MIDI Thru vs MIDI Out

MIDI Thru vs MIDI Out
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »
I'm trying to attach a Novation Peak module (no keys) to my modest setup of a Prophet 6 and a Digitakt.

Right now, I have it set up like this:

Digitakt -> P6 -> Peak

Now, when I am running sequences from the Digitakt to the Peak, I have to run it through the MIDI Thru port, which means I can't play it in real time with the P6 keys.

If I run through the MIDI Out of the P6, I can use the keys to play the Peak, but the sequences from the Digitakt are filtered out.

I've been through the manuals, and I can't figure out how to merge the Midi Out and the Midi Thru.

Do I need to turn off Local Control, send MIDI Out of P6 into Midi In of the Digitakt, then send the output of the Digitakt to the Peak and P6?

This seems overly complicated, especially since I just want the Peak and the P6 to play the same sequences simultaneously. I suspect that there is some easy way of doing this, and I just don't understand.

Re: MIDI Thru vs MIDI Out
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 05:50:11 AM »
For this scenario: "Now, when I am running sequences from the Digitakt to the Peak, I have to run it through the MIDI Thru port, which means I can't play it in real time with the P6 keys."

Try the following:

Digitakt MIDI OUT > MIDI IN Prophet 6

Prophet 6 MIDI THRU > MIDI IN Peak

On the Prophet 6 make sure the MIDI Port setting in the Globals is set to MIDI (not USB) if you are using MIDI cables for the connections.

You need to have the Peak and Prophet 6 on different MIDI channels. Ensure that the sequences you want to send from the Digitakt for the Peak and Prophet 6 are assigned to the correct MIDI channels.

If you do the above then you should be able to send a sequence from the Digitakt into the Peak, and also be able to play the Prophet 6 alongside it - or if you like, also sequence the Prophet 6 from the Digitakt.

For this scenario: "If I run through the MIDI Out of the P6, I can use the keys to play the Peak, but the sequences from the Digitakt are filtered out."

If I understand correctly you wish to play the Peak as well as send a sequence to it? If so then do the above but make sure that the Prophet 6 and the Peak are set to the same MIDI channel, and send the sequences to that MIDI channel too. What you would need to do here is turn down the volume of the Prophet 6 as the same sequence would run on both. Also you would need to watch out for clashes (more specifically note stealing) if you are sending a sequence to the Peak AND also playing the Peak from the Prophet 6 keyboard.

I hope I have understood your needs correctly, good luck!