Prophet X Operation Manual

Prophet X Operation Manual
« on: May 31, 2018, 12:06:56 PM »
Here's the operation manual for the Prophet X.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:22:38 AM by extempo »
SEQUENTIAL

Re: Prophet X Operation Manual
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:13:08 AM »
It would be nice to have a sample list and a preset list too, thanks :)

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:23:20 AM »
Patience, grasshopper  ;)
SEQUENTIAL

ddp

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »
I got lost in the piano section at Moogfest.  There are so many sounds in that thing it will make your head spin...
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
Absolutely fantastic. I'm reading through the manual extensively so when it arrives I'm going to be doing some videos of me doing walk through and demonstration with it.

I've always wanted to be able to manipulate acoustic sounds like strings, horns and articulate them the same way I could articulate analog oscillators and now I can. Sure I can go bananas and make it sounds uncrecognizable but there is something to be said about the ability to add a flutter or growl with an LFO to a sax or trumpet or glide to strings without having to menu dive to do it. It's all right there, bam, done. No ability to lose a musical idea simply because you have to menu dive to program the articulation. I don't think people realize how important that is. So many times you hear saxophone patches or trumpet patches and they are polyphonic...why? It's not possible to play chords on a monophonic instrument. But now? Press Unison and the problem is solved. You can layer two French horns and tune one a half step off so it makes a cluster. I don't think people will realize it's full potential on how realistic the Prophet X can sound.

While I fully intend to do synth based pieces with this instrument (I've already thought of a few themes and a few covers I could do with it) I also intend to use it as my main instrument if I want to record or compose a jazz piece or classical piece. I don't think many demos of the Prophet X will do that but I sure will.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
I really appreciate having the manual available.  Thank you!  It gives the obsessive among us with pre-orders something to digest.  It certainly clears up a few things and makes the scope of the instrument obvious.  It also leaves plenty of mysteries to explore when mine finally arrives, but that's inevitable.  I think it does a great job as is of giving an overview and making clear how the instrument is intended to be approached.  Nicely done.

I took quite a few notes while doing my first pass through that might be useful for doing some quick editorial changes for the next revision:

ERRORS

Page 20 “TAB 3 - Inst Loop” under Loop Mode it states you can change the size of the pitch period by pressing Soft Key 3 (Inst1 Edit), but the diagram above shows Inst1 Edit as Soft Key 4.

Page 29 “TAB 2 - Panning” lists the value ranges for Osc 1 Pan and Osc 2 Pan as -64L…64R when presumably both should be -64L…63R.

Page 57 “Modulation Examples” in the mod wheel vibrato example suggest Soft Knob 3 has two different behaviors.  In step 4 it’s used to set the modulation amount, and then in step 5 to scroll through destinations.  Presumably one of these is intended to be Soft Knob 4 instead?

Page 57 “Modulation Example” in the filter cutoff example Soft Knob 4 as described as adjusting modulation amount and selecting destinations.  One of these is clearly intended to be Soft Knob 3.

TYPOS + FORMATTING

Page 59 “Effects” is missing a space after the comma in the phrase “for best performance,run the flangers”

Page 69 “Additional Sequencer Parameters (Display Menus)” “Set Length” is doubtless intended to be bold like the other items listed.

Page 81 “Modulation Wheel” the word hold is misspelled “hod” in the shortcut text.

Page 118 “Exporting Programs and Banks” describes Dump Current All Banks as a command, but the extra word “Current” is clearly incorrect.

SUGGESTIONS

Page 7 “Creating a Program from Scratch” step 3 describes a shortcut, but presumably this is a shortcut for steps 1-4 and not just this single step.  Perhaps this should be listed after all four steps?

Page 16: "Sample Playback Parameters (Front Panel)” says to hold down the group button to select between factory and user samples.  This is likely incomplete, as on page 122 under “Importing Add-On Samples/Instruments” the manual states that you press Group and turn the Type knob.  Perhaps both should be corrected to state that you need to hold Group while turning the Type knob?

Page 22 “Oscillators” describes oscillators as providing the raw building blocks of the Prophet X’s sound.  While true on most DSI instruments, here it seems out of place since sampled instruments are also raw building blocks for sound.  Perhaps “provide additional raw building block” or similar?

Page 65 “Clock Parameters” the Tap Tempo description says “for best results” tap the button 4 times, where previously the manual states that the Tap Tempo button must be pressed four times.  Which is it?

Page 116 “Using USB” states that MIDI Out and USB can be used at the same time and transmit the same data.  This is in conflict with Page 141 “Appendix E: MIDI Implementation” which describes MIDI Out Select as allowing one or the other, but not both, to be selected.

NITS

Page 25 “Oscillator Parameters (Front Panel)” under Slop 1&2 the manual asserts that the oscillators are stable and will not drift.  This seems odd given the next statement. Perhaps “will not drift unless configured to do so” or similar?

Page 30 “TAB 3 - Hack/Deci” states that Bit Hack reduces bit depth from 16-bit down to 1-bit.  Perhaps it should be clearer about the bit depth actually being selectable?  Something like “reduces the bit depth of the original 16-bit samples by a selectable number of bits, so a value of 15 results in nasty 1-bit fidelity” or similar?

Page 87 “Synthesis 101: Synth Bass” describes a sine wave as having very few harmonics.  A perfect sine wave has no harmonics, only its fundamental pitch.  What is this trying to convey?

Page 116 “Using USB” references Mac OS X.  Apple has rebranded their modern operating systems as macOS, but understandably that might not be familiar enough to be clear.  Still, just FYI.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Thanks for the edits! We'll roll these into the online manual shortly.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 08:27:27 PM »
Hello,

I'm really enjoying peeling through my Prophet X manual. What a dorky thing to say! Anyway...

I noticed that on Page 13, Global Settings is mentioned to be on page 119, but it's actually on 123.

Cheers!

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 06:11:09 AM »

+1

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »

+1

+1
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »

There was a sample list posted by another user, and Sequential added a preset list to their support links a while back.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 08:58:46 AM »

There was a sample list posted by another user, and Sequential added a preset list to their support links a while back.

THANK you SO much for this VERY useful link!! :)
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 06:20:52 PM »

Attached is the preset list in Excel format, to save others having to extract it from the PDF.  I've started a very simple taxonomy, which you might want to change to your own taste.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
I made a version of the Px manual that's 1 page to a page rather than 2. I find it easier to read. I did this a few months back so I apologize if it's not the current one.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 02:28:11 PM »
  its quite easy to see the presets using the sound editor, albiet after shelling out more cash.. ;(