Improving the Mopho Desktop

Improving the Mopho Desktop
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:59:22 AM »
Hello,

not sure if this is the appropriate place, but on the one hand I thought others might be interested, on the other hand I thought DSI might actually like what I did because it improves an already great instrument.

I wanted to share my work on the Mopho Desktop. No, this time not my musical work, but I put some effort into the hardware itself. It has a slightly cleaner sound now, USB port, indicator LEDs and as a bonus I also added wooden sides.

For the technically interested, detailed information is published on my blog: http://karg-music.blogspot.de/2016/01/mopho-morphosis.html

Thanks a lot to DSI for such an awesome and inspiring device!

Faithfully yours,
Karg

Re: Improving the Mopho Desktop
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:04:37 AM »
Nice idea with the usb port!

chysn

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 06:43:26 AM »
Very cool, nice work with the Teensy!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 08:06:12 AM »
That looks sharp!

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:19:10 PM »
Amazing work!!

Every now and then I see one of these for sale at a good price and am very tempted. I think I'll have to pick up the next one I see and give these mods a shot ;). I appreciate the clean pictures on your blog by the way. If nothing else, I think I will attempt to do the mod that cleans up the waves. I've often deferred to my modular when it comes to sounds that require square waves with funky pulse widths.

FWIW, I currently have my MoPho Desktop tucked away out of sight as I use it exclusively with my MoPho Keyboard, from which I can program and play it from. If it had USB, however, I'd be more inclined to control it from my PC!

chysn

Re: Improving the Mopho Deskt
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
Every now and then I see one of these for sale at a good price and am very tempted.

Sometimes I miss the little thing and think about picking one up every now and then, and I still kind of like the idea of having an X4.

Some of Karg's ideas could be applied to an interesting X4 project, which I'd probably try if I ever acquired an X4. Rather than using a Teensy to simply insert USB MIDI messages into the X4's MIDI IN, an Arduino Mega could be set up with 16 encoders and a four-position switch to send NRPN messages corresponding to sequencer step values. There's plenty of room on the panel to add something this luxurious.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his