Prophet 12 with linear FM vs PRO 2 with only exponential FM

Prophet 12 with linear FM vs PRO 2 with only exponential FM
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »
It hasn't been confirmed whether the PRO 2 will receive linear FM or not. If DSI confirms linear FM will not be implemented into the PRO 2, would you rather have a Prophet 12?

I'm pretty sure I would; that's how important linear FM is to me. I would definitely miss the PRO 2's filters, but I think it would be worth the trade. I'm not even considering polyphony in my hypothetical question.

Re: Prophet 12 with linear FM vs PRO 2 with only exponential FM
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:16:38 PM »
It wouldn't be that easy for me. I definitely hope that the linear FM option will be implemented in the Pro 2 along with some sequencer-related updates (recording in paraphonic mode, etc.). But even without that, there are some advantages only the Pro 2 has: the filters (esp. the yummy state-variable one), the sequencer, CV connectivity, and the 13 superwaves which I wouldn't wanna miss either. The first advantages of the Prophet 12 that come to my mind would be true polyphony, bi-timbrality, and the linear FM. It's a matter of priorities I guess. None is really replaceable by the other.

Re: Prophet 12 with linear FM vs PRO 2 with only exponential FM
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:12:21 AM »
I currently use my P12 mostly for multitrack recording mono programs so at the moment I'd probably say Pro 2. Linear FM is sweet but you'd be giving up quite a few neat features to get it so unless it's absolutley vital to your sound I don't think the trade is worth it.

Linear FM isn't as useful important to me in a mono as in a poly either so there is that.

In the end the P12 is more useful to me due to how flexible it is. I've not really needed another synth since I got the P12 (which is partially why I got it in the first place).

If the sequencer isn't vital to you and you can't have both I'd say get the P12. It's a better general purpose synth. I sure wouldn't replace on with the other though.
Prophet 12