OB6 Envelope Retrigger

OB6 Envelope Retrigger
« on: June 03, 2018, 04:23:56 PM »
When playing a note, the Ob6 appears to assign voices with whatever stage that voice's envelope is in (filter and VCA).  This means that long attacks (with long releases) get shortened when playing multiple notes past the 6 voice maximum.

Is there a way to have the OB6 re-trigger a voice's envelope on every note?

John
DSI OB6 (Keyboard) | Moog Model D (Re-issue) | John Bowen Solaris | Moog Voyager | Octave Cat | 2 Kurzweil Midiboard controllers for Poly AT

Re: OB6 Envelope Retrigger
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
It's called "voice stealing" artifacts. Solution: get a second OB6 (desktop version) and run it in Polychain mode, in order to get 12 voices and avoid voice stealing.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 06:56:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I agree - more voice are always better!

What I am referring to is how the OB6 handles voice re-assignment.  On my Solaris, there is an option that allows you to "re-trigger" (start over) or "re-assign" (use the current envelope stage).  Both have valid and different musical results - especially on pads.

I was just wondering if the OB6 had a setting for this. If not - and it is handled by the firmware, it would be one of my feature requests.

John

DSI OB6 (Keyboard) | Moog Model D (Re-issue) | John Bowen Solaris | Moog Voyager | Octave Cat | 2 Kurzweil Midiboard controllers for Poly AT

Jdoo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:27:16 AM »
Hi John -

You may be describing something else, but in case it's retriggering envelopes while using sustain...  Here is a block from the BKMs doc I threw together:

Notes Disappearing When I Use Sustain Pedal?
While there are many things that could be causing this … one of the first things I check, on any patch that has ‘disappearing’ notes (when I use a sustain pedal) is:  Note Priority.  Specifically, the envelop is not retriggering.   Though there are many great features and reasons for the various settings of note priority – it can also cause the OB to ‘hang on’ to notes, and not release them for the next notes.  Particularly, if you are using a sustain pedal, on a non-Unison patch.  So how to fix this?  Press the [Key MODE] button, then while holding it down, use the TENS/SELECT and/or BANK/SELECT buttons, to move through the various Note Priorities.   What you are looking for is one if the ones that have ‘r’ETRIGGER..  E.G.  LOr (Low Retrigger), Hir (High Retrigger), or LAr (Last Retrigger).   This is not an uncommon setting in commercial OB-6 patches.  In fact, when I am going through a new set – one of the first things I do, is fix retriggering

hth -

Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 09:13:40 AM »
Thanks Joe! You answered what was going to be my next post / question.  I've also noticed the same issue with re-triggering notes when using the sustain pedal. Your input fixed that issue for me!

I also tried your approach on my original issue - but it didn't seem to make a difference.  It's not a big issue, and as AlainHubert responded - more voices would help, allowing voices to return to the start of an envelope before being played.

To be able to choose how envelopes re-trigger per patch would be one of my feature requests for a future release (if it could be handled via a firmware update).

John

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 11:03:24 AM »
Thanks Joe,
I had the same problem and your answer solved it!
-Andy

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »
Key Assign or Key Mode settings are only relevant when using unison mode. "They do not affect polyphonic playback." I thought this was the case but had to look it up in the manual to confirm.

Aside from getting a second OB and using the polychain mode, shorter release times and/or using less notes is the the only way. When recording I sometimes break bigger chords into 2 passes/takes with each take playing 3 or less notes depending on the chords used.