P6 white noise source?

P6 white noise source?
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
Asking because I don't (yet?) have a Prophet 6... Does it use the same gritty "white noise" source as the Prophet/Mophos or is it something actually more white noisy? Obviously the noise source isn't the only reason I want want one, but it is a thing I am less than thrilled with on my otherwise beloved X4, and it'd be nice to know what I'm getting into there.

Edit: I mean in terms of the noise itself, and as an LFO shape.

Re: P6 white noise source?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 06:53:12 AM »
Does it use the same gritty "white noise" source as the Prophet/Mophos or is it something actually more white noisy? Obviously the noise source isn't the only reason I want want one, but it is a thing I am less than thrilled with on my otherwise beloved X4, and it'd be nice to know what I'm getting into there.

I turned it on and thought it was granular and digital sounding. Dave Smith has said it is a digital source I am pretty sure. I turned it off. However, maybe the other settings were not favourable and I didn't persevere with it because I was interested in making other sounds.

I remember using the noise on the old Sequential Pro-One. It could sound not as I wanted at first depending on the settings - but by tweaking filter, etc., I could get a huge sound, perhaps like the Pacific Ocean waves coming in.

I perhaps just need to persevere with the P6 noise source but on first impression I wasn't over keen.

Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

Re: P6 white noise source?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 07:04:03 AM »
Does it use the same gritty "white noise" source as the Prophet/Mophos or is it something actually more white noisy? Obviously the noise source isn't the only reason I want want one, but it is a thing I am less than thrilled with on my otherwise beloved X4, and it'd be nice to know what I'm getting into there.

I turned it on and thought it was granular and digital sounding. Dave Smith has said it is a digital source I am pretty sure. I turned it off. However, maybe the other settings were not favourable and I didn't persevere with it because I was interested in making other sounds.

I remember using the noise on the old Sequential Pro-One. It could sound not as I wanted at first depending on the settings - but by tweaking filter, etc., I could get a huge sound, perhaps like the Pacific Ocean waves coming in.

I perhaps just need to persevere with the P6 noise source but on first impression I wasn't over keen.

Thank you for checking. It sounds like it's similar to what's in the Mopho X4, then. For what it's worth, while I find the noise ugly on its own, it can be very useful at times. It mostly just needs to be used subtly. I very often use it as a modulation source at a low level. And also, being digital isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself. It just depends on the method being used to generate it.  I was just hoping the P6 might have something that is more like true white noise.

Since posting this, I have tried using the excellent white noise source I have in my modular synth to modulate my VCO and VCF, and found that the effect was not much different from what I've experienced with my Mopho X4.