Owner Impressions

DMS

Re: Owner Impressions
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »
And sequencer bits  :)

Shaw

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »
F1 P1 is a fine place to start.  DSI knew what they were doing there, and there’s a ton of variety packed back-to-back in factory programs.  It makes for a great initial tour but it’s hell finding anything after the fact because there’s no apparent organization.

Don’t forget to try mod wheel and sliders on every program.  There’s a lot of hidden goodness baked into many of them, and sometimes even a simple sustain yields a surprise or two.
I had already started, but yes, I decided to do them in Sequential order... pun?

About 2 hours later, I’m not even half way through the first bank.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

ddp

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »
i have a moog expression pedal, nord sustain, and a nektar foot switch (easier than pressing ‘run’). i like to think of sustain as dave’s ‘weird shit’ pedal, but maybe that’s just me. :-)

whoever designed the voice scheduling algorithm deserves praise.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:47:45 PM by ddp »
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »

Indeed!  If you're going to occasionally be reduced as low as four voice polyphony you really need a good stealing algorithm and graceful transitions.  I've also been favorably impressed.

Shaw

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »
i have a moog expression pedal, nord sustain, and a nektar foot switch (easier than pressing ‘run’). i like to think of sustain as dave’s ‘weird shit’ pedal, but maybe that’s just me. :-)

Finally got through the first bank of presets, then programmed my own weird string machine from scratch (a combination of real strings and saws)... got a really nice sound really quickly -- having used DSI synths for years really helped.  I like the familiarity.

As for the first present bank... I am still digesting...  This is a deep machine. Somewhat akin to my Kurzweil K2000 from years ago.  Different, better, more immediate, but similar...  Man, this is gonna be one helluva ride.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

ddp

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
u3 95 metal fatigue w/ expression and sustain, play it now!
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

DMS

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
Alright, let’s not compare this to a rompler, I have 3. Romplers become static, and tiresome, and quite honestly sub synths do as well. Only time will tell. Sounds great with the OB6 trust me.  8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:04:08 PM by DMS »

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
I don’t think anyone who understands the Prophet X would write it off as a ROMpler, but then I’d say the same thing about Kurzweil’s VAST gear.  I am very happy to have my X paired with a Forte.

Shaw

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
I don’t think anyone who understands the Prophet X would write it off as a ROMpler, but then I’d say the same thing about Kurzweil’s VAST gear.  I am very happy to have my X paired with a Forte.
I’ll second that.  My first synth ever was a K2000.  Imagine my confusion when i looked at a Little Phatty.  :-\

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 01:06:59 AM »

It has too many features to be a ROMpler for sure... the sample engine can do some granular stuff that not many other hardware synths are capable of, be it samplers or ROMplers... the two additional synth oscillators put's it right out of the "sampler/ROMpler" category... it will feel a bit like a ROMpler though, if people only use the sample oscillators, and as long as the user sample feature is not implemented... but still... it sports so many things in one machine that it would be hard to describe it as anything singular... I'd rather call it an analog/digital hybrid modern type of D50/V-Synth... but without really being that either. To me it's an instrument that begs to be used for sound design, not just a sample playback synthesizer... if that is all you do with it, you'd be wasting it's full potential in my opinion... this is also why I do not understand why some of you would rather have 4 sample oscillators, and throw away those two synth oscillators that actually makes this machine unique in it's combined form. That is what sets it apart from the rest, save maybe the Quantum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:08:43 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »
I'm glad to have the mix of oscillators and sample playback as well, but that's not the most unique aspect of the instrument for me.  My Forte has DSP-generated oscillators as well, and they're capable of some nice shape morphing tricks.  The huge differences the Prophet X brings are audio rate modulation, analog filters, and the immediacy of the user interface.

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
Well, I’m finally feeling up to going to the studio today to break the PX in. I might design some patches tonight. Can’t wait.

DMS

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
These raw waves and oscillators are fluid, the ultimate customizable combination, brilliant. No screenshots your ears

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
Curious, is there a way to add Glide to the Samples? It seems it only affects the oscillators.

Shaw

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 03:43:46 PM »
Curious, is there a way to add Glide to the Samples? It seems it only affects the oscillators.
“On sampled instruments, glide only works when Sample Stretch is enabled.”  — page 19 of the Manual.

LoboLives

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 04:03:52 PM »
“On sampled instruments, glide only works when Sample Stretch is enabled.”  — page 19 of the Manual.

Thanks!

LoboLives

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
So I skimmed through the Presets and man let me tell you, those online demos do this synth no justice. The Pianos alone are breathtaking as well as the Hammond and Rhodes patches.

I started to design some of my first patches on this baby and I got to say I'm blown away with the quality of the samples. The Pianos are easily some of the most realistic I've heard and the string samples are phenominal. I'll post a few examples in the coming week. Did a nice Steinway morphing into a VS Piano, a double bass/Rhodes/Hammond Jazz split, a "Polymorphia" inspired string and horn cluster, and of course I had to do Tubular Bells as a sequence. ;)

You can also see where the sample side requires some new sounds (I was shocked...I might have missed them...but no Cathedral Pipe Organ? French Horns? I might have skipped past them but I don't recal seeing them) and I would love some more brass and string effects from 8Dio's CAGE and CASE Libraries. The "TWILIGHT ZONE" patch is exactly the type of brass sound I've been looking for in a synth FOREVER! I grew up on those 1950's creature feature films and I always loved those "Flutter Tongue Rips" and "Cluster Stabs" that you would hear when the monster would appear.

ddp

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 10:26:20 PM »
Welcome.  It's nice in here!

LoboLives

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »
Heading to the studio tomorrow to do some programing and recording this weekend. Expects lots of Soundcloud and YouTube tracks by the end of the weekend :)

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 10:12:49 AM »
Looking forward to it!  I haven’t had as much time as I’d like this week.  Between taking care of my wife following minor surgery and the arrival of another studio distraction last weekend, I have a backlog of ideas to explore.

What I really need is focused time trying to bring all the pieces together into something coherent rather than trying to showcase the Prophet X on its own.