Beat loading on the fly?

icekuhn

• 26.06.2018 - Should I give back my new Tempest???
Beat loading on the fly?
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:46:43 AM »
Hello everybody.

After a long decision-making process, I purchased my new DSI Tempest. I tested it, I read through the manual, I searched the internet for comments and I read over this forum.

It seems as it is nearly hopeless to get my requested feature, but if we do not talk about it, it is impossible. I've got a little hope, to get this new features, because:

1) In the FAQ for the Tempest on the DSI-Website you can find:

"Will I be able to load additional projects or beats in the background without having to stop playback? - This is on our list; we hope to have it available in the near future."

2) Adding this feature will generate new profit for Dave Smith and Roger Linn! Because a OS-version, which can handle beat-loading on the fly would generate new reviews with an excellent reputation. You would be able to do endless live-acts - then everybody wants a Tempest.

3) I'm sure, this feature is possible with the hardware. I'm not sure, if loading complete projects on the fly is possible, because how should the RAM be completely new loaded, while playback from the RAM. And I think loading projects on the fly is not a natural part of a smooth workflow (ok, maybe as a shift function on playlist...).

4) But loading Beats with knob 3 and 4 in the 16 beats mode is the natural, smooth workflow I really expected from this machine, while using it the first time. But what I have is a parameter of the Roll-function (ok, it is a greate feature, but not a must-have as beat loading on the fly... why not use shit + roll for control of this parameter without using the roll?)

[And there's a related subject I have to mention, when I talk about beat loading on the fly: I really was wondering, why I can't find any beat in the file system of my Tempest! Until I used it, I was expecting a project consists of links to 16 beats (and maybe a playlist) and all the beats are safed seperately in the memory. This would save a lot of memory, when you want to use a beat in different projects. Maybe a reason for OS-Version 2.0]

So everybody who thinks like me, that all other features would be nice, but not nearly as necessary, as beat loading on the fly is nessecary, please give me an echo in this topic: We need this feature in OS-Version 1.6! Thank you!
German - please apologize my language mistakes - Thank you!

Re: Beat loading on the fly?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum,
Loading beats in the background has been requested to death by all of us as it was a primary live mangling feature but Tempest’s memory has been squeezed till it’s last drop so it wasn’t possible to be implemented..DSI had to make hard decisions about the most important features to be implemented..Everyone’s needs are different so you’ll hear many different opinions..
Long story short Tempest’s development has reached to an end so no more feature requests for us..Enjoy this classic machine as it is!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:04:14 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

icekuhn

• 26.06.2018 - Should I give back my new Tempest???
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
Thank you very much for the answer.

Please report to Dave Smith, he should replace the wrong answer in his FAQ for the Tempest. It's simply not fair.

So for me there's a hard decision too: Should I give back the Tempest in the store or not... But discussing that would be off topic...

German - please apologize my language mistakes - Thank you!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 02:44:42 PM »
I agree with you on the FAQ answer really i don’t see the point of the specific question cause Chris already stated there’s no way to implement it..I’ll try to investigate it..As for keeping the Tempest or not this one’s up to you and your needs..You have to balance pros & cons and decide.For me and many others here it’s a hard keeper cause there’s nothing like it out there yet..
Thank you very much for the answer.

Please report to Dave Smith, he should replace the wrong answer in his FAQ for the Tempest. It's simply not fair.

So for me there's a hard decision too: Should I give back the Tempest in the store or not... But discussing that would be off topic...

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 02:48:36 PM »
They also had loading of user samples 'coming in a future update' or something to that effect listed on their website for at least a year, probably considerably longer, after the firmware coder had told us on the forum it was never going to happen!

'Tis a great machine though. Flawed, but great.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher