Hardware Sequencers

Gomjab

Re: Hardware Sequencers
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »
9 months wait so far. I hope lots of people renege on their orders so it comes sooner.

I looked at the Engine. Everything about it looks great.
But, where it falls short in my comparison to the Cirklon is that Engine has 8 tracks with a max 4 note poly. That’s not bad, but I’d like to take full advantage of my 16 voice Rev2.

It’s a max of 16notes per track on the Cirklon, and apparently infinity on the pyramid.

If the Pyramid were a desktop pc, yeah infinite notes, but it's not and is limited by how much else is going on.  I've not hit the limit, but I'm not running any 128 voice polyphony instruments from it to even start to push it's events-per-step limit.

Oh yeah, I got an SQ-1 finally.  Good little box for running CV from.

And the SQ-1 is just a little more affordable than the Cirklon!  :D  I’ve thought of grabbing one to feed into some Eurorack modules.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 12:09:30 AM »
9 months wait so far. I hope lots of people renege on their orders so it comes sooner.

I looked at the Engine. Everything about it looks great.
But, where it falls short in my comparison to the Cirklon is that Engine has 8 tracks with a max 4 note poly. That’s not bad, but I’d like to take full advantage of my 16 voice Rev2.

It’s a max of 16notes per track on the Cirklon, and apparently infinity on the pyramid.

If the Pyramid were a desktop pc, yeah infinite notes, but it's not and is limited by how much else is going on.  I've not hit the limit, but I'm not running any 128 voice polyphony instruments from it to even start to push it's events-per-step limit.

Oh yeah, I got an SQ-1 finally.  Good little box for running CV from.

And the SQ-1 is just a little more affordable than the Cirklon!  :D  I’ve thought of grabbing one to feed into some Eurorack modules.

That's what I'm doing with mine.  You can use it as a fixed voltage source also when it's stationary, each step can be triggered individually and the value set will be output via the CV outs.  It's great for what it is, only complaint is the knobs are ambiguous.

jok3r

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2018, 12:02:14 PM »
I followed this thread quietly the last weeks... and now this appeared in my Twitter account today:

https://sonicstate.com/news/2018/10/10/novations-next-generation-sl-keyboard-controllers

Thought that could be a thing for you... looks pretty amazing to me.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

megamarkd

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
I followed this thread quietly the last weeks... and now this appeared in my Twitter account today:

https://sonicstate.com/news/2018/10/10/novations-next-generation-sl-keyboard-controllers

Oh sick!  I'd thought they'd retired the SL line and was rather disappointed in what was left behind from what were the best quality and feature laden controller range for the price.
The sequencer is a bonus, brings it inline with some of the other manufacture's offerings (Akai and Korg have recently had controllers with basic sequencers onboard).  Wasn't expecting it to record CC's.  2xCV pitch/gate/mod outputs is a boon.  I think that there will be a ReMote 25 on gumtree really soon.  Maybe an SL Zero too.

LoboLives

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2018, 08:59:48 PM »

Oh sick!  I'd thought they'd retired the SL line and was rather disappointed in what was left behind from what were the best quality and feature laden controller range for the price.
The sequencer is a bonus, brings it inline with some of the other manufacture's offerings (Akai and Korg have recently had controllers with basic sequencers onboard).  Wasn't expecting it to record CC's.  2xCV pitch/gate/mod outputs is a boon.  I think that there will be a ReMote 25 on gumtree really soon.  Maybe an SL Zero too.

I do hope that we'll see more onboard sequencer built into midi controllers in the future. I'd like to see them on some of the SP line of Kurzweil's stuff as well as opposed to exclusively on the Forte and PC3 lines.

megamarkd

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
I posted before the demo vid had finished playing.  The Circuit styling of the sequencer workflow makes it a must buy now!  Lucky the BSP has a drum sequencer on it, or it might have gone on the classifieds pages too, though my Circuit is now definitely going there.

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
Well i said I wouldn't buy anything till next year after investing in the P12.  But.... a couple years ago I watch the small company Polyend develop a sequencer that was right up my ally....  Something that wouldn't take me a year to figure out and not strain my eyes on a computer either.  So after they made some firmware improvements and got it into distribution,  the time seemed right.  Need new tires for the car and bills to pay, so selling a few items I'm not using to help offset the cost.

Trust me folks, I'm not a sequencer expert, but this sequencer is really neat.    I cannot wait to post some stuff.   Been playing around with it hooked to Vermona MK2 and also to P12.  I'm grateful the videos posted on Youtube thus far exist, but they are few.  So it took some blind faith in the intrinsic design to sway me.  There's a lot of breadth on this to be explored and shared.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
Nice one, it's good to have lots of buttons :)

I have been thinking of getting a polyend/dreadbox for a while, one day.

Just got hold of an op-z here, the sequencer on it is pretty neat but also strangely limited to 16 step patterns.

It has step/trig parameters for everything and also what they call "components" which are like functions you can add to a step, rather like the Genoqs sequencers but not quite so advanced.

Neat little thing though.

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2018, 01:37:50 PM »
A little bit of the Polyend.   I used the Nord Lead 4 as you can set four separate midi channels going in.  Please be patient to get past the annoying "drums"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVwNiYLwn8Q
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

ddp

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »
Yeah!  It's a fun sequencer, I still like mine.  It's more fun to use than the Push 2.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

jok3r

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2018, 03:10:19 AM »
I'm interested in the SEQ, too. But as far as I know, if you want to play Chords on a Synth with it, you have to use several tracks? Is that right? I really would like this hardware interface for a sequencer, which has polyphonic tracks...

I'm just asking, because I read "8 polyphonic tracks" in a description from a local retailer and wanted to clarify finally, if the tracks are mono- or polyphonic.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
Jok3r, 

The SEQ if you are recording live and polyphonically into to it will require a track for every finger that is pressed at once.  I rarely play better than 4 note chords, so, for example,  4 tracks are used.   Each button of the 32 steps can only hold one note value.   One of the perks in this sequencer versus the Arturia Keystep which I also have, is that I can output individual tracks to separate midi channels.  What I had in mind when I got it was to use it mainly on the Vermona Perfourmer to take advantage of it's four layers.   I do have a Doepher Darktime sequencer, but that is limited to two out channels.   

LoboLives

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2018, 12:08:20 AM »
I’m really trying to find the ARP version of the Korg SQ1. It looks like you can only get it when you get an Odyssey FS but I want to just get it on its own to sequence two Odyssey modules. Can’t seem to find anyone selling them second hand either. Ugh.

megamarkd

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2018, 01:30:19 AM »
I’m really trying to find the ARP version of the Korg SQ1. It looks like you can only get it when you get an Odyssey FS but I want to just get it on its own to sequence two Odyssey modules. Can’t seem to find anyone selling them second hand either. Ugh.

Isn't the only difference the colour scheme?  I know having a unique look is nice, but in the end if they do the same thing you may have to settle for the regular black and Korg stylings.  I'll keep an eye out on for you down here.

jok3r

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2018, 01:41:20 AM »
Jok3r, 

The SEQ if you are recording live and polyphonically into to it will require a track for every finger that is pressed at once.  I rarely play better than 4 note chords, so, for example,  4 tracks are used.   Each button of the 32 steps can only hold one note value.

That's exactly what I thought. Thanks for finally confirming me. I really was confused, because of some unclear statements I read somewhere...

LoboLives

« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2018, 08:09:45 AM »

Isn't the only difference the colour scheme?  I know having a unique look is nice, but in the end if they do the same thing you may have to settle for the regular black and Korg stylings.  I'll keep an eye out on for you down here.

Yeah it’s totally ridiculous to obsess over the look of something but I can’t help it lol. Thanks!

megamarkd

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »

Yeah it’s totally ridiculous to obsess over the look of something but I can’t help it lol. Thanks!

Don't worry mate, I'm thinking of buying a second Beatstep Pro in black, because I've never really dug the "iSequencer" look of it (and it's keyboard sibling too! ;) )

chysn

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2018, 07:28:37 AM »

I get it, too. I spent a lot of extra money to get a red Little Phatty. But those ARP-styled SQ-1s have to be really hard to find. Maybe you can get a regular one with an eye toward replacing it later?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »

I get it, too. I spent a lot of extra money to get a red Little Phatty. But those ARP-styled SQ-1s have to be really hard to find. Maybe you can get a regular one with an eye toward replacing it later?

Wonder if I should just get the Odyssey full size with the sq1. Play the Odyssey for a few recordings and then sell it and use the money to get two modules.

megamarkd

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »

Wonder if I should just get the Odyssey full size with the sq1. Play the Odyssey for a few recordings and then sell it and use the money to get two modules.

There's a plan!