Tempest + Rev2/OB6/P6?

jmnes

Tempest + Rev2/OB6/P6?
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:40:38 AM »
Hello - Currently I have a Tempest and Analog Four MKI.  I use the Tempest as the "rhythm" section - sequenced drums, played "bass" parts and some mono synth bits.  Then the Analog Four is sort of like... my right hand live playing.   I also then sing and sometimes use the main midi controller to run some "played" harmonies through a TC Helicon Quintet.

My music style is sort of in the vein of James Blake, Radiohead, Francis and the Lights, Bon Iver... etc.

I'm looking to replace the Analog Four with a Prophet of some sort. 

My initial thought was a Rev2.  In that case, the tempest would be more focused on drums and small mono bits, and the core synth work would come usually from a split directly on the prophet.  I became a little concerned with this though because the Rev2 is so similar sonically to the tempest (same filter, similar raw tonal possibilities).  I also don't love the single effect per layer or lack of a per voice high pass filter.

This led me to the Prophet 6 / OB 6, which have very different and richer tonal possibilities.  For my usage, I think I'd just get the desktop and essentially use it like i currently use the analog four.  A complement to the Tempest "Rhythm" section duties.

While one answer is "just buy them all", I'm attempting to be very thoughtful about my setup.  It is ultimately just a hobby for me, and my focus is on minimal programming/sequencing while playing/writing/singing the majority of things "live".

Any thoughts on which direction may be best? 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:42:10 AM by jmnes »

Re: Tempest + Rev2/OB6/P6?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:43:56 PM »
Hello - Currently I have a Tempest and Analog Four MKI.  I use the Tempest as the "rhythm" section - sequenced drums, played "bass" parts and some mono synth bits.  Then the Analog Four is sort of like... my right hand live playing.   I also then sing and sometimes use the main midi controller to run some "played" harmonies through a TC Helicon Quintet.

My music style is sort of in the vein of James Blake, Radiohead, Francis and the Lights, Bon Iver... etc.

I'm looking to replace the Analog Four with a Prophet of some sort. 

My initial thought was a Rev2.  In that case, the tempest would be more focused on drums and small mono bits, and the core synth work would come usually from a split directly on the prophet.  I became a little concerned with this though because the Rev2 is so similar sonically to the tempest (same filter, similar raw tonal possibilities).  I also don't love the single effect per layer or lack of a per voice high pass filter.

This led me to the Prophet 6 / OB 6, which have very different and richer tonal possibilities.  For my usage, I think I'd just get the desktop and essentially use it like i currently use the analog four.  A complement to the Tempest "Rhythm" section duties.

While one answer is "just buy them all", I'm attempting to be very thoughtful about my setup.  It is ultimately just a hobby for me, and my focus is on minimal programming/sequencing while playing/writing/singing the majority of things "live".

Any thoughts on which direction may be best?
I'd say it's a decision of what's more important to you: the core sound of the oscillators and the filter or the rich possibilities of modulation routing and evolving patches? The OB-6 would be the answer for the former and the Rev 2 for the latter. The OB-6 seems like one big sweet spot of sound but a comparatively limited synth engine*, whereas the Rev 2 has a lot more options in terms of using the sequencer as a modulation source, mod routing, 4 LFOs, etc. Not that the Rev 2 can't sound awesome (as I'm sure you've heard in Radiohead and Blake's Prophet 08-driven music), but it's not that instant huge sound of an Oberheim.

*compared to the Rev 2 or the Analog Four, that is. Compared to vintage synths it's a beast.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:45:54 PM by guyaguy »

MKDVB

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:05:25 PM »
Seems like the type of music you're referencing, a Rev2 would be a good bet. I've only laid hands on the Rev2 but seems like your music would demand vocals be at the forefront, not the synth. My personal relationship with a Rev2 has been more slow burn than love at first sight but I was mixing my band's demos last week & spent hours chiseling out my mates' parts & sounds but the Rev2 mixed in beautifully, no need to air band it or carve out mud, just adjusted level & that's it. I'd go so far as to say it sounded better recorded than when I played it live.

From demos, seems like the OB6 is the synth's bees but that pure tone might get lost a little bit (or worse, overshadow your voice). The Rev2 seems the quintissential workhorse, bread-and-butter, etc synth. Are you aiming to impress synth nerds or music nerds?

Just my .02 ... I'd still pick up an OB6 in a heartbeat if it was priced right. :P
Seq Pro 3| Moog Matriarch |  Elektron Monomachine mk2 | Roland V-Synth | Synthstrom Deluge | Squarp Pyramid

jmnes

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 07:41:02 PM »

I'd say it's a decision of what's more important to you: the core sound of the oscillators and the filter or the rich possibilities of modulation routing and evolving patches? The OB-6 would be the answer for the former and the Rev 2 for the latter. The OB-6 seems like one big sweet spot of sound but a comparatively limited synth engine*, whereas the Rev 2 has a lot more options in terms of using the sequencer as a modulation source, mod routing, 4 LFOs, etc. Not that the Rev 2 can't sound awesome (as I'm sure you've heard in Radiohead and Blake's Prophet 08-driven music), but it's not that instant huge sound of an Oberheim.

I’ve definitely heard the goodness of the Rev2.  A couple things I’m not sure about - Those artists tend to be surrounded by other instruments / gear and for this project I’m going to have my voice, the tempest and another synth (plus an Eventide H9, and midi controlled harmonizer).  Even the extremely minimalist James Blake has 2-3 other synths in a live setting.  Whatever I select is going to need to cover a fair amount of ground, but it’s all within a pretty narrow range compared to the totality of synth music. I also tend to rely more heavily on velocity, aftertouch, and the two wheels rather than programming movement directly into the sound.

I’m a competent synth programmer, but my comfort zone approaching this question is still more in the world of guitar.  In that world, it’s so much more about the feel and play of the guitar to me.  The core sound is like 95% the same and the raw “capabilities” are almost exactly the same from guitar to guitar.  I can’t really tell what the right fit is at this point.  The analog four is an incredible box, but it’s more of a utility to me than an instrument and i feel like I need an “instrument”… that feels right and that i build muscle memory around.  Part of me feels like that would be more prophet 6 in the live panel mode.  But I just don’t know. 

I appreciate your feedback.

Seems like the type of music you're referencing, a Rev2 would be a good bet. I've only laid hands on the Rev2 but seems like your music would demand vocals be at the forefront, not the synth. My personal relationship with a Rev2 has been more slow burn than love at first sight but I was mixing my band's demos last week & spent hours chiseling out my mates' parts & sounds but the Rev2 mixed in beautifully, no need to air band it or carve out mud, just adjusted level & that's it. I'd go so far as to say it sounded better recorded than when I played it live.

From demos, seems like the OB6 is the synth's bees but that pure tone might get lost a little bit (or worse, overshadow your voice). The Rev2 seems the quintissential workhorse, bread-and-butter, etc synth. Are you aiming to impress synth nerds or music nerds?

Just my .02 ... I'd still pick up an OB6 in a heartbeat if it was priced right. :P

This, is the essence of my… concern… about the Prophet 6/OB6.  You are absolutely correct that the synth in my setup is more in the background and I totally agree that the “thinner” stuff sits well in the mix and lives in it’s correct place more easily.

The nerds question is funny.  I guess I just enjoy playing music and the process I have built around that.  I’d probably be more likely to impress someone who knows nothing about synths or music.  In other words, I guess I’m not playing for the nerds.  Even though I am a nerd.