Pro2 paraphonic mode different notes sound different individual oscillators...?

So I just got a pro2... I知
Learning here.. so when I create a basic program patch ad go to paraphonic mode, with all 4 Osc going, after I. Strike and hold 2 or 3 notes, the next voices that come in are not a blend of the chosen oscillators but are the individual oscillators each one at a time, back and forth.. square, triangle, square back n forth...  is there some reason for this? Some setting to get them to play simultaneously/blended as they should be?   Pretty strange

Learning here.. so when I create a basic program patch ad go to paraphonic mode, with all 4 Osc going, after I. Strike and hold 2 or 3 notes, the next voices that come in are not a blend of the chosen oscillators but are the individual oscillators each one at a time, back and forth.. square, triangle, square back n forth...  is there some reason for this? Some setting to get them to play simultaneously/blended as they should be?   Pretty strange

Hi emptyvessel,

This is correct and how paraphonic mode works on the Pro2.

If you are coming at it from a another angle then it can be a bit confusing at first.

Put simply (hopefully), this is how it works;

Mono:
1 note played, and you can use up to 4 oscillators per note.

Paraphonic:
4 keys played, and you can only use 1 oscillator per note.

You cannot blend all 4 oscillators onto each of the 4 notes played in paraphonic mode as you only have 1 oscillator per note allocation.

If this was to work as you envisaged, the Pro2 would require 4 oscillators per note, which means you would need 16 oscillators onboard for this to work.

As an example, the Prophet 12 has 4 oscillators per voice (note) as with the Pro2, but in order to play multiple oscillators per voice (polyphonic mode) it actually has 48 oscillators onboard.

12 voices x 4 oscillators = 48 oscillators onboard.

Hi emptyvessel,

If you are coming at it from a another angle then it can be a bit confusing at first.

Mono:

Paraphonic:

You cannot blend all 4 oscillators onto each of the 4 notes played in paraphonic mode as you only have 1 oscillator per note allocation.

If this was to work as you envisaged, the Pro2 would require 4 oscillators per note, which means you would need 16 oscillators onboard for this to work.

As an example, the Prophet 12 has 4 oscillators per voice (note) as with the Pro2, but in order to play multiple oscillators per voice (polyphonic mode) it actually has 48 oscillators onboard.

Ok I see. thanks for the reply.. so, I didnt even notice before but it even seems that if i strike one single note repeatedly in para mode, it cycles through the different oscillators... so strange Ive never noticed this happening when watching demos and such.  Interesting limitation. 

Hi emptyvessel,

Mono:

Paraphonic:

Ok I see. thanks for the reply.. so, I didnt even notice before but it even seems that if i strike one single note repeatedly in para mode, it cycles through the different oscillators... so strange Ive never noticed this happening when watching demos and such.  Interesting limitation.

I believe it chooses the next free oscillator when hitting the key he next time. It can actually be turned into an interesting effect if you have a different waveshape assigned to the different oscillators. I seem to remember Marc Doty demonstrating that feature in one of his Pro 2 videos.

Hi emptyvessel,

Mono:

Paraphonic:

I believe it chooses the next free oscillator when hitting the key he next time. It can actually be turned into an interesting effect if you have a different waveshape assigned to the different oscillators. I seem to remember Marc Doty demonstrating that feature in one of his Pro 2 videos.

You will find it demonstrated at 08:03 minutes into this video by Marc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA1sJAPiD9Q&frags=pl%2Cwn

thanks peeps