Hardware Sequencers

chysn

Re: Hardware Sequencers
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 05:22:33 AM »
One that hasn't been mentioned here yet is the Arturia Beatstep Pro. The BSP comes in at about 1/4 of the cost of most of these things. It's really small and plastic, but it has two CV and one trigger-based track, and supports multiple projects, and it has a CV implementation that's earned it a place as the de facto external eurorack sequencer. It's kind of geared toward performance.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »
One that hasn't been mentioned here yet is the Arturia Beatstep Pro. The BSP comes in at about 1/4 of the cost of most of these things. It's really small and plastic, but it has two CV and one trigger-based track, and supports multiple projects, and it has a CV implementation that's earned it a place as the de facto external eurorack sequencer. It's kind of geared toward performance.
My experience with the Beatstep was so bad that I never considered getting a Pro. Perhaps a pity, but I am ready for the Cirklon.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »
Only a little about sequencers but a great interview with Dave Smith by AudioNowCast:

https://youtu.be/j-yqvFxIc7k

DSI could do a great Sequential-branded sequencer. They've got the software experience, the experience with assignable CV, and the awesome Prophet 5/6-style pushbuttons.

And a history...

https://www.modularsynthesis.com/SCI/700/m700.htm

chysn

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »
My experience with the Beatstep was so bad that I never considered getting a Pro. Perhaps a pity, but I am ready for the Cirklon.

The Beatstep and Beatstep Pro aren't even in the same universe. However, the Beatstep Pro and Cirklon are also not in the same universe.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 03:19:57 AM »

I mentioned it, didn't I?  It and my Keystep are my go-to sequencers!  So simple yet so usable and versatile.  I'm going to give my Pyramid another swing, it's changed so much since I got it, I need to basically pretend I've only just received and start from scratch.  The BSP and Keystep combo is just so much more switch-on and go, I've put the Pyramid to the side for a good while now (Squarp are on the verge of firmware vers. 3, I'm still on 1.x)

The Beatstep and Beatstep Pro aren't even in the same universe. However, the Beatstep Pro and Cirklon are also not in the same universe.

My word are the Beatstep and BSP are two different world.  Beatstep seemed not thought through properly.  It's lack of a MIDI in on DIN plugs for example (what were they thinking?!?).
Cirklon and BSP are also two very different machines, which is why when I get a Cirklon (I'll get one eventually), I'll probably still keep the BSP.  It's just such a great little tool to get three instruments up and running in an instant.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:30:37 AM by megamarkd »

LoboLives

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:54 PM »
I had my eye on this for a while. Made by a nice young chap in Toronto here.

https://youtu.be/fddT6y4eno0

megamarkd

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2018, 12:19:09 AM »
I had my eye on this for a while. Made by a nice young chap in Toronto here.

https://youtu.be/fddT6y4eno0

Oh the Carbon, my word that's a tasty looking sequencer.  I like the look of pretty much everything Kilpatrick Audio make, just need to get a piece to see if it's as tasty as I think it looks.
I'd not looked at the Carbon of awhile, I think maybe not since I got the Pyramid, but it's a bit of a Pyramid killer for around the same price.  I want to love my Pyramid, but for some reason it doesn't gel as well the other looping sequencers I own.

Considering I'm working on a modular, and even though I have a few CV sequencers, I'd like a sequencer in the modular, so the Kilpatrick Pattern Generator may get a look-in.

ddp

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2018, 12:33:26 AM »
Late to this thread, but I like my Polyend SEQ very much, the user interface is spectacular.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 10:14:02 AM »
Late to this thread, but I like my Polyend SEQ very much, the user interface is spectacular.

Wondering on how long delivery time is from order time.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

ddp

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
Noisebug and Foxtone Music both have the SEQ in stock at the moment, Noisebug's $100 cheaper.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

megamarkd

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »
Koma's Komplex......

chysn

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »
I've made my hardware sequencer selection. My choices eventually converged to two scenarios:

(1) Squarp Hermod - 26HP and about $470 USD
(2) Ornament and Crime and Varigate 4+ - Also 26HP and about $440 USD

I went with Ornament and Crime/Varigate 4+.

Ornament and Crime's software is open-source, and I've been able to pretty much bend the thing to my will. So if I ever have a crazy idea (like modulation sources based on cellular automata*), I can make it happen right away.

Varigate 4+, on the other hand, is a more traditional modular sequencer. But it has some extra features, like four tracks, clock division and multiplication, glide, and various types of quantization. It's not as straightforward as was my Moskwa, but it's nicely-balanced.

The basic philosophical underpinning of my decision is that I want composition to be process-based rather than an end-to-end act of intent. Hermod would have supported the opposite philosophy quite nicely but, in the end, it isn't what I want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myTENbq0_g4
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

MPM

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2018, 06:23:19 AM »
I’m still on the Cirklon waiting list, but a while ago I got the Pyramid. Tired of waiting and I just got nauseous using Ableton.

After some issues on the Pyramid with the Subsequent37 OB6 Rev2 being tried as control keyboard, I got an arturia keystep for easier note input. I went in circles (or echos) trying to use the others!

I find the Pyramid a little more work than I’d like a sequencer to be, and I’ve gone off diving into fancy CC modulations with it for now. I’ll get back to that if I really need it, but what I have done using the touchpad to “draw” a modulation was a very pleasant surprise. I mostly spend time playing the keyboards directly, then just record in “live”mode using the keystep; basic rhythms put down in step mode.

As I said, it can be a little tricky, but it gets easier. I think I’ll still get the Cirklon when it’s my turn, based purely on the fact that it looks so damn easy to use in all the reviews, but the Pyramid is still a keeper.

OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

megamarkd

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
I have to agree that the Pyramid is a little too much work and menu diving.  I'd like to maybe swap over to the Hermod, but we'll see.  Right now I'm using the Beatstep Pro still as my master sequencer (tempo wise) and running an SQ-1 and a Fat Controller off it.  Cirklon is a dream of mine, maybe to one day happen, the biggest hurdle on that one being the wait time after parting with so much money.

Gomjab

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2018, 01:43:27 AM »
I have to agree that the Pyramid is a little too much work and menu diving.  I'd like to maybe swap over to the Hermod, but we'll see.  Right now I'm using the Beatstep Pro still as my master sequencer (tempo wise) and running an SQ-1 and a Fat Controller off it.  Cirklon is a dream of mine, maybe to one day happen, the biggest hurdle on that one being the wait time after parting with so much money.

They don’t charge you until it’s about ready to ship.

MPM

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2018, 10:59:44 PM »
That’s right. They haven’t asked for a cent. If you decide not to buy they just go to the next person on the list.

For myself with the Pyramid it’s been a matter of trying to keep it simple, with a sequencer built for funky EDM kids.
I get the impression that the Cirklon is biased towards good old fashioned sequencing (with some very convenient editing functions), while the Pyramid leans towards “performing”, and so sacrifices simplicity for greater pattern and modulation control in live performances? Either way, Pyramid definitely has everything I need and is a god sent blessing after using these new age DAW’s (get a DAW, call yourself a “Producer”  ::) )

When my Cirklon arrives I’ll transfer the files and see if there’s anything I’m missing from the Pyramid. Which ever one goes, I doubt I’ll make a loss. Might even make a profit.

Gomjab

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
That’s right. They haven’t asked for a cent. If you decide not to buy they just go to the next person on the list.

For myself with the Pyramid it’s been a matter of trying to keep it simple, with a sequencer built for funky EDM kids.
I get the impression that the Cirklon is biased towards good old fashioned sequencing (with some very convenient editing functions), while the Pyramid leans towards “performing”, and so sacrifices simplicity for greater pattern and modulation control in live performances? Either way, Pyramid definitely has everything I need and is a god sent blessing after using these new age DAW’s (get a DAW, call yourself a “Producer”  ::) )

When my Cirklon arrives I’ll transfer the files and see if there’s anything I’m missing from the Pyramid. Which ever one goes, I doubt I’ll make a loss. Might even make a profit.

When did you get on the wait list?  It was running 18 months last time I checked which puts me end of 2019.  I ordered a One 24 month 0% so it will depend how much of a dent I made in that free debt when I get the Cirklon call if I go through with purchase.

megamarkd

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 01:38:05 AM »
Cheers for the heads-up everyone.  Looks like I put my name on that list, then start the fund!

Anyone got an Engine?

MPM

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2018, 09:50:12 PM »
9 months wait so far. I hope lots of people renege on their orders so it comes sooner.

I looked at the Engine. Everything about it looks great.
But, where it falls short in my comparison to the Cirklon is that Engine has 8 tracks with a max 4 note poly. That’s not bad, but I’d like to take full advantage of my 16 voice Rev2.

It’s a max of 16notes per track on the Cirklon, and apparently infinity on the pyramid.

megamarkd

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2018, 12:53:31 AM »
9 months wait so far. I hope lots of people renege on their orders so it comes sooner.

I looked at the Engine. Everything about it looks great.
But, where it falls short in my comparison to the Cirklon is that Engine has 8 tracks with a max 4 note poly. That’s not bad, but I’d like to take full advantage of my 16 voice Rev2.

It’s a max of 16notes per track on the Cirklon, and apparently infinity on the pyramid.

If the Pyramid were a desktop pc, yeah infinite notes, but it's not and is limited by how much else is going on.  I've not hit the limit, but I'm not running any 128 voice polyphony instruments from it to even start to push it's events-per-step limit.

Oh yeah, I got an SQ-1 finally.  Good little box for running CV from.