Yet another minor software bug...

Yet another minor software bug...
« on: June 09, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »
I've discovered yet another bug with the Unison Mode (more evident in 16 voices Unison Mode).
If you play successive notes that are more than one octave apart, the Unison detune is reset and all oscillators will play in perfect phase for the first fraction of a second, and be detuned according to the Unison Detune parameter shortly after.

It's more evident with sounds with a short attack and release times.
I thought I'd heard something weird before, but couldn't quite isolate the behavior. Now it's clearly evident, especially with 16 notes Unison where all the oscillators play.

Not a huge concern, but a bug nonetheless.
My guess is that it probably has to do with the resetting of the DCO timers for different frequency ranges...

To easily replicate it, call up default patch, set release time to 0, press the Unison button, press MISC PARAMS and select Unison Mode and set it to 16 Voices, then select Unison Detune and set it to 2. Play highest note, and lowest notesuccessively and hear what it does to the lowest note each time you press it after the highest one... The detuning always restarts in perfect phase. 

It doesn't happen if the notes are less than 1 octave apart.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:28:15 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Re: Yet another minor software bug...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »
Tried to reproduce...I only have the 8 voice here but I don't hear it. Could this be the "note reset" parameter? Is it engaged?

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
Tried to reproduce...I only have the 8 voice here but I don't hear it. Could this be the "note reset" parameter? Is it engaged?

No the "note reset" is not engaged. But the effect is similar (although not as pronounced) between highest note and lowest note on the keyboard.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »
If you have a reproducible software bug, please contact our dedicated support channel with a short description and concise steps to reproduce it:  support (at) davesmithinstruments.com

Thanks!
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM