Every synth vs every synths - almost!

Every synth vs every synths - almost!
« on: June 28, 2018, 04:53:46 AM »
Something like that! My gf is in Berlin and I took her to Schneidersladen. She's more interested in modular than me - I'm a bit intimidated, to be honest. But I have to say, this was the first time I ever felt comfortable and had fun messing about. Doepfer A-100 was set up and we both sort plugged and tweaked until something groovy started happening. Now, I'm fortunately poor enough not to be able to be tempted, but still, this was the first time I ever "got" the thrill. I think of myself as a "song guy," but I'm as much a sound fiend, so temptation comes twice as easy.

Following our modular moment, we carried on to Justmusic. I was happy to check out the Korg Prologue - definitely keen on that one now that I've played it. Hope it comes with a bottle of Windex, though! The Korg  kinda tamed my desire for an OB-6. Meanwhile, we checked out one of the gorgeous walnut MiniMoogs. She'd never played one and wanted to know what the fuss was about. One note and all was understood!

To cap all this synth and beyond wandering, we headed across town to see my mate with the Mellotron. Did a few quick tracks, and added a slice of Solina as well. I mean, I live in this town and love it dearly, but having Julia here to share all these tricks and toys with has been brilliant. And having her show me that there's nothing to fear about modular except expense and addiction was, uh... Hmm.   

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: Every synth vs every synths - almost!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 07:16:25 AM »
Something like that! My gf is in Berlin and I took her to Schneidersladen. She's more interested in modular than me - I'm a bit intimidated, to be honest. But I have to say, this was the first time I ever felt comfortable and had fun messing about. Doepfer A-100 was set up and we both sort plugged and tweaked until something groovy started happening. Now, I'm fortunately poor enough not to be able to be tempted, but still, this was the first time I ever "got" the thrill. I think of myself as a "song guy," but I'm as much a sound fiend, so temptation comes twice as easy.

Following our modular moment, we carried on to Justmusic. I was happy to check out the Korg Prologue - definitely keen on that one now that I've played it. Hope it comes with a bottle of Windex, though! The Korg  kinda tamed my desire for an OB-6. Meanwhile, we checked out one of the gorgeous walnut MiniMoogs. She'd never played one and wanted to know what the fuss was about. One note and all was understood!

To cap all this synth and beyond wandering, we headed across town to see my mate with the Mellotron. Did a few quick tracks, and added a slice of Solina as well. I mean, I live in this town and love it dearly, but having Julia here to share all these tricks and toys with has been brilliant. And having her show me that there's nothing to fear about modular except expense and addiction was, uh... Hmm.
Great Anton, cats and synths go well together!
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 04:46:56 AM »

Nice one.  We don't get instrument expos here, I'm always jealous of these stories.  I built expos/exhibitions/conventions for a living and I've built some very big broadcast industry trade shows, but it's all Kramer and Bose and Harmon etc displaying at those.  Got about 200 RU worth of rack rails after one show from the Shure distributer's stand I worked on, still haven't used it all.
I'm also jealous of you getting to play a mellotron.  I love the sound of those and they were the inspiration for me buying the E-mu.  I was going to try to emulate one.  I'd like to buy one of the new ones, but since I've pulled the E-mu out and am repairing it, I think I'll try again at the emulation.
My GF's have always loved my love of synths, but never actually played them. But they have always lived with me so we are never to long apart, so in that respect I have been luckier than yourself, though absence makes the heart grow fonder (and familiarity breeds contempt, just ask Liz or Kal or Bec).

I'm more of a sound guy than a song guy (though give me a bass, tell me what to play and we'll get through the gig) and have wanted to get into modulars for years now.  I was spoilt by my first and second synths being an MS-20 and an M1 respectively, so expected all other synths to be as amazing.  10 years later I bought a Microwave XTk and an e5000.  After finding that not much else comes close to those two for modulation structures/virtual patchbays (Dave did a good job on the Evolver but 4 slots is a tease after having 64 on the e5000), I've drooled over the concept of going modular, but was always put off by the the entry cost, thinking that the 500+ I thought was required could buy me a really nice desktop filter or analogue delay or step sequencer or 2nd hand synth/drum machine/sampler/multi fx.
This year I found a fellow selling eurocard frames for stupidly low prices so jumped in.  It's already got me looking around my room for instruments I'm not really using and can't see myself missing if it's gone.  That part is scary but also exciting as I'm thinking about how to structure a modular drum machine constantly, similar to 2000 when I first started to seriously pour my spare money into the electronic musical instrument pursuit.

Without access to 30 dollar frames w/rails, you can still get a foot-in-the door for under 200aud with a psu if you are shrewd.  Elby Designs have 42HP 3RU frames w/rails, thread-strips and screws for under 50aud, then a Tiptop PSU will come in at 150aud (bloody Elby run out of my city I found out this week and I'm now kicking myself as the cost of driving to Rooty Hill is about difference in price between the frames I bought and the brand new frames Elby are selling!).  Next thing you will buy is your first module.  Good tip for module acquisition is to start making lunch at home and not eating our for work lunch.  If you drink tea/coffee, also bring that from home in a vacuum flask as well as any morning tea food.
 Well, it's a good tip for if you want to buy more synths too, but works better for modules ;)  When I follow that tip, I have an extra 100ish in my pocket at the end of the week.

Great Anton, cats and synths go well together!

As long as you have the covers on, cats leave hair everywhere!

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 02:47:41 AM »
Follow up - we hit Schneidersladen and JustMusic again. This time at SL, it was the Lyra 8 drone synth by Soma that caught attention. I'd never spent any time with drone/noise synth stuff. Honestly, I'm pretty old school in many waysand I walk past many boxes if there ain't a keyboard hanging off. But having been dangerously snipped at by the modular bug, something like the Soma was nothing but friendly! I love drone music - I've set up a few generative-type patches on my Prophet 6. But a little box dedicated to hours of lost time sounds good and I'm too tempted by the Lyra.

Meanwhile, at JustMusic, more time spent checking out the Prologue. I'm still liking it, especially that resonant MS yowl in the filter. I'd like to end up with a gig-worthy polysynth for California, and this might be the one. Except, every single time I spend a moment with the Yamaha Reface CS I think "Why does this sound and feel so good, and why don't I get this vibe from all the pricier synths?" Also, "Why do I still not own one?" For all my likely "analog purity," the CS series simply thrills me. I've got the CP and it's now on as many of my songs as my Wurli.

My P5-owning girlfriend spent time with the Prophet 6 finally. She said, "Interesting, but I like mine better." Fair enough.

I have to say, becoming comfortable within inches of the modular toys at Schneider's feels dangerous. I'm sure some of you understand!