Double Prophet 6 Project

LoboLives

Double Prophet 6 Project
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
I've really being contemplating this or not. I've always been a fan of the Prophet-10 and although I've been contemplating the idea for a while I think I might start taking it more seriously. I'm thinking of creating a custom dual keyboard version of the Prophet 6 eventually sometime next year. Likely I won't be sacrificing my Prophet 6 keyboard but rather get two modules and place them side by side. That will come later though. Right now I'm stuck in the "What would I need?" phase.

Most dual manual controllers are organ action so I'd likely have to do this as a custom order as I'd like it to somewhat match the wood of the Prophet 6's side panels.

I would want to have both modules dedicated to individual keyboards but I also want the ability to stack them as well as midi sync them to the Tempest. Each module only has one MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, AND MIDI THRU.

So what would I need is likely a midi solutions box for each Module but I'm not sure how the order of the midi cables would go?

Also would DSI actually want to help with such a project? In regards to supplying stuff like the "SEQUENTIAL" plate or something?

Any suggestions on how I should go about this?

Re: Double Prophet 6 Project
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 01:37:03 AM »
Are you any good at programming? If so, a Teensy should be able to handle all the midi stuff. The link is to the USB midi page but it works more or less the same for midi over serial.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:09:17 AM »
The side panels are removable on the Prophet-6 and OB-6 desktop modules, so it would be possible to attach the first to the second side-to-side. Alternately, one can mount both to a thin piece of laminated plywood (longer screws) or metal sheet by way of the bottom screws (remove bottom plate on each).

If I recall correctly, the main board for the desktop modules has the connectors for the bend box and aftertouch, though these would be homed to a specific module and would not be assignable.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
I'm thinking of creating a custom dual keyboard version of the Prophet 6 eventually sometime next year. Likely I won't be sacrificing my Prophet 6 keyboard but rather get two modules and place them side by side.
Any suggestions on how I should go about this?

You must be Geddy Lee! It took me ages to notice that he actually had a Minimoog grafted into the same box as his Oberheim 4-voice.

If you have the money to buy teo P6 modules/desktops and then modify them at your own risk to link them to two keyboard manuals, I should think you could get some carpenter to build a koa wood case for the instrument to make it extra decadent and call it a Rev 1 Prophet XII or something.

On the other hand, couldn't you just have two Prophet-6s on a keyboard stand? Maybe Dave made the P6 only 4 octaves so he could sell two to people who wanted more octaves and didn't like MIDI cables.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:34:03 AM by DaveP6guy »
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.