Output level from my new Prophet Rev 2. [SOLVED]

Output level from my new Prophet Rev 2. [SOLVED]
« on: June 01, 2018, 01:24:11 AM »
Hi all,

I picked up a new Prophet Rev 2 and it seems to be a bit low in volume compared to my other synths.

I set the output of the synth to maximum and recorded at unity into my audio interface (A Focusrite Red 16 Line) and I am getting a level much lower than I would expect.

Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my synth?

Many thanks.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:27:07 AM by extempo »

Re: Output level from my new Prophet Rev 2.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:10:39 AM »
You have three or four variables at play:
  • Rev2 internal signal path
  • Rev2 outputs
  • cables
  • audio interface

Set the unit to Mono in the Global Settings (takes the internal signal path / effects out of play), then record some audio.

If you see a consistent reduction on one side of the recorded audio, it could be your audio interface, or the cables.

Next, try swapping the cables at both ends (audio interface + Rev2 outputs). If the reduction shifts, then you've got a bad cable.

If the reduction remains in the same position, then try swapping the cables at the Rev2 end only. If the reduction shifts, then there is an issue at the Rev2.

If the reduction remains in the same position, then try swapping the cables at the audio interface end only; if there is still no change, then you need to check your audio interface / configuration (as you have effectively ruled out both the Rev2 and the cables).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »
You have three or four variables at play:
  • Rev2 internal signal path
  • Rev2 outputs
  • cables
  • audio interface

Set the unit to Mono in the Global Settings (takes the internal signal path / effects out of play), then record some audio.

If you see a consistent reduction on one side of the recorded audio, it could be your audio interface, or the cables.

Next, try swapping the cables at both ends (audio interface + Rev2 outputs). If the reduction shifts, then you've got a bad cable.

If the reduction remains in the same position, then try swapping the cables at the Rev2 end only. If the reduction shifts, then there is an issue at the Rev2.

If the reduction remains in the same position, then try swapping the cables at the audio interface end only; if there is still no change, then you need to check your audio interface / configuration (as you have effectively ruled out both the Rev2 and the cables).

Thanks for the response but it isn't a bad cable or audio interface.

All my other synths are outputting (in mono) using the same cable(s) to about -10db.

The Prophet is around -30db (ish).
My question though is this an expected level for this synth, or is there something wrong with my particular unit?

I have updated firmware, recalibrated as per the manual.
I have set it to mono too in a test since running the one in my first post.

Here it is in mono:
First recording is a Moog Sub37 with everything turned up and it hits -10 (playing one note)
Taking out the cable from the Moog and putting it into the Prophet and recording I get -30db (again playing one note).
That can't be right, can it?

Swapping cables and channels doesn't make a difference.
I fired up my old Apoggee Rosetta FW interface and it is the same, with a different set of cables.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:53:50 AM by octatonic »

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »
Put it in 16 (or 8) voice Unison and see if the output is any hotter. With so many voices to sum at the final output in the Rev2, we have to leave lots of headroom.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 10:43:40 PM »
Are you comparing init patches? Filters, wave shaping, VCA attenuation and all of that will obviously have an effect. Also, don't forget there's a Program Volume under Misc Params.

Put it in 16 (or 8) voice Unison and see if the output is any hotter. With so many voices to sum at the final output in the Rev2, we have to leave lots of headroom.
I thought it was a bit quiet too until I hit a large chord and had to turn the master volume down.  8)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »
I heard from OP in support that they are no longer experiencing the behavior reported here initially.
SEQUENTIAL

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
I heard from OP in support that they are no longer experiencing the behavior reported here initially.
Thanks for letting us know.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Re: Output level from my new Prophet Rev 2. [SOLVED]
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 01:25:02 AM »
Sorry I forgot to update.

I recalibrated oscillators and filters and I'm getting more level now.
Thank you for the assistance and big props to the guys at DSI for helping me too.

Re: Output level from my new Prophet Rev 2. [SOLVED]
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 03:07:01 AM »
Sorry I forgot to update.

I recalibrated oscillators and filters and I'm getting more level now.
Thank you for the assistance and big props to the guys at DSI for helping me too.
Thank you for the update. Enjoy your rev 2!
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice