transformers making sound more "analog"

transformers making sound more "analog"
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »
OK, so I got a REV2, and I've been curious to try something.  If you want your REV2 to sound more, well, "analog," try running it through some transformers.  Holy crap, this really works.  OK, so what I'm doing isn't cheap, but I already had this stuff "lying around" so I thought I'd try it.  Run the REV2 into a Radial JDI Duplex to get it down to mic level (transfomer #1).  This first transformer will not alter the sound much.  Then run that into a Great River MP-2NV transformer-based mic pre.  The secret is to drive the input transformer (transformer #2) until you've achieved the desired level of analog-ness, while turning down the output transformer stage (transformer #3).  By adjusting the input and output gain you have complete control over the level of analog-ness.  This kinda rocks and will be used a lot during tracking.  It takes a sound that's kinda plastic to something very organic.  A filter sweep on a bass sound like F1 P101 is a creamier, less buzzier affair.  Yeah, filter sweeps are much nicer now.  I'd love to find a cheaper permanent option to attach to the REV2, not sure what it is?
Moog Voyager, Novation Peak, Waldorf Microwave XT, Nord Wave, Emu Audity 2000, Yamaha SY85 & TG500, Waldorf Pulse+, Yamaha FS1R, Sequential Pro One, Korg Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha CS-15, MFB Tanzbar, Crumar Bit-99, Emu Emax I, Casio FZ-20M, 12U of Eurorack.

Re: transformers making sound more "analog"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 12:11:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.
What you're doing is essentially distorting the sound. The same effect can be achieved using the onboard "Distorsion" effect, with these settings: FX Mix 127, Dist Gain 149, Dist Tone 50. (you can tweak these to your liking of course)
The result is a much more "analog" type sound. It's simple and free !
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »
This should give you a reasonable idea of what's taking place:

http://jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Audio-Transformers-Chapter.pdf (note that Radial Engineering now owns Jensen Transformers).

By comparison to Jensen, Lundahl tends to shoot for a different sound (or no "sound" at all): https://www.lundahltransformers.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/design_philosophies.pdf

and Great River specifically winds their own for a bit of that "bass bump".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:11:58 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 01:49:23 PM »
I use Golden Age Project Pre-73s or a Peavey VMP 2 for adding that slightly overdriven color. But like AlainHubert mentions, light onboard Distortion can also work well. I do wish there were an overdrive gain stage between OSC and filter but post works pretty well in most cases.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 10:29:47 PM »
I've actually found a more sane solution that does similar things, a Rane ME15S constant-Q graphic EQ.  There is unsatisfying low bass drop off in the REV2, a simple boost of 0.75db at both 25 and 40HZ helps recover that drop.  Then there is the ever-present buzz from the oscillators with the filter more open, a cut at 16kHz of 2dB helps things to be less buzzy, while letting just enough brightness through, it's warmer, more "analog," perhaps.  i swear there is some kind of mojo going on this in this Rane that I found for $50, all the patches sound better running through it, the stereo field seems wider, that's unexpected.  Some phase shifting perhaps, even collapsed into mono it sounds subjectively better.  Well that was a good use of $50!
Moog Voyager, Novation Peak, Waldorf Microwave XT, Nord Wave, Emu Audity 2000, Yamaha SY85 & TG500, Waldorf Pulse+, Yamaha FS1R, Sequential Pro One, Korg Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha CS-15, MFB Tanzbar, Crumar Bit-99, Emu Emax I, Casio FZ-20M, 12U of Eurorack.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 06:25:31 AM »
I've actually found a more sane solution that does similar things, a Rane ME15S constant-Q graphic EQ.  There is unsatisfying low bass drop off in the REV2, a simple boost of 0.75db at both 25 and 40HZ helps recover that drop.  Then there is the ever-present buzz from the oscillators with the filter more open, a cut at 16kHz of 2dB helps things to be less buzzy, while letting just enough brightness through, it's warmer, more "analog," perhaps.  i swear there is some kind of mojo going on this in this Rane that I found for $50, all the patches sound better running through it, the stereo field seems wider, that's unexpected.  Some phase shifting perhaps, even collapsed into mono it sounds subjectively better.  Well that was a good use of $50!

Nice!

Keep in mind that you're getting an electronically-balanced output as well, and it's probable that the input impedance of the Rane EQ is a nice / better match for the output impedance of the Rev2.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:27:17 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000