The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

OB6 vs REV2

Re: OB6 vs REV2
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 03:41:36 AM »
Around 2011, Tom Oberheim announced a four-voice SEM called "Son Of 4 Voice" also known as SO4V. It started shipping in 2014. Only a very limited number of units were actually produced and shipped, since they were all made by hand one at a time, before being discontinued soon after the DSI OB6 was announced, for which Tom has designed the voice cards (VCOs/VCF) replicating his SEM modules circuitry.

Actually, the SO4V never saw the light of the day, as there were some delaying issues with the OS of the programmer module. Tom focused on the Two Voice Pro instead, which was announced in 2012 and became available around 2015 until it was discontinued last year.

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 05:30:07 AM »
I thought that since Sweetwater Sound still lists it on their online store as discontinued, that it did ship at some point ?
But I stand corrected. Thanks.
Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller), Prophet REV2-16, DeepMind 12

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 05:39:40 AM »
I thought that since Sweetwater Sound still lists it on their online store as discontinued, that it did ship at some point ?
But I stand corrected. Thanks.

Yes, you're right. I remember Sweetwater listing it after it was announced. But only the rendering made its way out of Tom's workspace.

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 07:21:36 AM »
I've owned (and sold and never missed) the Rev2, had a prophet 6 (also sold but that was at least great sounding in its own way) and currently have the OB-6.

The rev 2 and OB-6 exist in different universes of sound quality. There's no doubt about it. Maybe on 'some' YT vids you think you can guess? Nah, get them in, use them and see the (woeful) limits of the Rev 2s tone and weak filter, yes modulation is cool  but not if it's in place of great sound. While OB-6 won't do some of the stuff the Rev 2 could, I don't particularly need the stuff the rev 2 can do IF it doesn't sound *great* doing it.

OB6 = 10/10 on sound (and operation)
Prophet 6 = 8/10 (on best stuff - 7/10 on 50% of stuff)
Rev 2 = 5/10 (maybe 6/10 on some very specific 'sci fi' modulated sequences and layer morphs but 'meh' overall)

OB-6 isn't just the best sounding DSI synth, by far, imo it's the best sound modern analog synth of them all (inc against the Moog One which does nothing for me).

I've had tons of analog, VA and digital (from late 70s upto today), in recent times JD-XA, Sub 37, Slim Phatty, Rev 2, Prophet 6, OB-6 etc and the ONLY one of the modern ones that was good enough to remain was the OB-6. Not only does it 'make the grade' it also puts many of the old vintage synths to shame, something even the Prophet 6 couldn't do let alone the very very clinical Rev 2.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 07:24:22 AM by SynthHead »

MPM

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »
Horses for courses.
All three work together perfectly for a 100% synth gig. But individually, it depends on the job.

If you’re the keys in a band, the synth of choice should be based on the bands genre.
I wouldn’t be wielding an OB-6 for orchestral ballads, nor would I rely solely on a Rev2 for industrial EDM...

Neither is better or worse, more or less capable than the other.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2019, 04:43:32 PM »
I've played the P6 briefly and own an OB-6/AS-1 currently. To me the P6 sounds as near perfect tonally as it gets. I'd say it's darker and a bit more smooth/beautiful; overall it's more refined. The OB-6 is brighter and has a bit more hair/character; overall it's rougher. It would be near impossible for me to pick one over the other and if I could I'd own both.

Also, it's hard to imagine being a synth head, yet the Moog One does absolutely "nothing" for you ... But I suppose that's the hip thing to say these days.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:47:09 PM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 10:19:47 AM »
I love them both for different reasons...

I actually exchanged my OB-6 just yesterday due to a problem with a pot and damn I miss it... I'm diving as deep as I can into the Rev 2 until she arrives back in my arms... Separation anxiety with an inanimate object!

I honestly couldn't decide between them because there aren't any music stores I could test them at near me, so I ended up with the Rev 2 16 voice, OB-6 module and Novation Peak.... I think I'm close to my poly end game, but I'm not much interested in vintage equipment.