (to recoup $$$), and master just one instrument like a guitar player or pianist would do.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 04:02:19 AM »
I'm more curious about the price... I bet it will place itself up amongst Prophet X and Quantum ;)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 04:07:40 AM »

Doesn't look like it: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160335998A1/

You can also spot parameters for wave variation, ring mod, and FM on the PCB.

$6k to $8k

I'm a bit skeptical about the Eventide collaboration too, but the prices look very realistic to me. Furthermore, the PCBs show a center display, which might be exactly the one Amos Gaynes and Geert Bevin talked about in their JUCE presentation last year.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 04:14:45 AM »
I'm more curious about the price... I bet it will place itself up amongst Prophet X and Quantum ;)

Rather twice as much. I think the rumored price of $6k for the 8-voice version and $8k for the 16-voice version sound very convincing. It's at least what I would have always expected a Moog poly to cost, especially when it comes with 3 oscillators and all the other bells and whistles (particularly if the rumors about the Eventide effects and the added state-variable filter turn out to be true). It was also rumored that Alex Hartmann did the hardware design.

Particularly the 4 LFOs to the left remind me of the DSI way of doing things, which—among other aspects—makes me wonder whether they consulted Dave during the project.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:18:45 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 04:23:48 AM »
I will be curious how it will sound. I own a Minimoog and multi-tracking the individual voices in a recording does not always sound great. Too much raw power in the oscillator somehow. A high quality digital reverb makes total sense. I always add one at the back of my dry analogue synths.

Yeah, I'm sure the oscillators' behaviour would be adjusted for poly duties.

If Moog makes it happen, it could be a "do-it-all" synth, encouraging people to ditch other gear (to recoup $$$), and master just one instrument like a guitar player or pianist would do.

A "do-it-all" synth concept is very likely if it indeed includes all the said features.

LoboLives

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »

$6k to $8k

I'm a bit skeptical about the Eventide collaboration too, but the prices look very realistic to me. Furthermore, the PCBs show a center display, which might be exactly the one Amos Gaynes and Geert Bevin talked about in their JUCE presentation last year.

Is this how they’ll be able to do unlimited presets?

dslsynth

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
Will be interesting to see how this machine will look like once its announced. But to me it sounds like a discrete electronics machine with complex modulation. The "sound and features" type machine that some of us have been wishing to see from DSI for a few years now. Hope DSI take up that challenge at some point.

Wondering if the rumored state variable filter will be the Oberheim SEM design. Would be cool!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »

$6k to $8k

Is this how they’ll be able to do unlimited presets?

I assume they might just plan to have an editor and librarian available immediately. The way Amos and Geert talked about implementing JUCE, this might rather be restricted to visual information provided by the center display.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
Isn't there a reason that Moog doesn't do polysynths?

dslsynth

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »
Isn't there a reason that Moog doesn't do polysynths?

And that reason is?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 02:28:52 AM »
The "Moog" sound is two 'heavy' for polysynths, or too expensive, I cannot remember which.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 03:23:18 AM »
If the price is going to be 4-8K it will be impossible for the general user to get their hands on it... though, I would not doubt that this would be the end price somehow... the 4K may be what some users might be able to pay, so I hope, that MOOG choose to make the 8 voice upgradeable with an add on card... like with the REV2... that would allow for users to split the cost over a longer period of time, but still get their hands on the device and use it.
If you need me, follow the shadows...