Recording notes for MIDI out seq track

sofine

Recording notes for MIDI out seq track
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
So my Pro 2 arrived today. LOVE it. It's really inspiring to use, particularly connecting it up to other midi gear and sending arp / seq tracks out.

I can add midi notes step by step using the OLED display in order to send a midi seq track to another synth (as detaied here - https://davesmithinstruments.zendesk.com/entries/58194600-Sequencer-Out-MIDI-Out-2) , but I can't seem to record notes to this track using the keyboard. Everytime I try to add a note to my selected sequencer track it auatomatically adds them to track 1 (which is the default notes track to play the Pro 2 sounds) instead of the track I had actually selected.

Is this a bug or user error?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:00:55 PM by sofine »

Re: Recording notes for MIDI out seq track
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 12:05:02 PM »
Hi sofine,

It's neither a bug nor a user error.

By default, sequencer track 1 always controls oscillator frequency, which basically means that it's hard-wired for recording notes.

sofine

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »
Thanks Paul.

So, to clarify, there's no way for me to input notes for midi sequencing from the keyboard? I'd have to enter them one by one using the OLED and knob / buttons?

Cheers

Simon

sofine

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
Just to add that I heard back from Carson in DSI very, very quickly about this and he states:

"There is currently no ability to step record note data to any other track but track 1. The ability to step record note data to MIDI tracks is on our feature request list and I have added your vote to its tally. I, however, have no information regarding when/whether this would be implementable.

It's good to note that you can enter note data to a MIDI track by selecting the track and holding the button for the step you wish to enter note data to. Press a key on the key bed and you will see the played note entered to the step of the MIDI track. Repeat the process on different steps as needed."

So, the workaround is pretty cool. I can live with that!

Pym

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:22:56 PM »
I got this working today, it'll be in the next release
Sequential

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:35:01 PM »

Very cool! Any word on the likelihood of linear FM on top of that?

sofine

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:30:03 AM »

Great!

I had communicated a bug to Carson which he said you guys were aware of where a note triggers when transposing the sequencer. Did you manage to fix that one? As an extension to that, it sure would be good to have an option to transpose midi out tracks too.

Right, I think that's enough for this post :)

Cheers.

Simon