Sequencer - trouble understanding STEP advance playback with KEY start mode

Hi folks,

My goal is to get the sequencer to change a parameter every time I hit a key, but when I try this, notes I play on the keyboard do not sound. I'm sure I've seen this done in a video somewhere, but I can't get it to work myself :-(

I've set track one to Notes: off, set track two to modulate Osc 2 Shape Mod, and then when I activate the sequencer and play notes, I can see that the sequencer is advancing on each key down, but there is no sound.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks!
James

jg666

Hi folks,

My goal is to get the sequencer to change a parameter every time I hit a key, but when I try this, notes I play on the keyboard do not sound. I'm sure I've seen this done in a video somewhere, but I can't get it to work myself :-(

I've set track one to Notes: off, set track two to modulate Osc 2 Shape Mod, and then when I activate the sequencer and play notes, I can see that the sequencer is advancing on each key down, but there is no sound.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks!
James

Hope you don’t mind me asking a really basic question.... do you have the level turned up on the oscillator ?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Hey there,

That's a fair question! Yes, the volume is up. When I turn the sequencer off, or change the play source to anything but Key, I hear sound.

This is my exact setup:

1) Remove notes from Track 1 (Notes = Off) - I do not want the *sequencer* to play notes
2) Set track 2 to a length of two steps
3) Set destination of track 2 to modulate Osc 1 Shape Mod, and enter polar opposite settings for the two steps so you should be able to hear clear differences (if the notes actually play)
4) Set sequencer play source to 'Key'
5) Set sequencer play mode to 'Step'
6) Set sequencer restart to 'Off'
7) Env retrig makes no difference what you choose

Now, the desired behaviour is for me to play notes on the keyboard, and hear them, whilst the sequencer steps between its two modulating steps on track 2, affecting the Osc 1 Shape Mod - but I hear nothing.

Could you please try this and report your results?

Many thanks!
James

jg666

I'll give it a try some time later. I've seen people do this on youtube but can't remember where I saw it. I'm sure there are patches on the Pro2 which do a similar thing to this, if you can find one of those and compare values then you might spot a difference?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

I can recreate your issue but only if the 2 steps for Track 1 are not enabled. Select Track 1 and make sure that the first 2 step buttons are lit and I’m thinking that you will then get the sound?

Hey there,

If the first two steps are enabled in track 1, I get the same pitch (whatever those steps are set to) regardless of the notes I press on the keyboard. This is not useful :/

Can you confirm that you get different pitches when you play the keyboard?

jg666

Hey there,

If the first two steps are enabled in track 1, I get the same pitch (whatever those steps are set to) regardless of the notes I press on the keyboard. This is not useful :/

Can you confirm that you get different pitches when you play the keyboard?

Yes it plays whatever key I press. This is because I’ve set track 1 to be no notes so there are no notes stored in the sequencer.

Hey,

Right, so this doesn't work for me, so my synth ain't working. I'm on a support thread and the support technician is seemingly failing to recognise that my synth is not behaving as advertised.

:-(

Thanks for your help!

jg666

Hey,

Right, so this doesn't work for me, so my synth ain't working. I'm on a support thread and the support technician is seemingly failing to recognise that my synth is not behaving as advertised.

:-(

Thanks for your help!

It might be some other setting or something? Are you on the latest firmware version?

Aye, I'm on 1.3.0.

jg666

I’ve just quickly tried it again and I’m getting the same note playing every time. I was sure this wasn’t the case when I tried a few days ago but can’t be certain now!

I’ll have another play around another day. In the meantime I’ve been searching for the video that I’m sure I’ve watched where someone does this but can’t find it. I’ve found lots of others doing impressive things but not this particular thing. Mind you I’ve also been watching stuff about my Rev2 so don’t know if I’ve got mixed up with them!

Aha! Excellent!

That makes me very happy as I'm going round in circles on a support thread with the technician seemingly not understanding my issue when there's so obviously a problem with the functionality compared to what is advertised.

If you continue to find that all key presses play the same pitch in STEP mode, it would do a world of good to also open a support ticket. That might break me out of my loop with support as they obviously think I'm nuts or something.

Thanks again for checking!

jg666

You're welcome :) Apologies for unintentionally misleading you last night as well. I will have another go later but this time starting with an init patch. Last night I did it with an existing patch that already had notes in the sequencer. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not but I need to try it to put my mind at rest.

I'd also been playing around with the Rev2 sequencer at the same time so I might have got the two a bit mixed up - God I'm getting old and senile ;) :)

jg666

Right I’ve just tried this again, using the same patch as last night and now I can make each note play the actual note I’m pressing. I thought I’d managed this last week but couldn’t be sure last night!

The way I did it tonight was to set the Play Mode to Normal rather than Step.

Does that help?

Sorta, Normal and Play Once modes both work as advertised, but Step doesn't.

Some good news though, support has FINALLY acknowledged that this is a problem with the synth (after countless emails back and forth). It's in their bug database and will be included in a future firmware update.

Given that the synth is old, I expect this to never happen :-)

jg666

Doesn’t the Normal mode allow you to do what you want to do?

No, because it will retrigger notes as the key is held.

jg666

No, because it will retrigger notes as the key is held.

Of course yes, I didn’t check for that. Oh well I think finally between us we came to some sort of conclusions :)

jg666

I was wondering if the latest firmware has helped with this at all ?